Bored of Andy Sugden?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
I've never been his biggest fan, but Andy has had his redeeming months - I thought he was quite tolerable when Sarah was ill, and I like his scenes at the farm and with Diane and Victoria. I also thought putting him and Katie together again was good for both characters.

I know Andy's grieving, so of course he's going to be a mess at the moment, but I'm really struggling to sympathise with him...
I also thought the suicide thing was handled really badly. People with suicidal thoughts tend to believe they have nothing to live for and Debbie shouting at him for being selfish really got on my wick...

I don't know where Andy can go from here - when he eventually finds out Robert was responsible, he'll go back to this place again...what's the point?

It's not that I don't like seeing characters grieve - I thought April, Bob and even Marlon (:o) grieving for Donna incredibly poignant...just Andy bores me!

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mind him even though he pulls that funny face all the time. Even though he is very muscular I dont find him at all attractive. He needs to get a grip and man up though, I have sympathy with him to an extent for losing Katie but a lot of men lose their wives and they dont all go trying to drive off cliffs, especially when they have two young kids to consider.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yeah I don't see the attraction either - I'm sure he's very attractive, just doesn't do it for me!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have loathed Hopwood since his first appearance.
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    I feel the same. I didn't feel anything for the scene where he found Katie dead, whereas I've felt moved and sad for other soap characters going through difficult times. He's always annoyed me as he's always just came across as miserable or angry all the time. The hand injury didn't do anything to appeal his character to me either.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Awful character, sick to death him. I don't rate the actor either.
    He treated Katie like shit, tried to dump her for no good reason, then acts devastated that he's lost his whole future blah blah blah... wtf? Utterly nonsensical. He also had just as much vendetta against Robert as she did until his sudden bizarre, out of character 180. The whole thing is just stupid. And the suicide stuff was appallingly handled all round.
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked him in Emmerdale, even when he was just a kid. I've always found him irritating, and the same with Robert. I suppose I'll always see Andy as a wife beater, as thats how I think of him since the Jo era. I felt no sympathy for him at all over Katies death, and I can see angry Andy reappearing a split second after he discovers Robert killed her. Yet I cried along with Marlon Bob And little April...and with Brenda & Chas over Gennie.

I also cannot quite fathom Robert suddenly becoming Bi sexual! There was never any sign of it in his previous appearences.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not bored of Andy. To me he's a good character and kelvin plays him well.
  • stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    I feel the same. I didn't feel anything for the scenKatie re he found Katie dead, whereas I've felt moved and sad for other soap characters going through difficult times. He's always annoyed me as he's always just came across as miserable or angry all the time. The hand injury didn't do anything to appeal his character to me either.

Your feelings mean the writing , along with the characters and acting of Andy and Katie,
    has been an epic failure for 14 years.:(
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never liked him from day one. Cringing snidey little sh*t that grew into a big cringing snidey sh*t. I have always sided with Robert the real Sugden not some cuckoo in the nest, shoving Robert out so he could cosy up to gullible Jack, who went to prison for him and took a bullet from him. He wasn't even Robert's friend from school as I have read on other forums, he was a city kid that Jack and Sarah gave a free holiday to among others, scary spice's real sister was one of the kids (she was awful at acting btw)

All he does is be angry and blame others for everything that happens to him, He is always threatening people, look how he was with Moira over his "life changing accident" to his arm which has been completely forgotten, which was his own fault for not taking proper safety precautions, his beating of Jo because the farm was losing money, his fault again by overestimating how good a farmer he is, his treatment of Debbie, sleeping with her when she was just a kid and when she got pregnant he didn't want to know. Etc etc.

He didn't really attempt suicide, he was just looking for sympathy and foisting himself on Robert in Lawrence's home is a bloody cheek. One minute he is slagging Robert off for sleeping with Katy, it takes two btw, the next when he thinks he is being given a free farm he is all over Robert, talking about his brother and all being family, helped along by that daft old bat Diane. He is a leech and I wish he would just go away. I actually detest him more than Marlon and that's saying something.
  • stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never liked him from day one. Cringing snidey little sh*t that grew into a big cringing snidey sh*t. I have always sided with Robert the real Sugden not some cuckoo in the nest, shoving Robert out so he could cosy up to gullible Jack, who went to prison for him and took a bullet from him. He wasn't even Robert's friend from school as I have read on other forums, he was a city kid that Jack and Sarah gave a free holiday to among others, scary spice's real sister was one of the kids (she was awful at acting btw)

All he does is be angry and blame others for everything that happens to him, He is always threatening people, look how he was with Moira over his "life changing accident" to his arm which has been completely forgotten, which was his own fault for not taking proper safety precautions, his beating of Jo because the farm was losing money, his fault again by overestimating how good a farmer he is, his treatment of Debbie, sleeping with her when she was just a kid and when she got pregnant he didn't want to know. Etc etc.

He didn't really attempt suicide, he was just looking for sympathy and foisting himself on Robert in Lawrence's home is a bloody cheek. One minute he is slagging Robert off for sleeping with Katy, it takes two btw, the next when he thinks he is being given a free farm he is all over Robert, talking about his brother and all being family, helped along by that daft old bat Diane. He is a leech and I wish he would just go away. I actually detest him more than Marlon and that's saying something.

Robert was responsible for the death of someone and then covered up his crime.which has turned him in to nothing more than a lying killer. This crime makes him far more evil than Andy has ever been!
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    No not bored of Andy. To me he's a good character and kelvin plays him well.

I agree. I wasn't keen on him back when he was hitting Jo. However, the actor is doing a good job with this serious story. I like Andy now. One of the better storylines on the show recently.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will forgive him for a lot that he has done if he stands up for Alicia as he did tonight!:D
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will forgive him for a lot that he has done if he stands up for Alicia as he did tonight!:D

Same here. I don't like Andy but I cheered when he did that :)
  • Julie_SmithJulie_Smith Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Wish old rubber lips would stop whining
  • LMLM Posts: 63,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this storyline reminded me what a dreadful actor he is. I also think the character has reached it's end now with Katie gone. But Kelvin is rather loyal to the show and likely knows his lack of talent won't get him anywhere if he ever left.