Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Maybe not, b/c MC has basically said that they are going to marry, and as I heard it, it was to be early in the series.

It's very interesting that the entire first portion of the article reports that the church will be used for the wedding of DM and LG and even gets into specific details such as, ""Doc Martin's taxi arrives through Altarnun, which makes for a great exterior shot, and it looks very Cornish." So both Johnny Bamford (say "hi" to Holly) and the St. Nonna's churchwarden talk about it as is it's a done deal. Then, toward the end, the chickie who is a spokesperson for Buffalo Pictures, chimes in to say, "I can't confirm that we are using that particular church – and we wouldn't reveal storylines – but we are looking at a number of locations for lots of different scenes in the new series." Seems to me the reporter called (probably some PR firm BP hired) to confirm the info obtained on the spot and the PR person tried to put the cow back in the barn, but too late. I find this fascinating and hilarious.

Anyhoo, such great news that we've got something specific now. I did google the church, per your recommendation, marchrand. It's beautiful. And since Bamford talked about Doc's taxi driving through the village to the church, I also clicked on the link for the village itself, Altarnun, and found this nice view of the church as viewed from a village street. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Altarnun.jpg

Thank you, kernow, for the latest update! Wonderful info!
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back through Part 4 of Spoilers, where they were discussing the episodes we're on now (and boy, were they chatty!) I noticed that many there also felt that by the end of E6, Midwife Crisis, that DM really did not want to go to London, but was in too deep to figure a way out.

A couple people pointed out that they thought, when he went to Aunt Joan's to tell her about London, that he was really fishing for her to try to dissuade him (whether he knew it or not).
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Thank you, kernow, for the latest update! Wonderful info!

It's certainly a very picturesque setting, as you can see for yourself if you take a look on Google Earth. I believe Altarnun won the "Best Kept Village" in Cornwall award so many times a few years back, that it was eventually barred from the competition to give others a chance of winning.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    If you Google St. Nonna's Church, Altarun, under Wikipedia, there are pictures of both the exterior and interior of this most beautiful over 500 year old church, along with information about it.

Yippee! This saves me some tIme this fall :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    It's certainly a very picturesque setting, as you can see for yourself if you take a look on Google Earth. I believe Altarnun won the "Best Kept Village" in Cornwall award so many times a few years back, that it was eventually barred from the competition to give others a chance of winning.

I took a streetview "drive" through and imagined watching the doc taking a taxi through there - very nice. But - a taxi and not the Lexus?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I took a streetview "drive" through and imagined watching the doc taking a taxi through there - very nice. But - a taxi and not the Lexus?

Shop Girl, I noticed that too and wondered. They have to go to the church separately (at least according to tradition). Maybe Louisa is being driven to the church in the Lexus by, uh, someone, Roger, Al, Ruth, somebody. That's a pretty dull explanation though. I'm sure I'll run some other scenarios through my fevered brain tonight when I'm at home and have time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl, I noticed that too and wondered. They have to go to the church separately (at least according to tradition). Maybe Louisa is being driven to the church in the Lexus by, uh, someone, Roger, Al, Ruth, somebody. That's a pretty dull explanation though. I'm sure I'll run some other scenarios through my fevered brain tonight when I'm at home and have time.

He ran his LEXus off the road into a bog? the Lexus wouldn't start? He's had his license suspended for 6 offenses? His leg is broken and he can't drive? He imbibed too much at his bachelor party and can't remember where he left the Lexus? a myriad of possibilities..... I do hope they're not planning to tease us the way they did in the last wedding ep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He ran his LEXus off the road into a bog? the Lexus wouldn't start? He's had his license suspended for 6 offenses? His leg is broken and he can't drive? He imbibed too much at his bachelor party and can't remember where he left the Lexus? a myriad of possibilities..... I do hope they're not planning to tease us the way they did in the last wedding ep.

It will be fun to see what they come up with in the show as a reason why he can't drive the Lexus! :rolleyes::D
    And, he'll probably be late which will make Louisa worry whether he's going to show up! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    It will be fun to see what they come up with in the show as a reason why he can't drive the Lexus! :rolleyes::D

Oh, yeah, oh, duh. :o The question should be: what kind of plot device did the writers concoct to have the Doc taking a taxi since Martin Clunes can't drive right now?

NewPark, good list. Toss in anything that might cause his airbag to go off.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They better get married. I cannot stand another series of #willtheywontthey. #justsaying
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And, he'll probably be late which will make Louisa worry whether he's going to show up! :eek:

Another scenario: My daughter and son-in-law: As daughter and son-in-law were living together anyway (as per DM and LG), he was so nervous that my daughter drove him (in her wedding gown and veil to the church)!! I would give a few months of my pension check to have a video of that scene. We were all from out of state staying at a hotel so nowhere in sight of this scene .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back through Part 4 of Spoilers, where they were discussing the episodes we're on now (and boy, were they chatty!) I noticed that many there also felt that by the end of E6, Midwife Crisis, that DM really did not want to go to London, but was in too deep to figure a way out.

