In parks: Put your dog on a bloody lead!

Comments

• LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    rosemary wrote: »
    We've found that is if you come slightly out of the seaside resort there are parts of beaches that allow dogs, usually where there are no huts or ice cream outlets

Yes that is our type of beach. There is a small section at one end where dogs are prohibited from May-September but there are also miles and miles where they can roam at any time. I'm not saying where, there are enough bl&&dy dogs on it already without advertising it:D
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilhemina wrote: »
    Molliepops ~ the beaches near me on the south coast are open to dogs all year round (Shoreham-Lancing area just west of Brighton). Unfortunately the beaches are pebbly unless it's low tide when there's miles of sand for dogs to run around on. And they do tend to get a bit busy with swimmers & sunbathers on warm summer weekends, but evenings & early mornings at low tide are great times for dogs:) Plus we're near the mouth of the River Adur & there are lovely walks along the banks on both sides.

If ever you feel like a trip to the area, let me know & I can tell you about parking, walks, pubs etc:).

Thank you ! We used to go to Littlehampton so not too far away from there !
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most dog owners are selfish and think that everybody else loves thier dogs as much as they do.

We do not, keep your ****ing animals on a lead.

It annoys me an incredible amount so I understand the OP.

I think just reading from fellow dog owners on here, it isn't the fact that most dog owners are selfish, its more a case that some people are thoughtless, and of those thoughtless people, some happen to own dogs

Most of us keep our dogs on leads when around other people and dogs and go to great lengths to find suitable places when our dogs can have a run without bothering people, or indeed being bothered ourselves

Lippincote wrote: »
    Yes that is our type of beach. There is a small section at one end where dogs are prohibited from May-September but there are also miles and miles where they can roam at any time. I'm not saying where, there are enough bl&&dy dogs on it already without advertising it:D

:D

Taking a dog on a beach is one of the great pleasures of dog owning, as most dogs seem to love it so much, Danny goes crazy in the car when he can smell the sea air. and can't wait to get down on to the beach

We rarely go to the sea side in summer time, as I cant go in the sun, but love walking by the sea in the winter

Danny stays on his lead and we always pick up his poo

But even as dog lovers, we avoid taking him on beaches where dogs are running around off the lead, as they tend to come up to him, and he is really doesn't like it
  • AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thats fine, but perhaps if more dog owners took the time to understand that alot of people dont like dogs, they would think twice before letting thier animal off a lead in a public place.

The impression I get from most dog owners is that anybody who is afraid of thier dog is just being silly and that he/she is 'only playing' and 'wouldnt hurt a fly'.

ALL dogs should be on leads at ALL times in public.

Dog owners who let thier dogs poo in public and dont pick it up, should also be forced to eat it.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I think just reading from fellow dog owners on here, it isn't the fact that most dog owners are selfish, its more a case that some people are thoughtless, and of those thoughtless people, some happen to own dogs

I think you are absolutely right about that rosemary, and unfortunately their dog's behaviour makes them very visible. Some of them seem to be insane enough to think that people will genuinely be thrilled at having a random muddy dog jump all over them, you'd think the death stares they get would give them the message:D And I am someone who likes dogs, so my feelings about it are fairly mild compared with others!
    Taking a dog on a beach is one of the great pleasures of dog owning, as most dogs seem to love it so much

My friend's black lab absolutely loves the beach, gets absolutely filthy and tires herself out. Unfortunately although very friendly she is a food thief so can be a real embarrassment:o
  • IateallthepiesIateallthepies Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Never ever show fear to a dog. My dogs are perfectly friendly and have never bitten anyone but as one approached a lady last week for a pat, she (the lady) started freaking out "Oh my God, oh my God!" That actually MADE my dog start barking at her. Then the other one, wondering what the excitement was about, ran up and joined in! Yes, I know I should've had them under control but this lady overreacted in a big way.

