Options

Baby's stopped kicking

Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all, I'd be grateful for any advice on this issue...

My wife is 6 months pregnant. We've had two scans so far and everything has progressed smoothly. Within the last couple of months or so, the baby has been kicking and moving around quite a lot. He/she is most active in the evenings when my wife is sitting down watching TV, or when she's laying down in bed. On wednesday evening (three and a half days ago) we were laying in bed and I was feeling him/her have a good kicking session.:D

However, since then, my wife says the baby has gone very quiet. She still feels the odd tiny movement every so often, but nowhere near the amount she's used to feeling and certainly no big kicks. She's getting a little concerned about it.

Her friend is pregnant at the moment as well (due end of this month) and she spoke to her this morning. She suggested that the baby could be laying with its limbs towards her back, so she wouldn't feel it as much. I wondered if the baby starts to move a bit less as it gets bigger as it doesn't have as much space to stretch out? :confused:

My wife is going to call the midwife this afternoon (doesn't want to call her yet because her parents are here and she doesn't want to mention it in front of them), but I just wondered if anyone could offer any of their thoughts as to whether this is anything to be concerned about. This is our first child so we don't have much experience of this type of thing. My wife isn't the type to be neurotic or a hypochondriac, but she is a bit concerned due to the fact that the movement has got so much less in such a short space of time.

Any advice/thoughts most welcome and thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My wife is 6 months pregnant. We've had two scans so far and everything has progressed smoothly. Within the last couple of months or so, the baby has been kicking and moving around quite a lot. He/she is most active in the evenings when my wife is sitting down watching TV, or when she's laying down in bed. On wednesday evening (three and a half days ago) we were laying in bed and I was feeling him/her have a good kicking session.:D

However, since then, my wife says the baby has gone very quiet. She still feels the odd tiny movement every so often, but nowhere near the amount she's used to feeling and certainly no big kicks. She's getting a little concerned about it.

Her friend is pregnant at the moment as well (due end of this month) and she spoke to her this morning. She suggested that the baby could be laying with its limbs towards her back, so she wouldn't feel it as much. I wondered if the baby starts to move a bit less as it gets bigger as it doesn't have as much space to stretch out? :confused:

My wife is going to call the midwife this afternoon (doesn't want to call her yet because her parents are here and she doesn't want to mention it in front of them), but I just wondered if anyone could offer any of their thoughts as to whether this is anything to be concerned about. This is our first child so we don't have much experience of this type of thing. My wife isn't the type to be neurotic or a hypochondriac, but she is a bit concerned due to the fact that the movement has got so much less in such a short space of time.

Get it checked out, but my friend had that problem with her baby. Midwife just said the baby had moved and was still active but she just couldn't feel it.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One trick I was taught when pregnant was to have a glass of cold water to check for movement. It ended up being something that saved mine and my son's life.

If you are ever concerned, get it checked out as quick as possible, I think mothers just know when things aren't right. As your wife isn't panicking, it is probably just a change in position and I gather as they get big their movements are restricted, though I didn't get that far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it's just that baby has moved / is sleepy - I am 5 months but have been feeling movement from 16 weeks and end up worrying myself ill sometimes when it's just that baby is having a sluggish day. Having said that, a freezing cold glass of orange juice if you have any and some chocolate is the advice I've normally seen to try and wake baby up. I would suggest doing this until you have seen the midwife. But definitely go and see the midwife ASAP just to reassure yourself. I'm sure everything is fine, please let us know when you have been!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get it checked out ASAP just to be on the safe side. I'm nearly 7 and a half months gone and my baby often has quiet days, so it could easily be the same in your case. If I went longer than a day without feeling much movement though, I'd get it checked out.

The cold water is a good idea, as is having something sugary and lying down.

My movements peaked at about 28/29 weeks btw - I don't feel many kicks anymore, but there's still lots of wriggles and rolls and hiccups.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I always found if I had a busy day,the movements where less noticeable. Try asking your wife to have a warm bath. This always made my babies move a lot. But def get it checked out asap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    There is no point taking any risks. Go and get it checked out straight away. I'm sure it will be fine. Take care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call maternity triage and speak to a midiwfe. In the mean time eat some chocolate and drink something cold, that always got my little one fluttering!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was me I'd be straight on the phone to the hospital. When I was 7 months pregnant with my first I noticed he had stopped moving around. I was asked to come in straight away to the antenatal ward and was hooked up to a monitor which recorded the number of movements in an hour. All was fine, but its best to get checked out asap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most likely its just the way the baby is lying, especially if she is feeling some movement. If she was feeling none at all I would be straight to hospital to check it out.

However, I echo the sentiments of others - get it checked out straight away in order to be sure.
  • Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose the OP is all that worried or he'd be speaking to a medial professional rather than logging onto DS and asking random people
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm i think the health of the baby should be more important:confused:

Hope all is well, could be the way baby is lying, and limited room in there as it's getting bigger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I agree op, you should call the midwife, your wife will probably be taken in to hospital to be hooked up to the monitoring machines, I was twice in my first pregnancy, my son was fine but it was worrying all the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any update OP?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not going to post anything more than to say PLEASE PLEASE get hold of a midwife ASAP and get your wife checked out.

