The Simon Cowell Appreciation Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off to bed now all this speculating has worn me out :yawn: See you 2moro to discuss the next thrilling instalment :)

Simon and the actress/pop star/model/Uncle Tom Cobly and all :D

Bye the way i nipped over to Saula land to get there take on things ( apart from a cover for Saula) I didn't realise Allie had moved on. I thought this thread had been quiet :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    I have a different take on Simon 's so -called 'fake' engagement. I don't think that it was fake and I don't think that it was Max's idea.

At the time, Simon had just turned the big 50 and I think it freaked him out. He has a reputation for being a terrible actor...eg. how happy he looked with Mez...not! At the time of their engagement, it was just before the beginning of the live shows for Simon's last season on AI. He was completely besotted with her. He was always looking at her and every time there was a break he had to run over to see her. One night they must have had an argument, because Mez didn't show and Simon was a complete basketcase. Even Ryan commented that he had never seen Simon look so nervous.

I think that at the beginning Simon was totally in love with Mez. But as the weeks went by, the passion cooled, he got over being 50, Mez changed because now she was his 'fiancee' which gave her certain rights and priviledges and Simon realized that the last thing on earth that he wanted was to give up his freedom and get married. Then he had to bide his time, during which he was miserable and figure out a way to get out of the mess that he had gotten himself into.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just have to have this book,
    it's almost too good to be true for a showbiz fan :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been away for a while, and am still trying to catch up on all the Simon news, not expecting that so much was going to happen while I was gone! :eek:

I want to say that I appreciate all the posters here on this thread for their thoughtful, interesting analysis and discussion of what's gone on the last few days. It's making it all a little easier to digest. Mich78, in particular, I feel like you are taking thoughts right out of my head. :) (Which may or may not be a good thing, LOL.)

One thing I wanted to comment on, I always thought the Tony tweet to fake Max about nobody in the family wanting him around was a reaction to Simon's clearly forced, fake engagement to Mezhgan, which I'm sure was Max's idea. Simon NEVER seemed comfortable with that whole set-up, and I'm certain it contributed greatly to his obvious misery during the majority of 2010. I'm guessing that something of major concern happened in Simon's life (I'm sure we'll never know what), and somehow Max convinced Simon that an "engagement" was the best move to make, not taking into account how uncomfortable he was going to be with it. Even though Tony was a fool for responding to fake Max, it was one of the few times I liked what he said, since I think he was sincerely speaking with Simon's best interests in mind.

The stories that have come out in the last few days are making me very sad, because I hate that once again Simon seems to be trying way too hard to make people believe that he's not gay. And, like all the other times, it seems to be doing him more harm than good. :(

Sometimes it really hard to be a Simon fan. I think I'll just play that fantastic interview he did with Ryan last week on a continuous loop until I feel better. ;)

Thanks Vanilla, that's a nice shout out, although perhaps i should apologise for encouraging such thoughts?! :D

Totally agree about the Tony tweet. I did in a way admire him for it - although the stupidity to put it out there in public was unbelievable - but if he meant it genuinely to protect Simon, then it was spontaneous moment which showed he cared more than i often give him credit for! I can't believe the press didn't pick up on this possible rift. Either the tweet went unnoticed, or Max buried a story as usual.

I think Simon teamed up with TB for this very reason - because Mezhgan was such a disaster and he couldn't face having another fake relationship forced on him. A book detailing his many conquests instead - especially Dannii to feed the tabloids - would give him enough "ladies man" cover not to bother with another public romance.

It's back fired, of course and i think however innocent it started out, David Walliams' gay/camp jibes have sowed the seeds in some peoples minds, who perhaps had not seriously considered Simon to be gay before. Another difficult one, as telling David to stop would make him look childish and defensive, plus it's bringing in ratings and is not malicious anyway.

I'm actually starting to think that Simon could come out in the UK and get away with it - or perhaps he would have to say he was Bi to save a few peoples blushes. We love a great "fall from grace" story (please don't take that as homophobic) but if he confessed to feeling too scared to come out before and that the covers spiralled out of control etc, i think he could survive it. Either that or be really brash and handle it with humour like George Michael did. I can't see it playing out well in America and the risk of implicating Ryan, as i mentioned earlier, wouldn't be worth it anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    Thanks Vanilla, that's a nice shout out, although perhaps i should apologise for encouraging such thoughts?! :D

Totally agree about the Tony tweet. I did in a way admire him for it - although the stupidity to put it out there in public was unbelievable - but if he meant it genuinely to protect Simon, then it was spontaneous moment which showed he cared more than i often give him credit for! I can't believe the press didn't pick up on this possible rift. Either the tweet went unnoticed, or Max buried a story as usual.