A couple people pointed out that they thought, when he went to Aunt Joan's to tell her about London, that he was really fishing for her to try to dissuade him (whether he knew it or not).

I was just reading some other of the DoctorRabies posts and found the one you mentioned from the midwife episode. Very interesting - I would read a sentence and then watch a few seconds, go back and read another sentence, watch a few more seconds, etc. It's on page 59 of part 4. Here is the link:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=36342340&highlight=#post36342340
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Oh, yeah, oh, duh. :o The question should be: what kind of plot device did the writers concoct to have the Doc taking a taxi since Martin Clunes can't drive right now?

NewPark, good list. Toss in anything that might cause his airbag to go off.

The Penguins were unsucessful in stealing the Doc's sanity so they opted to steal his car keys instead.

BTW-MC's driving ban expires in May, so there would be no real reason to have to use a taxi unless it is for the same reason many couples use for hiring a limo for their wedding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just reading some other of the DoctorRabies posts and found the one you mentioned from the midwife episode. Very interesting - I would read a sentence and then watch a few seconds, go back and read another sentence, watch a few more seconds, etc. It's on page 59 of part 4. Here is the link:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=36342340&highlight=#post36342340

Oh, thank you so much Shop Girl. I looked for this one for over an hour this morning and all I could come up with was the one on the hotel scene in the next episode. But this is the one I was looking for. I will follow your precedent and watch the scene again, following the posting's description of camera work.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if he uses "Tommy's Taxis". :) Not if Tommy says its snowing out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Penguins were unsucessful in stealing the Doc's sanity so they opted to steal his car keys instead.

BTW-MC's driving ban expires in May, so there would be no real reason to have to use a taxi unless it is for the same reason many couples use for hiring a limo for their wedding.

They may film the scene before May. I think they begin filming in a few weeks. Anyway, does anyone know if the driving ban counts when he is on "set" driving for a scene in the show?
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the driving ban counts when he is on "set" driving for a scene in the show?

I'd be pretty sure it would unless he is on a private road. I imagine they could get round it by putting the Lexus on the back of a low-loader to film close-ups as if he was driving along in it, then make judicious use of a double and clever editing for longer range shots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be pretty sure it would unless he is on a private road. I imagine they could get round it by putting the Lexus on the back of a low-loader to film close-ups as if he was driving along in it, then make judicious use of a double and clever editing for longer range shots.

Thanks Kernow! Yes, I guess that is what they'll have to do. Unless the magistrate took the Doc's driving privileges away, too and thus he must take taxis on his house calls! I don't envision the Doc racking up loads of speeding tickets, though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Kernow! Yes, I guess that is what they'll have to do. Unless the magistrate took the Doc's driving privileges away, too and thus he must take taxis on his house calls! I don't envision the Doc racking up loads of speeding tickets, though...

Maybe The Doc will make his house calls on horseback...

Could be that MC has ensured this is written into the scripts for Series Six...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Maybe The Doc will make his house calls on horseback...

Could be that MC has ensured this is written into the scripts for Series Six...

:D Hard to ride a horse in a suit, though. Would be fun to see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    There is a lovely profile pic of MC and Chester, here! Go to the bottom of the page, click on #6. There is another on #14, but I think we've seen that one before.
    http://www.mariasloughphotography.com/portfolio.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be funny if Penhale is the one who takes his driving privileges away from him! :eek:
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be funny if Penhale is the one who takes his driving privileges away from him! :eek:

That WOULD be funny. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    They may film the scene before May. I think they begin filming in a few weeks. Anyway, does anyone know if the driving ban counts when he is on "set" driving for a scene in the show?

They shoot film and TV shows out of sequence all the time for various reasons.

They already do that. See 3:05 into this clip.

BTW-In reference to a discussion a couple pages ago if you look at the white numbers/letters under the video on the clip I linked above the first set of numbers is the time code and it is 24fps. The "KZ" indicates that it was shot on Kodak Vision 200T film, the six digits (2 digits than 4 digits) that follow the KZ identify the roll of film, the 4 digits that follow that indicate which foot of film the video occurs on and the numbers following the "+" sign indicates the frame of video within that foot of film. The "VT" followed by three digits indicate the video tape library number that the film was dubbed to when it was converted from film to video tape for editing/broadcast purposes using a Telecine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I'm so excited!! This wait wasn't as bad as the last two year wait, or the two year wait before that. I guess time moves faster as you grow really old waiting for Doc Martin. Tried filling the time with Downton (fun but sad), Ballykissangel (really sad), House, (only watch for one season when House and Cuddy were together), and Bones (once she got together with Booth). But this is what I've been really waiting for. Let the spoilers begin!
This discussion has been closed.