Like other posters have said, it could be any number of innocent reasons why the baby is less active, but it is very important to get it checked out.

Really hope all is well OP.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, thanks for all the comments and advice.

Soon after I posted my OP, my wife phoned our hospital and spoke to a midwife. She explained the situation and the midwife said it wasn't normal for it to happen and she should come down straight away to the labour ward.

So we went down and the midwife had a good feel and said that the baby was sat in the breach position with its back towards us, hence the fact that any limb movements couldn't be felt. As some people on here suggested would happen, she then hooked up the monitor machine to find the heartbeat. It took her ages to find one, but she found it and all was fine. She monitored it for what seemed like ages and did a print out. During the monitoring, the baby suddenly started to move around loads, which was even more reassurance for my wife.

So anyway, all is well in our world now and my wife is much happier. Thanks so much again everyone for the advice and good wishes, it's much appreciated. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Soon after I posted my OP, my wife phoned our hospital and spoke to a midwife. She explained the situation and the midwife said it wasn't normal for it to happen and she should come down straight away to the labour ward.

So we went down and the midwife had a good feel and said that the baby was sat in the breach position with its back towards us, hence the fact that any limb movements couldn't be felt. As some people on here suggested would happen, she then hooked up the monitor machine to find the heartbeat. It took her ages to find one, but she found it and all was fine. She monitored it for what seemed like ages and did a print out. During the monitoring, the baby suddenly started to move around loads, which was even more reassurance for my wife.

So anyway, all is well in our world now and my wife is much happier. Thanks so much again everyone for the advice and good wishes, it's much appreciated. :)

Excellent news. I have a recent new arrival myself - remind your wife (and yourself) to get plenty of rest while you can :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just to also say - if it happens again, get it checked again. I went in 4 times with my daughter to get her checked as her movements decreased quite noticeably - I think they thought I was neurotic:D but it was for my own peace of mind. Was much more relaxed with my son though!!
    Just as a matter of interest - I was given a 'kick chart' (this was 21 years ago, mind you!!) and had to register 10 movements in a day - do these still exist???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    My son did this also, went to the hospital and the moment they hooked me up he started moving like mad! Best to be safe than sorry!
    Glad everything is ok with your baby.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to hear that mum and baby are both OK. That must have been very worrying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I am pleased that everything is o.k.
    My sister's baby stopped moving last weekend and they went to get it checked out. Unfortunately they couldn't find a heart beat and they told her the baby had died. This was the day before his due date. :( As you can imagine we are all devastated. She had to be induced and deliver him this week. It is just awful as I'm sure you can imagine.
    I am pleased that your baby is well. I just wanted to share what happened this week to stress that you just can't be too careful and must always get anything unusual checked out as soon as possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I also have my own tragic story regarding this which I wont post, but cannot stress enough, any time you are worried get it checked. Dont worry about being labelled a pain in the neck GET IT CHECKED without a doubt. Better to be a bloody nuisance and have a healthy baby than worry about whether you are wasting peoples time. Happy to hear everythings ok and good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pippet272 wrote: »
    I also have my own tragic story regarding this which I wont post, but cannot stress enough, any time you are worried get it checked. Dont worry about being labelled a pain in the neck GET IT CHECKED without a doubt. Better to be a bloody nuisance and have a healthy baby than worry about whether you are wasting peoples time. Happy to hear everythings ok and good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.

I echo this. If you feel things aren't right, then make a fuss and make sure it's checked out. Never worry about being a pain. I had a very grotty midwife in the labour ward 3am in the morning at 7 months who made me feel I was wasting her time .......... until she saw the graphs and urine test and within minutes the room was packed getting me ready for surgery.
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dufflebuff wrote: »
    My sister's baby stopped moving last weekend and they went to get it checked out. Unfortunately they couldn't find a heart beat and they told her the baby had died. This was the day before his due date. :( As you can imagine we are all devastated. She had to be induced and deliver him this week. It is just awful as I'm sure you can imagine.
    I am pleased that your baby is well. I just wanted to share what happened this week to stress that you just can't be too careful and must always get anything unusual checked out as soon as possible.

Very pleased the OP's wife is OK, Duffle that's terrible, big hugs to you and your Sister x
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    dufflebuff wrote: »

That's really sad to hear. I had a FOAF who had the same problem last year. She's only just coming around from it. Hope you're all bearing up OK.
  • Options
    The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    Get it checked out, but my friend had that problem with her baby. Midwife just said the baby had moved and was still active but she just couldn't feel it.

I remember getting to the hospital in a terrible panic thinking the worst because baby went quiet then I heard that gorgeous delicious wonderful heartbeat and all was well with the world.

He's now taller than me. :D

Clearly get it checked out but try not to worry too much.