I think Simon teamed up with TB for this very reason - because Mezhgan was such a disaster and he couldn't face having another fake relationship forced on him. A book detailing his many conquests instead - especially Dannii to feed the tabloids - would give him enough "ladies man" cover not to bother with another public romance.

It's back fired, of course and i think however innocent it started out, David Walliams' gay/camp jibes have sowed the seeds in some peoples minds, who perhaps had not seriously considered Simon to be gay before. Another difficult one, as telling David to stop would make him look childish and defensive, plus it's bringing in ratings and is not malicious anyway.

I'm actually starting to think that Simon could come out in the UK and get away with it - or perhaps he would have to say he was Bi to save a few peoples blushes. We love a great "fall from grace" story (please don't take that as homophobic) but if he confessed to feeling too scared to come out before and that the covers spiralled out of control etc, i think he could survive it. Either that or be really brash and handle it with humour like George Michael did. I can't see it playing out well in America and the risk of implicating Ryan, as i mentioned earlier, wouldn't be worth it anyway.

I really but really don't understand this gay talk. Simon is just a very special man. He's no ordinary everyday man, I mean this is the guy who wants to be frozen down when he dies :D

He is controversial, has a massive ego, loves life and tries to live out the ultimate fantasy. I'm positive that his fav house is the playboy mansion. And who wouldn't want to live in that world?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianner wrote: »
    I really but really don't understand this gay talk. Simon is just a very special man. He's no ordinary everyday man, I mean this is the guy who wants to be frozen down when he dies :D

He is controversial, has a massive ego, loves life and tries to live out the ultimate fantasy. I'm positive that his fav house is the playboy mansion. And who wouldn't want to live in that world?

When he can take Ryan along, with the cover of hundreds of near naked women, yeah :D No seriously, it's good to hear another view and who am i know to know if he's gay or not?

I'm interested though, how do you explain the Louis Theroux doc where Max admits to setting up fake girlfriends? Simon's a decent enough looking guy - excluding the appalling styling - and is charming and rich. Why would he need to hire girls for photo ops/kiss & tells?

Why would a romance with Dannii be kept hidden when they were both single and it would actually be great for ratings? Much the same reasoning as to why i couldn't buy into Saula. Would be a whole lot better for his image than these other stories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he can take Ryan along, with the cover of hundreds of near naked women, yeah :D No seriously, it's good to hear another view and who am i know to know if he's gay or not?

I'm interested though, how do you explain the Louis Theroux doc where Max admits to setting up fake girlfriends? Simon's a decent enough looking guy - excluding the appalling styling - and is charming and rich. Why would he need to hire girls for photo ops/kiss & tells?

Why would a romance with Dannii be kept hidden when they were both single and it would actually be great for ratings? Much the same reasoning as to why i couldn't buy into Saula. Would be a whole lot better for his image than these other stories.

I haven't seen that doc so no I couldn't. But there's nothing that would suggest he is gay to me. His love stories might be silly to some and of course he likes publicity, but that doesn't make someone gay.

Same with Ryan, I've never gotten gay vibes between them.

As a massive fan of Dannii I know from following her that a lot of things are controlled by contracts which she has had very little control of. Why they kept it a secret could be for many reasons. Maybe because it meant something to both of them. Who knows but I'm fairly certain that time will tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen that doc so no I couldn't. But there's nothing that would suggest he is gay to me. His love stories might be silly to some and of course he likes publicity, but that doesn't make someone gay.

Same with Ryan, I've never gotten gay vibes between them.

As a massive fan of Dannii I know from following her that a lot of things are controlled by contracts which she has had very little control of. Why they kept it a secret could be for many reasons. Maybe because it meant something to both of them. Who knows but I'm fairly certain that time will tell.

I haven't followed Danni's career, so you will know more than me about her motives. The doc is very interesting, not just about Simon, but the media and PR in general. Worth a watch when you have time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't followed Danni's career, so you will know more than me about her motives. The doc is very interesting, not just about Simon, but the media and PR in general. Worth a watch when you have time.

All I can say is what I've learnt about her is that Dannii is 2 people in one. There is the showbiz woman Dannii and the private Danielle. She keeps those two very separated from each other.

Thanks for the tip. I might watch that later on. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    I don't put too much truth in this new book. If the writer got most of his information from Simon then what we have is Simon's distorted, embellished version of what may or may not be the truth.

Simon always comes across to me as a man who loves women, but neither likes or respects them. Rather like pieces on a chess board...to use as he pleases, move around and then discard when he gets bored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is what I've learnt about her is that Dannii is 2 people in one. There is the showbiz woman Dannii and the private Danielle. She keeps those two very separated from each other.

