Options

Ipad on Contract or purchase outright

bazzer00bazzer00 Posts: 77
Forum Member
I'm in the market for a new ipad and wondering whether to buy on contract or purchase outright from apple. Buying from Apple will obviously affect my cashflow as its a bigger upfront cost but I can do it. I was otherwise thinking of going with three mobile with their 15GB deal. I have usually bought all my devices outright from apple and was wondering if there was any disadvantage not doing this? There is very little in the cost if I purchase outright and then get a SIM only contract over the 2 years but it means that I will be tied down for 2 years if I buy on contract. what would others do in my position? thanks

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you simply get a cheaper wifi only model then tether to your mobile? Or is separate SIM essential for your needs?
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just opted to upgrade my iPhone and whilst the upfront cost is high which could present a cash flow problem for some, the total cost of ownership is lower when compared to a contract deal . This way I reduce my monthly outgoing, and I'm not tied into a contract - I can use Sim only deals.

Apple told me that for now the new iPad air 2 sim free only accepts EE , something that should change imminently ...I wonder if anyone else can confirm ?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    Apple told me that for now the new iPad air 2 sim free only accepts EE , something that should change imminently ...I wonder if anyone else can confirm ?
    No, you have misunderstood.

The new iPads come with an 'Apple SIM' which allows you to chose a data provider. Unfortunately the choice is limited to only EE in the UK! However, there is nothing stopping you from taking out the Apple SIM and and putting your own in. The iPad is not locked to EE.

Back to the OP, I don't believe buying an iPad on contract is good value. Most of the time you can just buy it outright and choose your own SIM. Personally, I think very few people actually need an iPad with 3G/4G and a Wi-Fi version is adequate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will go ahead and buy outright and just use PAYG sim deals as needed.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not get a WiFi only model and tether it to your mobile, as psionic suggested?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    No, you have misunderstood.

The new iPads come with an 'Apple SIM' which allows you to chose a data provider. Unfortunately the choice is limited to only EE in the UK! However, there is nothing stopping you from taking out the Apple SIM and and putting your own in. The iPad is not locked to EE.

Thanks Stig - that makes more sense ....it seems that even the Apple Sim may soon offer more providers than EE...good to know the Apple Sim can be swapped out in the meantime though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Why not get a WiFi only model and tether it to your mobile, as psionic suggested?

Depending on the OP's data requirements, the tethering limits of providers may prove restrictive. The halcyon days of 3's unlimited data inclusive of tethering are over and they now cap at 4gb. Other providers are equally frugal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably no more than between 4-6gb data a month needed at the most. When my three mobile 'one plan' comes to the end later this year than I will not get this via the tethering.

Tethering is all very well but when your out, it uses up your phone battery and is another step if you quickly want to check something . Easier to have a sim in the ipad...though maybe not as cost effective?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzer00 wrote: »
    Easier to have a sim in the ipad...though maybe not as cost effective?
    Definitely not as cost effective. Only you know how much you would us it. My own experience is; not much at all.

The other alternative is a MiFi gadget with a PAYG data SIM.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally can never see the point of paying extra for a sim iPad if you already have a smart phone. Most urgent stuff can be done via the phone and there are plenty of wi-fi hotspots about if you need to go on line when out with the iPad.