"Ghosting" on new plasma?

Hi,

I've just bought a new LG 50PC56 plasma from Dixons for the "boys" room.

I've only used it for 20 odd minutes but it has become apparent that some images 'stay' on the screen (albeit very faded) for a minute after they're supposed to have disappeared.

It's mostly where there has been white lettering on a black background - extremely noticable on the kids wii games for instance.

Is this normal for a plasma or have I got a faulty one?

Cheers for your help!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    sounds like you got image retention mate.

how bright have you got the settings they need to be quite low for the first 200 hours or so to let the screen bed in.

saying that if your setting are already low then it may be a fault. I never had this issue with my Panny but im guessing you should let it run for a little while before phoning them up and getting them to take a look

Dal
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I've just bought a new LG 50PC56 plasma from Dixons for the "boys" room.

I've only used it for 20 odd minutes but it has become apparent that some images 'stay' on the screen (albeit very faded) for a minute after they're supposed to have disappeared.

It's mostly where there has been white lettering on a black background - extremely noticable on the kids wii games for instance.

Is this normal for a plasma or have I got a faulty one?

Normal, and can be permanent - Plasma do suffer from screen burn - for the first few months you should treat it carefully, keep the brightness and contrast down, and don't have static images on screen for very long. Once it's "run in" screen burn is far less likely.

If you bought it for gaming on, LCD is a far better choice, as you don't get screen burn.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Normal, and can be permanent - Plasma do suffer from screen burn - for the first few months you should treat it carefully, keep the brightness and contrast down, and don't have static images on screen for very long. Once it's "run in" screen burn is far less likely.

If you bought it for gaming on, LCD is a far better choice, as you don't get screen burn.

I have to say that it's an amazing piece of technology that requires you to have a sub-optimal picture for a few months so you can have a decent picture afterwards (and even then, still with the risk of screen burn). Yet another reason why I'll be avoiding plasma whenever I decide to get rid of my CRT (which I hope won't be for a long time).
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    I have to say that it's an amazing piece of technology that requires you to have a sub-optimal picture for a few months so you can have a decent picture afterwards (and even then, still with the risk of screen burn). Yet another reason why I'll be avoiding plasma whenever I decide to get rid of my CRT (which I hope won't be for a long time).

To be fair they aren't as bad as they used to be, and you just need to exercise a little care - but the guarantee specifically mentions that screen burn isn't covered!.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well CRTs suffer from the same problem, as always it depends on the particular TV some are worse than others. (yes I know early plasmas were particularly bad).

I get the same amount of image retention on my Sony CRT as on my Panny plasma, it's not a problem with either of them but it is there. I've not had serious screen burn on either though I can see the 4:3 boundary on my CRT if I set it up to look for it and get really close etc - no problem in real use.

I never took any precautions with my plasma in the first few months and never had any problems. I did turn it off the horrible garish picture settings that it was delivered with though.
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    I did turn it off the horrible garish picture settings that it was delivered with though.

That will be dynamic mate :D

as you say it doesnt happen so much anymore and as you know the pannys are pretty much bullet proof these days. For me plasma is the way forward and cant see myself going LCD.

Hope your still happy with your choice.

Dal
    Forum Member
    Well CRTs suffer from the same problem, as always it depends on the particular TV some are worse than others. (yes I know early plasmas were particularly bad).

I get the same amount of image retention on my Sony CRT as on my Panny plasma, it's not a problem with either of them but it is there. I've not had serious screen burn on either though I can see the 4:3 boundary on my CRT if I set it up to look for it and get really close etc - no problem in real use.

I never took any precautions with my plasma in the first few months and never had any problems. I did turn it off the horrible garish picture settings that it was delivered with though.

I always thought that recent CRTs (over the last decade or so) haven't suffered from screen burn. My nine-year-old Panasonic CRT TV hasn't got a whiff of screen burn, despite having plenty of chances to suffer it. I suppose some plasmas are worse than others, it's just that I find it a bit comical that you spend hundreds, maybe thousands, on a plasma screen, but you have to reduce your viewing experience for a few months on the promise that you'll have a good picture afterwards (and even then, still have the chance of screen burn). Still to find a plasma or LCD that matches the picture quality of my CRT, though, so I won't be changing until I find one that surpasses it (yes, I'm taking account of the fact that it's a little unfair to compare a larger screened LCD/plasma to a smaller screened CRT).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    w3dal wrote: »
    That will be dynamic mate :D

Yep that was the one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought that recent CRTs (over the last decade or so) haven't suffered from screen burn. My nine-year-old Panasonic CRT TV hasn't got a whiff of screen burn, despite having plenty of chances to suffer it. I suppose some plasmas are worse than others, it's just that I find it a bit comical that you spend hundreds, maybe thousands, on a plasma screen, but you have to reduce your viewing experience for a few months on the promise that you'll have a good picture afterwards (and even then, still have the chance of screen burn). Still to find a plasma or LCD that matches the picture quality of my CRT, though, so I won't be changing until I find one that surpasses it (yes, I'm taking account of the fact that it's a little unfair to compare a larger screened LCD/plasma to a smaller screened CRT).

It doesn't suffer from it, in order to see it I have to alter the settings on the TV and get up close - it's not a problem at all, completely invisible in normal viewing.

I only mentioned it to put the point that CRTs also can get burn. I haven't got screen burn at all on my plasma yet though it is much newer than the CRT (still well worn in though), I don't expect major problems in the future based on what's happened so far.
    Forum Member
    I only mentioned it to put the point that CRTs also can get burn. I haven't got screen burn at all on my plasma yet though it is much newer than the CRT (still well worn in though), I don't expect major problems in the future based on what's happened so far.

If it's going to happen it will most likely happen in the first few months, after that the risk is a LOT lower.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh, run it on low brightness and low colours for a bit, let it settle in.

Then crank it up!

Unless you leave it on for hours it should not burn for ever but be carefull.

Don't take it back, it is a good TV for the money and Plasma is better than LCD!
    Forum Member
    Plasma is better than LCD!

careful the LCD police wont like that.

but your right :D

Dal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I have to say that it's an amazing piece of technology that requires you to have a sub-optimal picture for a few months ...
    It's not really noticeably sub-optimal. Like CRTs and some other 'lamp' type devices plasmas are probably somewhat bright when new and lose some of that brightness fairly quickly during the 'run-in' period. It's more a case of having a sensible setting to begin and then turning the brightness up a bit as time goes on to keep the picture 'right'.

That's pretty much what seemed to happen with ours anyway. And the sheer quality of the picture in all other respects left us so gobsmacked that sub-optimal wouldn't have mattered anyway for about 200 hours :)

Going on a year now I think, and it still amazes me ...
    Forum Member
    Catbed wrote: »
    It's not really noticeably sub-optimal. Like CRTs and some other 'lamp' type devices plasmas are probably somewhat bright when new and lose some of that brightness fairly quickly during the 'run-in' period. It's more a case of having a sensible setting to begin and then turning the brightness up a bit as time goes on to keep the picture 'right'.

That's pretty much what seemed to happen with ours anyway. And the sheer quality of the picture in all other respects left us so gobsmacked that sub-optimal wouldn't have mattered anyway for about 200 hours :)

Going on a year now I think, and it still amazes me ...

Interesting point and I'll take it on board with any consideration of plasmas whenever my current CRT goes kaput. I suppose it's akin to getting a brand new car and having to be easy on it for the first period of ownership. If it's still keeping you amazed, then I suppose that's the important thing.