Thanks for the tip. I might watch that later on. :)

That sounds a lot like Simon :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DE53 wrote: »
    That sounds a lot like Simon :)

Yeah, I guess it does :)
    Are you suggesting he uses another name in private? :eek:;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I guess it does :)
    Are you suggesting he uses another name in private? :eek:;)

What like Simone :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DE53 wrote: »
    What like Simone :eek:

I was thinking more like Bond :p
    He likes movies too much to have a plain name in private.
    I'm dying to find out his secret nickname!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking more like Bond :p
    He likes movies too much to have a plain name in private.
    I'm dying to find out his secret nickname!

"007 licence to thrill" if all we read in the papers is true ;)
  • FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    :D Mrs O clearly doesn't have a clue ....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=simon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2131773/Simon-Cowell-role-unauthorised-book-laid-bare-bedroom-secrets.html

What's going on with him not shaving - again?! I actually like it a bit better this time, but it still looks too ungroomed for him. Perhaps if he was wearing a suit, the overall look would be better.

Last night i read that he hadn't left his house all week. Perhaps Jackie insisted they go out to put a "brave face" on things.

One thing i do believe from all these stories, is that ITV are not happy with him and vice versa. That relationship has felt strained for a while now. Simon has got contacts at Five and Sky. It would be a surprise move, but if ITV are not giving him the support, it wouldn't surprise me if he calls time on UKXF (rather than see it fizzle out) and perhaps switch BGT to another channel. This is all if XFUSA has a better season, of course, otherwise he is more tied to the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice, balanced commentry, for once this week from the press.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/yes-simon-cowell-can-be-harsh-799173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2131773/Simon-Cowell-role-unauthorised-book-laid-bare-bedroom-secrets.html

What's going on with him not shaving - again?! I actually like it a bit better this time, but it still looks too ungroomed for him. Perhaps if he was wearing a suit, the overall look would be better.

Last night i read that he hadn't left his house all week. Perhaps Jackie insisted they go out to put a "brave face" on things.

One thing i do believe from all these stories, is that ITV are not happy with him and vice versa. That relationship has felt strained for a while now. Simon has got contacts at Five and Sky. It would be a surprise move, but if ITV are not giving him the support, it wouldn't surprise me if he calls time on UKXF (rather than see it fizzle out) and perhaps switch BGT to another channel. This is all if XFUSA has a better season, of course, otherwise he is more tied to the UK.

I don't he looks rough :eek:
  • vanillalimevanillalime Posts: 93
    Forum Member

If I remember correctly, Tony deleted that tweet shortly after posting it. It only became knowledge here because a contributor to this thread managed to grab a screencap of the tweet before it was deleted and posted about it.

And speaking of Tony....

There was an story in yesterday's Sun that declared Simon to be not only straight, but "totally straight" (making him a negative one on the Kinsey scale I guess?). This article also mentioned that brother Nick was indeed married to a "Kim" at one point, and that Kate is his second wife. (My brain is still having a hard time imagining someone letting the hotness that is Nick Cowell slip through her fingers!) So, Tony, (since I know you are reading this), I apologize, obviously I was wrong about Kim being your wife. I'm not too proud to admit it when I am wrong about something. :o

That being said, the marriage history of Tony and Nick is the ONLY thing I will admit to being wrong about this week, despite the flurry of recent "information" that has come out about Simon. ;) :rolleyes:

I thought this was so interesting of you to say, because it is like a mirror reflection of what people on this side of the pond have said about the situation over the years. So many wonder why Ryan wouldn't come out, when his primary jobs are that of a TV host and radio DJ (rather than a romantic-lead actor, for example), and when his biggest career goals lay behind the camera in production and media-empire building. It's commonly suggested that it is either because of pressure from external influences (e.g., FOX and/or agents/management), or because of the concern that his friendship with Simon would come under much greater scrutiny if Ryan was known to be gay, rather than just suspected. Being out may or may not damage Ryan's career, but I don't think there is any way Simon "Mr. Honesty" could come out in the US at this point of his career without it having a significant negative impact, unfortunately. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, Tony deleted that tweet shortly after posting it. It only became knowledge here because a contributor to this thread managed to grab a screencap of the tweet before it was deleted and posted about it.

And speaking of Tony....