Another time a man in the park saw my dogs approaching on the pathway and started running away in the opposite direction. "What fun!" thought the dogs, and bounded after him. What a numpty.
    Forum Member
    Taking a dog on a beach is one of the great pleasures of dog owning, as most dogs seem to love it so much, Danny goes crazy in the car when he can smell the sea air. and can't wait to get down on to the beach

One of my dogs is called Danny :)

His original name was Pinball :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont go to the park then. Problem solved. Dont blame the poor dog just cos you're scared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never ever show fear to a dog. My dogs are perfectly friendly and have never bitten anyone but as one approached a lady last week for a pat, she (the lady) started freaking out "Oh my God, oh my God!" That actually MADE my dog start barking at her. Then the other one, wondering what the excitement was about, ran up and joined in! Yes, I know I should've had them under control but this lady overreacted in a big way.

Another time a man in the park saw my dogs approaching on the pathway and started running away in the opposite direction. "What fun!" thought the dogs, and bounded after him. What a numpty.

No, with respect YOU are the one in the wrong here. That lady did not know your dog was friendly, and she has the right to walk freely without your dog running up to her. I feel sorry for the lady - presumably she didn't like dogs but has to put up with yours running towards her.

Please, put your dogs on a lead. They're YOUR dogs, I don't want them coming up to me.
  • AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What utter nonsense.

They are YOUR dogs, other people do not know what they are like or what type of personality they have. YOU are in the wrong here for having them off the lead.

The people do not know that your dog just wants a pat or is just 'playing' because they do not own your dogs.

You are the numpty for having them off the lead and expecting people to not be afraid of a dog running towards them.

Yours is the typical selfish attitude that I find most dog owners have. Always thinking of yourself and your dog before others. Always. The park is a public place for humans to walk around, not for dogs to run all over the place scaring the crap out of others who may not like dogs.
    Dont go to the park then. Problem solved. Dont blame the poor dog just cos you're scared.
    No I dont blame the dog, I blame the owners who seem to think its ok to let thier animal off its lead around other humans.

The parks are there for humans, not for dogs. If dogs are going to be there, they should be on a lead. Simple as that.

I dont see the argument here, at all. Its 99% of the time the dog owners who are in the wrong, not the poor sod who for all you know has a fear of dogs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you Awesome-o...I honestly cannot believe that Iateallthepies thinks it's appropriate for their dog to be running up to random people. Whether your dog is friendly is completely irrelevant.

Even if their dog did just want a 'pat', it's still the person's right not to pat your dog and not to have it anywhere near them. Put it on a lead. Simple as.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    On the beach ? What beaches allow dogs on them any more ? Not that we take ours to the beach anyway because of the rubbish left behind by humans - nappies particularly offend me, they are dangerous too.

Botany Bay in Kent. (The nicest beach in Kent btw!)

Was also furious with a stupid woman who allowed her dog (not on lead) to run over and start jumping up at our kids. She didn't even acknowledge us, let alone apologise! I was 30 seconds from pinning it to the deck with my knee.

(sorry-had to vent agin, I know most of you owners are ok! :) )
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    JoshuaUK wrote: »
    I agree with you Awesome-o...I honestly cannot believe that Iateallthepies thinks it's appropriate for their dog to be running up to random people. Whether your dog is friendly is completely irrelevant.

Even if their dog did just want a 'pat', it's still the person's right not to pat your dog and not to have it anywhere near them. Put it on a lead. Simple as.

and I agree too. Just today I was walking my lab round the local park when I noticed 2 ladies who had 4 dogs between them, 2 were on leads, the other 2 were not. One of those not on the lead was a boxer, a man and his son were walking across the field when this boxer charged over to them, I thought they knew them but no the young lad was terrified and the dog was jumping up him and kept chasing him. The young lad didn't know what to do and the owners were just standing there like dummies, not calling the dog or anything. By now the young lad was really frightened and shouting, his dad was trying to ignore it but he lad ran away and the dog started to chase it. The owners were still just standing there, eventually the young lad ran through the hedge and the dog then raced back to his owners. I was too far away to comment but this lad was obviously frightened of dogs and these stupid women did nothing to help him. He was a young boxer and just wanted to play but the young lad didn't no that. I was very unhappy with the attitude of the owners, they should have made some attempt to recall the dog.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member

I'm a dog owner and I agree. My dog is crazy and hyper. If he's off-lead, he may very well run towards people. He won't jump but he may approach and he's super friendly but it's still not appropriate behaviour. Lots of people don't like dogs, so I keep him on the lead. I used to be terrified of dogs, so I very much understand the fear. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Why is it people think it's acceptable to let their dogs run around freely in parks while there are loads of other people about?

