I really hate it when people say....

Comments

• CerroneCerrone Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    People who say:

Hello YOU! instead of 'hello (name)' or just 'hello'.

'I work hard and play hard'. These people seem to see themselves as human dynamos or high achievers, when in fact they are just utter tossers.

'I'm a bit mad, me!' Says it all really.

'End of' instead of 'end of story' (which is bad already).

Actually, I like the first one, it's rather sweet.

But I agree with your other three. 'Work hard play hard' reminds me of 80s City of London types, the types that have got us into this s**t in the 2000s... :mad:
  • matrixladmatrixlad Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    My hate at the moment is "oh my days" as an expression of shock/surprise or whatever.

Yep its awful!
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,012
    Forum Member
    The use of 'simples' by any adult just makes me violent.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • matrixladmatrixlad Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats wrong with "simples"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead of ''Pardon'', my father frequently bellows ''UH !?!'' or ''WHA!?!" It bloody drives me insane !! Especially when he does it in public. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when people say "That lesson was a doss" Speak english properly please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matrixlad wrote: »
    Whats wrong with "simples"?

It makes you sound like a tw*t.
  • HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes you sound like a tw*t.
    Don't beat about the bush courtney, tell it as it is! :D
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idiots who keep saying 'at the end of the day'
  • IateallthepiesIateallthepies Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Most of these phrases - "simples", "my bad" and "oh my days" for example - were mildly endearing at first but are overused. You're not a tw*t for still saying them, just a bit lacking in original thought.

My personal gripe is the word "street" when describing a person. All that word conjures up in my mind are scary looking youths with a bad attitude and a propensity to crime. Nowt "cool" about that. God that reminds me I hate when people say "nowt" instead of nothing when they're not from Yorkshire.
    Forum Member
    MP and media talk of the "green shoots of recovery" is fair getting on my t1ts. So overused.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    al'right duck

ip 'anley duck
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Oh I didn't see you there! "

Yes you did or you'd have said "Hi there".
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "as best as I can". :mad:

It should be "the best I can".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    "Oh I didn't see you there! "

Yes you did or you'd have said "Hi there".
    Eh? :confused:
  • mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epic fail really irritates me.
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? :confused:

When people say they didn't see you there, like on a bus, I always feel that they did. Maybe it's just me as there greeting would be 'hello' when they first saw you .....

I'm rambling now, I know!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When someone on the phone having a go at you says "I'm not having a go at you but..." well, you're shouting and I'm the one you're shouting at so....

I don't like that people are saying things like "I'll see you in the pub Tuesday" no, you'll see me in the pub *on* Tuesday.

And I find that people write "Thankyou" with no space, very odd. It is 2 words.

And I also hate "it's him off of the telly" you don't need to see the of, just say "off the telly", why bother adding a word in when it's not needed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    When people say they didn't see you there, like on a bus, I always feel that they did. Maybe it's just me as there greeting would be 'hello' when they first saw you .....

I'm rambling now, I know!
    Ah I think am with yer now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Random and randoms are now EVERYWHERE! Photo albums on facebook are now 'Randoms' or 'Random night out' and there is nothing whatsoever random about them. Unless random now means 'boring' or 'self-absorbed tossers'.

'Awesome' meaning slightly better than okay :rolleyes:.

'Get a life' when not said jocularly is a nasty, spiteful phrase.

I love how it's always 'Poole in Dorset'. Poole is never said without being suffixed by 'in Dorset'. I can't think of any other large or well-known town/city that suffers the same fate. FFS we all know Poole is in Dorset! :D
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does exactly what it says on the tin.

and

Lovely bit of kit.
  • stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh_Matron wrote: »

I love how it's always 'Poole in Dorset'. Poole is never said without being suffixed by 'in Dorset'. I can't think of any other large or well-known town/city that suffers the same fate. FFS we all know Poole is in Dorset! :D

I didn't.
    Forum Member
    "of an evening/of an afternoon, etc", e.g. "what a fun thing to do of an evening" has always struck me as a bit of an arsey thing to say.

Oooh a real pet hate, when people end a business letter with "please do not hesitate to contact me". I mean, what the hell does that actually mean and what is a good alternative as all of my bosses use it and I want to impress them by suggesting something still formal but better?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    matrixlad wrote: »
    what other phrase really annoy you?

"I'm not racist I just hate those [insert race here]."
    Forum Member

And I also hate "it's him off of the telly" you don't need to see the of, just say "off the telly", why bother adding a word in when it's not needed?

I blame Radio One DJs for that. They say things like "so-and-so off of EastEnders" and for some bizarre reason it has caught on amongst unoriginal types.