There was an story in yesterday's Sun that declared Simon to be not only straight, but "totally straight" (making him a negative one on the Kinsey scale I guess?). This article also mentioned that brother Nick was indeed married to a "Kim" at one point, and that Kate is his second wife. (My brain is still having a hard time imagining someone letting the hotness that is Nick Cowell slip through her fingers!) So, Tony, (since I know you are reading this), I apologize, obviously I was wrong about Kim being your wife. I'm not too proud to admit it when I am wrong about something. :o

That being said, the marriage history of Tony and Nick is the ONLY thing I will admit to being wrong about this week, despite the flurry of recent "information" that has come out about Simon. ;) :rolleyes:

I thought this was so interesting of you to say, because it is like a mirror reflection of what people on this side of the pond have said about the situation over the years. So many wonder why Ryan wouldn't come out, when his primary jobs are that of a TV host and radio DJ (rather than a romantic-lead actor, for example), and when his biggest career goals lay behind the camera in production and media-empire building. It's commonly suggested that it is either because of pressure from external influences (e.g., FOX and/or agents/management), or because of the concern that his friendship with Simon would come under much greater scrutiny if Ryan was known to be gay, rather than just suspected. Being out may or may not damage Ryan's career, but I don't think there is any way Simon "Mr. Honesty" could come out in the US at this point of his career without it having a significant negative impact, unfortunately. :(

some interesting points. Yes that tweet was only posted here because Allie mananged to screen cap it before Tony realised what he had done and swiftly deleted it ;)

I don't really know what has been said over your side of the pond about Ryan but i seem to remember joan rivers practically outing him not that long ago. From information i have received about Fox previously there is no doubt in my mind they are behind it. I would guess the way things are heading Mr Seacrest will be getting engaged soon ;) Fox probably haven't told him yet tho :p Mind you at least it looks as though him and his *cough* girlfriend do at least enjoy each others company which always helps :rolleyes: ( or he's a better actor than Simon) :D
  • vanillalimevanillalime Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Even though I've been lurking around DS for years, I'm still surprised that people in the UK don't realize how shocked most people in the US would be if they were to find out that Simon is gay. (Not surprised, SHOCKED.) There are very few rumors here, and what is seen as Simon being "camp" in the UK is just him "being British" in the US. (Sorry! :o)

I'm always so surprised anytime I see someone ask "Why wouldn't Simon just come out if he's gay?" (Simon even said it himself!), because the answer is so obvious. He'll never come out as long as he wants a career in the US. Progress IS being made here, but it's slow going, and Simon knows the risks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though I've been lurking around DS for years, I'm still surprised that people in the UK don't realize how shocked most people in the US would be if they were to find out that Simon is gay. (Not surprised, SHOCKED.) There are very few rumors here, and what is seen as Simon being "camp" in the UK is just him "being British" in the US. (Sorry! :o)

I'm always so surprised anytime I see someone ask "Why wouldn't Simon just come out if he's gay?" (Simon even said it himself!), because the answer is so obvious. He'll never come out as long as he wants a career in the US. Progress IS being made here, but it's slow going, and Simon knows the risks.

Thanks for clearing that up Vanilla :) Oh dear :( I didn't realise it was that bad :eek: I know whe still have homophobia over here but , to most of us it's no big deal.
  • FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Any ideas when the last pic on this link (the one with him on the boat with 2 women) was taken ?? It looks to be relatively recent BUT he"s not sporting the usual "square" hair do ! he actually really suits it a bit shorter / flattened down. I just can't remember a time when we"ve seen this haircut before. Maybe he cuts it short when he goes off for a few weeks and grows it out while on holiday so by the time he is back at work (be it in the "office" or for pap shots).

Anyone purchased "the book" yet ?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/x_factor/4270348/Intimate-and-unseen-moments-from-Simon-Cowells-life-revealed.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FlickJ wrote: »
    Any ideas when the last pic on this link (the one with him on the boat with 2 women) was taken ?? It looks to be relatively recent BUT he"s not sporting the usual "square" hair do ! he actually really suits it a bit shorter / flattened down. I just can't remember a time when we"ve seen this haircut before. Maybe he cuts it short when he goes off for a few weeks and grows it out while on holiday so by the time he is back at work (be it in the "office" or for pap shots).

Anyone purchased "the book" yet ?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/x_factor/4270348/Intimate-and-unseen-moments-from-Simon-Cowells-life-revealed.html
    “I had a quiet, nice childhood. We had no McDonald’s, no colour television... and luckily no Paula Abdul.”

So funny. :p
    Amazing how the press thinks its the end of the world for him just because he goes out unshaved. What's the big deal here? Simon has always been controversial and special, Tom Bower is known for explosive books.

He has always been very direct in his way of saying things, so I really don't understand whats so shocking. :confused:

I haven't reveived my book yet, but I'm curious to read it.