"No Disc" Messages

Hello. - I have recently purchased a new DVD recorder, and have successfully tested it by playing a DVD recorded from a TV programme, with no problems. What I cannot understand is, when I attempt to play that DVD on a different DVD player that I have in another room, I get a message "No Disc" as though it does not recognise it. I used an Arita DVD+R dual-layer disk. Can anyone please suggest a reason and a solution for this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you Finalise the disk?

Until you do that it is only guaranteed to work in the machine you recorded it on. It may also play on another recorder but even that is not absolutely reliable. But many players are unable to read recordable disks until they have been finalised.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ditto
  • tempcontroltempcontrol Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    In fact no player will play an unfinalised write once disc.

However , even once finalised the problem may be that its dual layer.
    Some players may have trouble with dual layer of either + or - or even both.

If the player is quite new it should have no trouble but if its a few years old then it could have trouble recognising any recordable let alone a DL one.

Let us know how you get on
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the actual recorder is playing the disk, a special file system is used to allow this I believe.

But for playback on another DVD player it will need to be "finalised" by the DVD recorder that it was recorded on. It will be in the menu somewhere.

If the disk is not yet "finalised" then you can usually add more recordings to it (until full obviously). To watch the DVD on another player you must finalise it athough maybe you could read it on a PC without doing that.

once finalised you cannot add any more recordings onto that disk

(If it's an eraseable disk then you can obviously just erase it all and start again)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thank goodnes there are some geniuses left in the world!! Have now "finalized" the disc and it plays perfectly! Perhaps next time I will do what so many people have suggested, and "Read the Instructions First" Many thanks to you all and best regards.