Options

Vera

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really like Brenda Blethyn but I wish Vera would smarten up just a bit.;-)

Comments

• Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Hehe. I didn't think much of the first couple of series but I really started to enjoy it last year. I was trying to read Harbour St last week but I only got halfway through for various reasons.
    David Leon is very easy on the eye!
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know where this episode is filmed? It looks gorgeous
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    Does anyone know where this episode is filmed? It looks gorgeous

It's Alnmouth apparently, about 50 mins north of Newcastle.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why Vera pronounces her surname as Stan Hope when it should be pronounced like Stannup - as in the place in County Durham called Stanhope.
  • Options
    jjrussjjruss Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    It's Alnmouth apparently, about 50 mins north of Newcastle.
    Mostly in Northumberland and Durham & yes it is gorgeous, one of our best kept secrets .;-)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Also near to Alnwick Castle which was the castle and surrounding areas used in The Black Adder IIRC.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    I don't know why Vera pronounces her surname as Stan Hope when it should be pronounced like Stannup - as in the place in County Durham called Stanhope.

Very true., the correct pronunciation would be Stannup.......the hubby is watching it, I want to like it but her voice puts me off. Wierd I know, but I can't help it! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    Very true., the correct pronunciation would be Stannup.......the hubby is watching it, I want to like it but her voice puts me off. Wierd I know, but I can't help it! :p

Ha ha! Whatsisname - the man on the island - just said to Vera "Stannup?". And she went "Uh huh". :D

I like Brenda Blethyn, but her accent is awful.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that rain cgi it looks very unconvincing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that rain cgi it looks very unconvincing

Yep. It's definitely not North East rain lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was some of this filmed in the Franciscan Friary at Alnmouth, does anybody know?
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    Hehe. I didn't think much of the first couple of series but I really started to enjoy it last year. I was trying to read Harbour St last week but I only got halfway through for various reasons.
    David Leon is very easy on the eye!

Is David Leon her assistant ? , he is drop dead . You don't see enough of him , in more ways than one :p
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched quite a few episodes of the show, I really like it. Her accent doesn't bother me as I'm not from the UK so I have no expectations of what a 'Geordie' accent should sound like. I think she's odd and delightfully quirky.:)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have done that in one hour. Two hours on a Sunday night and I'm nodding off after an hour.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vera Duckworth :confused:

Yet another tv senior detective acting like a junior detective instead of sitting behind a desk and supervising. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Vera Duckworth :confused:

Yet another tv senior detective acting like a junior detective instead of sitting behind a desk and supervising. :(

Nooo. Vera Stannup! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They could have done that in one hour. Two hours on a Sunday night and I'm nodding off after an hour.

It is rather slooooww, isn't it? *sleep*
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. I like Vera and it suits me on a Sunday night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched quite a few episodes of the show, I really like it. Her accent doesn't bother me as I'm not from the UK so I have no expectations of what a 'Geordie' accent should sound like. I think she's odd and delightfully quirky.:)

Ye divvent knar wot ya missin', pet. :p
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    The places I recognised in tonight's episode were Newbiggin by the Sea, Alnmouth and Blyth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    The only railway station in the UK without CCTV, anywhere. Perhaps no one thought to look. They could have solved it in 10 seconds. They would have traced the victim's movements throughout the whole town and the killer's.
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    The places I recognised in tonight's episode were Newbiggin by the Sea, Alnmouth and Blyth.

Thanks for that. Sad, I know, but I spent some time on google maps, trying to spot a likely bit of coastline!

I thought Alnmouth could be likely, but missed the other two!

I like Brenda Blethin, but as another poster said, her accent is awful. Very inconsistent.
    Even a 'generic north' might have been better perhaps?

Wasn't terribly struck by the story (hence my googling) but enjoyable in its own way.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Holypool and this are both Newbiggin https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/10155421_796421433722888_7278527477683813701_n.jpg also where Vera dropped off the blonde girl.
    Where you saw the wind turbine is Blyth, and I believe the cafe is there too.
    The rest is around Alnmouth.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did wonder where it was. Thanks for the info.

One thing I have never worked out is how to pronounce Alnmouth! As Almwick is pronounced "Annick", is Alnmouth pronounced "Annmuth!?
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's too old. The oldest retirement age for Police is 65.