Options

Autumn statement - all in this together

mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
Forum Member
✭✭
Just saw a graph on C4 News - there is a similar graph in this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/datablog/interactive/2012/dec/05/autumn-statement-2012-charts

So - do you think the financial results of the Autumn statement are fair?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you click on 'Alternative View' it's quite an eye opener.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »

Indeed, but hardly surprising given the Tories hatred for the poor.

Yes, we really are all in this together.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, but hardly surprising given the Tories hatred for the poor.

Yes, we really are all in this together.

We are. The pudding faced ex Etonian tories aren't.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, sure, unless your a rich tax dodger, or a member of parliament who drinks in Starbucks! :-) lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, I don't think so...

Although the graph shows the richest contribute the greatest share of their income, the top tenth have 850 times the wealth of the bottom tenth. It's not like they will have to face the stark choices the poorest, including working families, are going to have to face as a result of the cuts, not by a long way. The graph shows that the poorer you are at the bottom end of the scale the more you are going to be affected by the cuts.

Plus, as another poster pointed out, the richest tenth will get back what they lose through tax cuts this government have brought in.
  • Options
    EmmasmytheEmmasmythe Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the tories are LIARS no, we are not all in together, brass neck bared faced LIARS, simple as
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Yes. It's shocking but also not unexpected. The election-winning middle-income, middle classes are relatively well protected. The Tories despise the poor, but then I don't think either of the other two parties are much different these days. I can't stand the sight of Osborne or Cameron though.

'All in this together' must be one of the most meaningless, insulting political slogans ever to come out of a politician's mouth.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It's shocking but also not unexpected. The election-winning middle-income, middle classes are relatively well protected. The Tories despise the poor, but then I don't think either of the other two parties are much different these days. I can't stand the sight of Osborne or Cameron though.

'All in this together' must be one of the most meaningless, insulting political slogans ever to come out of a politician's mouth.

Along with 'The Big Society'.
  • Options
    hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All in it together ?

... some are more 'in it ' than others , I'd say
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it called the autumn statement? We are a week in to December and it is winter.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

completely unsurprised.:(
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand the sight of Osborne or Cameron though .

Agreed. George 'Gideon' Osborn has to be the nastiest, sneering Tory ever. Just such a dislikeable person who clearly understands nothing about an average person's life :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Agreed. George 'Gideon' Osborn has to be the nastiest, sneering Tory ever. Just such a dislikeable person who clearly understands nothing about an average person's life :mad:

I think Ian Duncan Smith beats him in that stakes, but only by 1 point. :D
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Ian Duncan Smith beats him in that stakes, but only by 1 point. :D

Ugh him - yuck!
    He seems to have such a look of disgust when speaking, talking about those 'commoners' so beneath him :mad:

With Osborn, Gove, Duncan Smith & Cameron, has there ever been a more vile and repulsive core of Conservatives in one cabinet??
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Along with 'The Big Society'.
    Along with 'hardworking families' that I'm finding increasingly annoying since I'm single.

I do think it's good that those in the middle are least impacted but hitting the poor is unfortunate. Sadly since they make most use of the welfare state it's probably unavoidable.

As for hitting the rich - I dunno. Most of them are very productive and useful people so we don't want to send them running to other countries. They already contribute more in taxes than any other group. That old statistic that says something like the top 10% of earners contribute 75% of income tax. Also unless you are a miser a 'rich person' likely pays more VAT and Excise duty than a 'poor person'. I'm nearly in the top 10% and I spend about £2k a month on average so that's quite a bit of VAT and duty the government is getting from me.