Open backed Hospital gowns on general wards

MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I havent been in a Hospital for ages (touch wood) but I have seen a few UK programmes (not factual but entertainment)
where the Actors are shown in Hospital wearing these gowns even if they are supposed to have been in for some time.

I am used to seeing US programmes where people are shown wearing these and I assumed thats what happens in real life over there.

However last time I was in Hospital I wore my own nighty.

Are these gowns now actually used in UK for patients on a general ward ( and not just for patients needing a garment that can be removed without disturbing them like IT)

If so can you tell the Hospital to F off and wear your own
night clothes.

Just wondering ....

Comments

• CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my experience you wear the gowns,when you are having an op, the rest of the time you wear your own or even clothes.
  • BlomkvistBlomkvist Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexy.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have worn them for a medical examination and also for a scan and x-ray. For anything other than an operation I have worn my underpants under the gown. I have never seen them used on hospital wards for general use.
  • Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patients are encourage to wear their own night clothes where ever appropriate - the gowns are provided for patients who don't have any of their own, or who are going for a procedure/op etc.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Ours are used for operations mainly, although a lot get used for patients who dont fit into hospital pyjamas or nighties and dont bring their own clothes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only put them on you when you go for a scan/operation
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patients are encourage to wear their own night clothes where ever appropriate - the gowns are provided for patients who don't have any of their own, or who are going for a procedure/op etc.

This .........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I had to wear one when getting a back x-ray. I was allowed to keep my boxers on though.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, does anyone know if US Hospitals actually use them in general wards or again is that what you just see on TV
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Libitina wrote: »
    This .........

That .....
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That .....

The Other
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, does anyone know if US Hospitals actually use them in general wards or again is that what you just see on TV

I had an major operation (craniotomy / tumor biopsy) in 2009 at a hospital in Minneapolis (USA) and I remember wearing a gown for at least a few days.

I stayed a night at a hospital seven years prior for an ATV accident, and I woke up the next morning in a gown or shirtless (can't remember). Apparently they had to remove fragments of dirt and trees from my left thigh.

So for major operations, yes, because it makes hooking up a catheter, IV, etc, so much easier.
  • Fancy pantsFancy pants Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was rushed into hospital with appendicitis and had them quickly whipped out. As I didn't know I was going to hospital and having an operation, I didn't have anything with me, so I was put in a hospital gown. Later on though my husband brought in nightwear, slippers, underwear, toothbrush, etc, so I wore my own nightwear.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The paper pants you have to wear underneath are worse. Absolutely dignity destroying. But since I was under anaesthetic when all and sundry would see my bits I didn't really care as I presumed they removed the gown during surgery.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Ours are used for operations mainly, although a lot get used for patients who dont fit into hospital pyjamas or nighties and dont bring their own clothes.

Agreed, l got sent to hospital from my GP's surgery and not having family in London it took a while to organise my own pyjamas.
    Mind you l was in Coronary Care for a few days, and nobody was wearing their own PJ's, and readmitted to coronary care from a ward, and given a gown to wear rather than my own clothes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    The paper pants you have to wear underneath are worse. Absolutely dignity destroying. But since I was under anaesthetic when all and sundry would see my bits I didn't really care as I presumed they removed the gown during surgery.

OMG yes those paper pants were horrible! :( I'm really skinny and they were so baggy and very unflattering. :p I honestly looked in the mirror and wanted to cry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    The first time, I put it on back to front :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    Urghh I hate those things, I have memories of having one on after an op and trying to drag a drip on wheels thingy with me to the bathroom while trying to keep my dignity with my other hand closing the gap up round the back :o