I was at a park yesterday and there were dogs running around everywhere. I had at least two run up to me and one try and jump up on me. The owner, assuming that everyone likes her rabid animal, laughed and didn't even apologise.

Why is it that dog owners assume that everyone is comfortable with dogs and doesn't mind them running up to them?

I'm very very scared of dogs (I cross the road if I see one coming) so would really appreciate being able to walk in a park without dogs running around freely. To me, it just seems really selfish - keep your dog under control.

OK... Do you realise that A:dogs need excercise outside of thier homes and B: You live in a dog loving country?
    If you don't like dogs running around off the lead in the park, don't go to any parks. Or you could emmigrate to Korea, i think they may be more your kind of people. Simples;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK... Do you realise that A:dogs need excercise outside of thier homes and B: You live in a dog loving country?
    If you don't like dogs running around off the lead in the park, don't go to any parks. Or you could emmigrate to Korea, i think they may be more your kind of people. Simples;)

Classic ignorant and arrogant assumption of many dog owners, I'm afraid. If you'd read this thread you'd see that actually many people don'y love dors.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe some of the dog owners in this thread, yes we are a dog loving country but that does not mean you can allow your dog to interfere in anyone else's pleasure at the park etc.

If your off lead dog runs up to my on lead dog it will get bitten - hopefully not too badly but it doesn't need to be hurt at all if you just do the sensible thing and put it on a lead or call it back to you !

Many people are scared of dogs (I used to be one) and having a dog run up to you does not cure the fear in fact it makes it worse, so that young boy if he was scared before is probably terrified now !
    Forum Member
    Oh, I knew I was in the wrong and apologised to the lady concerned. What I meant was that in her case she made the situation worse by freaking out. My dog would've had a sniff, realised she wasn't a doggy person and lost interest. If the man had kept walking towards us instead of turning on his heels and running away like a big old woos, the dogs would've walked past him.
    Forum Member
    and I agree too. Just today I was walking my lab round the local park when I noticed 2 ladies who had 4 dogs between them, 2 were on leads, the other 2 were not. One of those not on the lead was a boxer, a man and his son were walking across the field when this boxer charged over to them, I thought they knew them but no the young lad was terrified and the dog was jumping up him and kept chasing him. The young lad didn't know what to do and the owners were just standing there like dummies, not calling the dog or anything. By now the young lad was really frightened and shouting, his dad was trying to ignore it but he lad ran away and the dog started to chase it. The owners were still just standing there, eventually the young lad ran through the hedge and the dog then raced back to his owners. I was too far away to comment but this lad was obviously frightened of dogs and these stupid women did nothing to help him. He was a young boxer and just wanted to play but the young lad didn't no that. I was very unhappy with the attitude of the owners, they should have made some attempt to recall the dog.

That's an awful situation. If my dogs had done that to anyone I'd have been mortified. I certainly would've attempted to recall them and failing that run up and grabbed them away, followed by a right ticking off.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walk my dogs in a little wood used only by dog walkers most of us allow our dogs to run free, we all know each other and each others dogs.The dogs I meet are not at all interested in the owners but other dogs. When dogs are on leads they are far more inclined to pull and become excited as it stops them from doing what dogs do, sorting out who is who in dog terms. If in the unlikely event of a fight a responsible dog owner should be able to command , heel, or sit. In parks and public areas used by non doggie people I would always have my dogs on a lead. They find it quite boring and oddly enough there is always far more dog pooh and worse in public parks. Personally I avoid them as I think of things my dogs might catch. Responsible dog owners are to be defended. I agree tho that some dog owners are very thoughtless, I dont like them either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I don't walk my dog in the park much anymore- why? because it is far to busy generally and I am of the opinion than unless there is a VERY good idea dogs should be allowed to run free at some point. It is an highlight of my day to see my dog run and roll until his hearts content and I am sure it is an highlight of his also.

