plusnet

Cat.JCat.J Posts: 651
Forum Member
✭✭
My phone/broadband contract with BT ends in a few weeks (Thank God. I'm overjoyed at not having to deal with them any more).

I've arranged to transfer to plusnet as they are cheaper and have UK call centres. Does anyone have any experience with them? I've been impressed so far but have heard poor reports about companies such as Talk Talk so am a little nervous that plusnet may turn out to be similar.

Any stories to tell? Either good or bad?

Comments

• Mark125Mark125 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plusnet is BT.

They're the same company.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are still run as a separate company to BT though. I've been with plusnet for about a year and half, and I couldn't recommended them enough.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Plusnet is the sort of ISP that we used to have - a good connection at a sensible price and its up to you to do what you want with it. :)
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My elderly folks changed from Talk Talk (broadband and telephone) LLU last September after 3 years of excruciating reliability and utterly pisspoor customer service. They moved to Plusnet and the line has been continually reliable and is very reasonably priced – between £18 - £22.50 (telephone eve & w/end) per month. Also their customer services are always contactable and very quick to deal with any concerns on the rare occasions they have arisen. As mentioned, Plusnet is now owned by BT, but operates separately.

Despite my parents distinct satisfaction with the service there are those who view Plusnet with less esteem and perhaps with good reason. The other thing to consider is that my folks do only very minimal downloading so there is a 10GB/month cap on their contract. Most people would quickly reach this so presumably arrange for a higher download capacity and will understandably incur higher charges.

Might be worth having a browse at this page on Think Broadband. But, from my folk’s perspective, a big thumbs-up. So good luck with your choice ;)
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    I've been with Plusnet for years and never had any issues. On the few occasions I've called them, customer support has been quick and knowledgeable (the polar opposite of most other ISPs I've dealt with). Around half-a-dozen family and friends also use Plusnet, and they've never had any issues either.
  • mikehadfieldmikehadfield Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with PlusNet for about 8 years - and found them to be very good indeed. Any problems I have had have always turned out to be BT exchange problems, but PlusNet were always helpful and managed to get BT to sort things fairly quickly.

I highly recommend them.
  • Cat.JCat.J Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to everyone who replied, I'm very reassured. Though I'm also a bit pi**ed off to find out that plusnet are owned by BT who I depise with a vengeance! :eek:

Oh well, as long as plusnet's customer service never deteriorates to the level of BT's (i.e. zero), I'll be reasonably happy. I don't do much downloading so should be ok with a 10GB/month cap. The plusnet sales bloke did say I'd have the same as I have with BT (maybe I should have twigged at that point that the two companies were linked!) so I should be able to manage.

Thanks everyone.:)
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been with them for a few years, nothing but good things to say. There were some teething problems at first regarding connection dropouts, but these were BT's fault and Plusnet's excellent customer service - who actually ring/email you back, and give you copies of all internal correspondance between themselves so you can make sure they're doing what they said - meant that it was sorted as soon as was possible.

10GB limit is fine - if you're a heavy downloader you can do this between 12PM and 7AM when the download limit doesn't apply, this is what I do for large files such as PS3 demos. Plus it's easy to keep track of your limits, which are broken down in-depth on their very easy to use website.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat.J wrote: »
    Though I'm also a bit pi**ed off to find out that plusnet are owned by BT who I depise with a vengeance! :eek:

Oh well, as long as plusnet's customer service never deteriorates to the level of BT's (i.e. zero), I'll be reasonably happy.
    No the customer service is nothing like BT's because they don't use an Indian call centre. It's a freephone to Yorkshire. I just switched to Plusnet a couple of days ago (from Orange, another user of Indian call centres) and it's like chalk and cheese. I had a couple of issues/queries that were very swiftly dealt with, and so far I rate Plusnet's customer service very highly. My sister has been with them three years and never had a single problem with them. A feature they have which I think is unique to them is that you can recommend someone to them and you get a discount off your monthly sub from when they sign up and for as long as the person remains a member (provided they quote your username on sign-up).
    ags_rule wrote: »
    10GB limit is fine - if you're a heavy downloader you can do this between 12PM and 7AM when the download limit doesn't apply.
    It's between midnight and 8AM actually. :)
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another happy Plusnet customer... where I live all ISP's essentially buy their service from BT so it makes little difference really.... the big reason I went with Plusnet was for the UK call centre plain and simple.....

Other ISP's, banks, customer support lines etc should take note!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks again for your replies. My main reason for choosing plusnet was because of its UK call centre and I agree with Orbitalzone - other UK companies should take note. But, of course, while they can save money by having overseas call centres I doubt very much that they'll listen to what their customers want. Maybe if everyone boycotted BT etc and moved to plusnet, it might make them think though (well we can hope!)
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I've been with Plusnet twice (for BB only) and found them OK, they did get themselves into a bit of a pickle by handing over user details to ACS:Law, but this was at BT's behest.

