Over the past 15 years,which actor/actress's body of work have you enjoyed watching?

rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
Forum Member
✭✭
I was wondering which actor or actress have you enjoyed watching on a consistent basis?

Is there an actor/actress that has emerged in recent years that you think has been brilliant?

Is there someone who was around prior to the turn of the millennium but has just either matured or remained excellent in recent times?

Is there an actor or actress that has mad a comeback and reestablished themselves?

For me I would have to say Philip Seymour Hoffman. I thought he was excellent in 'Capote', 'Magnolia', 'Almost Famous' and he stole the show in 'The Ides of March.'

Also, Gary Oldman was great in the 90's and I always thought he was talented. However, with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier,Spy I now acknowledge him as a great actor.

Comments

• goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never rated him and have never been particularly attracted to him but I now think Leonardo Di Caprio is a really good actor.

I'm adding Tom Cruise too - I never liked him until I saw him in War of the Worlds: just playing an ordinary working man caught up in extraordinary circumstances, completely believable - very good.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Cruise.

imo, he's the only A-list actor that still cares what films he makes and in most cases they appeal to me.
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Michelle Williams
    Philip Seymour Hoffman
    Amy Adams
    Cate Blanchett
    Russell Crowe
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anne Hathaway.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leo DiCaprio
    Jennifer Lawrence
    Ellen Page
    Chloe Grace Moretz
    Johnny Depp
    Pegg/Wright/Frost
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christian Bale
    Leonardo DiCaprio
    Michael Fassbender (last 6 years or so)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meryl Streep
    Apart from Sophie's choice and A cry in the dark, i have enjoyed her later roles from 2000 onwards much more than her early ones.

Michelle Williams
    Amy Adams
    Jessica Chastain (ignoring Zero dark thirty and Mama)
    Carey Mulligan
    Jennifer Lawerence (ignoring house at the end of the street)

Sally Hawkins (her mike leigh roles, made in dagenham and blue jasmine, as well as supporting roles in never let me go and Jane eyre were what me fall in love with this brilliant underrated british actress)

Nicole Kidman (had a blip of choosing terrible films which didn't allow her to do great performances between 2005-2009, but from Rabbit Hole onwards, she has soared continually)

Leo Dicaprio (ignoring J.Edgar)
    Charlize Theron (ignoring Aeon Flux)
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philip Seymour Hoffman is brilliant in every film

Leonardo Di Caprio really grew as an actor (I hated him in Titanic) and is now one of my favourite actors

Kevin Spacey is always great
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Renner.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Leo here. I liked him in Titanic but I think he has been very enjoyable in everything I've seen him in. Also love seeing Gary Oldman too, and surprisingly, I have watched a few of Tom Cruise's latest offerings and been surprised at liking them.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Robert De Niro - that's a joke - he really needs to get some decent roles again - only Silver Linings Playbook was any good recently.

I'd put in another vote for Leo. He was very good in Gangs of New York, The Aviator, Blood Diamond(on tonight in the UK on BBC btw), The Departed, Catch Me If You Can, J. Edgar Hoover, Shutter Island and Inception. All very strong roles - and I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street yet.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Kristen Stewart, Amy Adams and Anne Hathaway
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kristen Stewart, Amy Adams and Anne Hathaway

Interesting you mention Kristen Stewart, I've always thought that she's a decent actress and undeserving of the flak she gets sometimes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Leo. I think Oldman is good too.

I also think Alan Rickman and Lena Headey are very good too.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Interesting you mention Kristen Stewart, I've always thought that she's a decent actress and undeserving of the flak she gets sometimes.

Very undeserving. If people took the time to actually watch her indie films, they'd release she's talented. By far my favourite actress for the last decade.
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Forgot to add Andrea Riseborough.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Brad Pitt has matured into a very good actor since his work in the 90's. I thought he was good in 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' and 'Moneyball.'
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michael Ripper.

He's didn't get big parts but a Hammer film never felt complete without him.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely Leo Dicaprio and although she's pretty new on the scene I imagine Jennifer Lawrence is going to build up a fantastic body of work pretty soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denzel.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kristin Scott Thomas
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Leonardo Di Caprio and Cameron Diaz.Both will be seen as cinema legends in the future by film fanatics imo.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willz wrote: »
    Denzel.

I watched Training Day not so long ago and he was incredible in that.
  • ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to say Leo Dicaprio too. I remember seeing him in Romeo & Juliet and disliked him (mainly because he was a pretty boy that all the girls loved!) but since them I think he's brilliant.

I thought he was excellent in Gangs of New York and Catch Me If You Can.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actors
    Leo Dicaprio, Chgristian Bale
    Actresses
    Julianne Moore, Hilary Swank,