I take him to quieter areas and if I keep an eye out for anyone approaching- person with or without dogs- I put him back on his lead until it is safe to leave him off again or it becomes obvious the other dog owner is fine for both dogs to play.

I think this is just respectful. I am sorry you have a dog phobia and I suggest you try and over come this you are obviously making steps to do so by walking throuh a park which is known to be a known dog walking area in most places, I will however not keep my dog on his lead one hundred per cent of the time for you or anyone.

I used to be pretty scared of dogs but since I got my own- I totally love dogs and I am basically not bothered if any dog comes up to me for a stroke :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a dog owner I totally agree that dogs should be able to have some off lead time running around without bothering other people & dogs. But surely dog owners should also be vigilant & know where their dogs are & what they are doing at all times. If you see your dog walking towards someone who is clearly not very keen or trying to avoid your dog, then call it back to you, get it under control (whether that means putting ot on a lead or not) & make sure that other people aren't bothered. The same applies to other dogs that are on lead.

My biggest embarrassment was when I was walking on the South Downs, lots of open space, nobody around, no livestock & my dogs were off lead. As we walked round a corner there was an elderly lady & gent with a small, very white "powder puff" dog (can't remember the breed!). It was near them but off lead & we were walking towards them, they saw us but made no attempt to call their dog or to avoid us ~ so I left my dogs off lead thinking it was ok for the dogs to meet. Barney ambled towards them with a soppy grin, ready to say hello to the little dog ~ he wasn't excited, threatening or running. At the last minute, just as Barney was about to touch noses with this little dog, the lady owner suddenly swooped the little dog up into her arms. Barney, being very confused by this, put his front paws up on this lady to sniff the dog in her arms. Unfortunately he was very muddy & left huge muddy smears all over her pale blue jacket. I was mortified & rushed over to apologise & offered to pay for her jacket to be cleaned. But she was very nice about it & said it was her own fault for picking her dog up. Apparently her dog was a bit scared of large dogs & she was trying to get him used to them, but panicked at the last minute & couldn't stop her lifelong habit of picking her dog up. After a brief chat she put her dog down, by which time Barney had completely lost interest & found something else to do:). All's well that ends well in this instance!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I use an extendable lead with my dog. she gets some freedom to roam/run in the park but I can still keep her under my control
    tinman wrote: »
    It should be made law that dogs are on a lead,i have a 26ft lead that does the job just fine.People that dont put dogs on a lead are just as bad as those that dont clean up crap after them imo.:mad:
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    That's an awful situation. If my dogs had done that to anyone I'd have been mortified. I certainly would've attempted to recall them and failing that run up and grabbed them away, followed by a right ticking off.

Yes it was awful , when someone is frightened of dogs it isn't funny, my milklady doesn't like dogs, it's really wierd, I have to make sure I keep the dog away when she comes for her money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    If we know that the park we are entering has a lot of people there, and people who picnic, we will put Holly onto her long lead, that way she can roam but still have control. If it's near a road, she'll be put on her short lead. If it's just a park where a few people and dogs, she'll allowed offlead, however must come back if we see another dog on lead, or a much larger dog. She'll be put back on lead, or asked to heel by our side while we walk past.

We love taking her to the dog friendly beaches where she can just roam without us being particularly worried as she's not keen on the sea, so sticks to dry land :) Plays with a couple dogs, then comes to us when called :)

As long as you have a dog that will recall at least 95% I think that it's all good. If I see any children approaching her, I will call her back, pop her on lead, and then ask the children if they would like to stroke her.