When I left them they tried to take payment when they shouldn't have (thankfully I had cancelled my DD), but apart from that they were problem free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been with PlusNet since we got Broadband here about 2004. They have been excellent, always helpful, get things sorted out, had a few problems with my connection, the BT exchange etc. However, I have a question, what's this about a 10gig limit? :confused: I only get a 1GB monthly allowance for £9.99, if I go over, which isn't often I have to pay an extra £1.50 I think it is, and this month (just been billed today) I have to pay £11.49 because I've just gone over. Should I be on the phone or is this normal?
    Forum Member
    flicker wrote: »
    I've been with PlusNet since we got Broadband here about 2004. They have been excellent, always helpful, get things sorted out, had a few problems with my connection, the BT exchange etc. However, I have a question, what's this about a 10gig limit? :confused: I only get a 1GB monthly allowance for £9.99, if I go over, which isn't often I have to pay an extra £1.50 I think it is, and this month (just been billed today) I have to pay £11.49 because I've just gone over. Should I be on the phone or is this normal?

You're on what they call a 'legacy product'. Depending on your exchange (i.e. which market) you can get 10Gb / month from £6.49.

I think for £11.49 you get 60Gb nowadays.

Time to have a chat with them I think.

One of the good things about them is (I think) they have monthly contracts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're on what they call a 'legacy product'. Depending on your exchange (i.e. which market) you can get 10Gb / month from £6.49.

I think for £11.49 you get 60Gb nowadays.

Time to have a chat with them I think.

One of the good things about them is (I think) they have monthly contracts.

Yeah, thanks, I've just filled in their contact form with the query, they say a 2 hour reply , so will see what they say, but my current product is £9.99 for 2GB and they have billed me £11.49 for last month, and I only used 1.75GB so I think they've made a mistake. The £6.49 product is for first three months, then it goes up to £12.99 thereafter apparently. I'd never use that amount though, only use it for web browsing, don't download stuff, so I'm better off sticking to my current one as long as they bill me correctly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update, to emphasise what a good lot they are at PlusNet, had a reply back within 2 hours, apologising for overcharging me, and crediting my account back with the £1.50. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, now that's what I call good customer service!:)

But what's this about the £6.49 service only being for the first 3 months? They never told me that, which was a bit naughty of them..... :eek:
    Forum Member
    Wow, now that's what I call good customer service!:)

But what's this about the £6.49 service only being for the first 3 months? They never told me that, which was a bit naughty of them..... :eek:

Yes - you have to go looking for the real cost and also make sure which market your exchange is in.

However, as I said earlier it's a one-month contract and, if yoI don't take their modem, nothing to pay if you migrate to another ISP.

I left them for an ISP which was LLU in my area and who doesn't traffic shape.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I've been with Plusnet for ages (since Force 9) and am very pleased with them.

If you're on a legacy package, change to one of the current ones; I'm on the 11 quid 60Gbyte (I used to pay 21 for less).

Also, it's worth asking them to supply their Thomson router; if you promise to stay for 12 months it's free, else 40 quid. It is rock solid, stays up for weeks if not months.

10/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Hi there!

I would like to go to Plusnet, however I will be buying my own Thomson 582N wireless router (upgraded version of the 585v8), however I have tried to find out if the technical guys at Plusnet will assist in the setting up of the router, in order to get me on line. It appears that no one wants to help with this issue. I just cannot fathom out this company

Any comments please.

Brooke Bond
    Forum Member
    BrookeBond wrote: »
    Hi there!

I would like to go to Plusnet, however I will be buying my own Thomson 582N wireless router (upgraded version of the 585v8), however I have tried to find out if the technical guys at Plusnet will assist in the setting up of the router, in order to get me on line. It appears that no one wants to help with this issue. I just cannot fathom out this company

Any comments please.

Brooke Bond

They will give you the settings for the router when you open your account. It is just a case then of entering the settings, username and password into the router's webpage.

I used my own router when I was with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I also see that they require a £25 fee for activation. I can get a MAC code, however I have never been requested for an activation fee - they are having a laugh!
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BrookeBond wrote: »
    Hi there!

Any comments please.

Brooke Bond

As has been mentioned like any ISP they supply the basic connection details but I am not sure why you would expect any ISP to get involved in supporting all the various routers available which they don't supply.

I have no complaints about them.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flicker wrote: »
    The £6.49 product is for first three months, then it goes up to £12.99 thereafter apparently.
    Actually, the £6.49 a month only increases after three months if you are unlucky enough to be based outside their "low cost areas". You are told in writing what to pay when you apply, so there's nothing hidden from you. (FYI, my sister has been with plusnet for 3 years and is still paying their old fee of £5.99 a month for the same service... in fact, she'll now pay a further 25p a month less because of her recent recommendation to me). :D
    http://www.plus.net/broadband/ (scroll down to bottom)

* Plusnet Value: If you live in a low cost area it costs £6.49 a month. If you live outside one of these areas it costs £6.49 a month for the first three months, then £10.79 or £12.99 a month depending on where you live.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Plusnet are now doing Fibre Optic Broadband so I would get that if you can, as it is much faster

You can go to the Plusnet website and order it there