Options

Has Greg missed out on breakfast?

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
Like Scott Mills has Greag James missed out on the Breakfast show?

I expect Nick will be around for a while, by the time he leaves Greg will be seen to be too old by the bosses

Comments

• Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Nick lasts anywhere near as long as Moyles, then Greg probably has missed out. He's like their 'insurance choice' in case Nick messes up or ratings fall too low. I thought I read an interview where Greg said he didn't want it anyway, but he'd have to say that after being skipped over for promotion for Grimmy I suppose.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been like that since the day's of Noel Edmonds who probably shouldn't have had breakfast same goes for Mike Smith and Steve wright. Breakfast show is big commitment up early. Pleasing the listeners etc etc. I think Greg probably would have been an eqilivent of Adrian Child's, but on the Radio grumpy sounding first thing.
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    It's been like that since the day's of Noel Edmonds who probably shouldn't have had breakfast same goes for Mike Smith and Steve wright. Breakfast show is big commitment up early. Pleasing the listeners etc etc. I think Greg probably would have been an eqilivent of Adrian Child's, but on the Radio grumpy sounding first thing.

Noel Edmonds shouldn't have had breakfast???.Who are you.Tony Blackburn's agent?;):D
    Why? Back that statement up.He lasted five years on that show before he quit of his own accord. Noel was a complete success and the absolute right decision was made to appoint him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I don't think so.

I'm not sure Radio 1 will let Nick stay for eight years. They wouldn't want to get into the same mess they've been in. I'd expect them to keep the breakfast fresh by not keeping anyone longer than 5 years.

Greg could very well still get breakfast after Nick. He didn't get it last year because he'd only just got Drive, so would have been very hard for Radio 1 to try and settle him on breakfast AND another new drive host after just 6 months.
  • Options
    BoeyBoey Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I'm going with a prediction that Greg will be on breakfast by Jan 2015. :D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the ratings keep falling in the Radio 1 demographic for Nicks One Direction show. Maybe January 2014.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    Greg doesn't really have the personality to own the Radio One breakfast show - I guess he would have to given some sort of 'posse' to make it work.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a crying shame Scott never got it. He might have been too old by R1 standards but his attitude and features would have fitted right in. Especially with Chris and Beccy as part of the team.

Oh well, must make do with his odd week of cover for Grimmy.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Greg is so boring so unless he has finds a personality I really hope he never gets it. Although, I suppose it can't get much worse than it is at the moment.

Scott Mills is without doubt the best daytime DJ at that station and it's a damn shame he never got the chance to do it. :(
  • Options
    CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant stand Greg his drive time show is dire!!

I just don't get how people like him. Scott is miles better he should never have been moved.

Him and Chris are legends
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

Joel Exmonds was on breakfast for five years and in those days was a constantly inventive presenter so what's the rationale for your position?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Agree with you Boey. I reckon Greg will do it and quite possibly by Jan 2015. We'll have to endure Grimmy next year and then they'll shake it all up again. (Here's hoping anyway.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Joel Exmonds was on breakfast for five years and in those days was a constantly inventive presenter so what's the rationale for your position?

Who's this guy Joel Exmonds?
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member

Anyone who remembers Noel Edmonds on breakfast is far too old to comment on who the current presenter should be. Maybe start considering Chris Evans' repalcement in 20 years instead.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Was unfortunate enough to be exposed to the Radio 1 Breakfast Show this morning in a taxi. It's had been a while after permanently switching off soon after Grimmy took over.

The programme seem dedicated to the London Fashion Show, combined with his usual celeb and "Showquizness" crap. Is Grimshaw's scope so damn limited that the show has to revolve around his own personal lifestyle? Just how many morning listeners care about the lifestyles of the London elite and fashion scene?!!

If listener figures don't plunge further, I must be seriously out of touch!
  • Options
    PlanetPlanet Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Grimshaw still sounds like a stand-in on the Breakfast Show, it's like having naff supply teacher at school; you're just waiting for the proper teacher to come back and do a better job!
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    I hope Greg gets the gig sooner rather than later. I'm well within R1's target demographic, and I never listen to the Breakfast Show on R1 now. Well, not for any length of time anyway. After a shaky start, I think Greg's show in the evenings is pretty good now - quite like the bits when Chris Smith gets involved. They're quite an amusing pairing, if not really 'laugh-out-loud'. I think that'd work well at breakfast time, even if it is reverting back to the Moyles-type show again.

Ironically, despite the ridiculous need to bring down the age, I don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to. I like the guys that've been there the longest - Scott and Coxy and Greg (I know he's not been there for years and years, but he's been there a while now). As soon as Cotton came back, I stopped listening to that slot now. Sara was excellent during Fearne's maternity leave. That show should either go to her (although I know she's doing that 80s show on R2 now) or Annie Mac. Fearne is absolutely unlistenable in the extreme.

As for Mills, well I'll be gutted when he gets binned off. His shows have been at the top of their game this past year or so.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greg James reviews headphones for the Guardian.

From the comments below the reviews, Guardian readers are not impressed.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Greg James reviews headphones for the Guardian.

From the comments below the reviews, Guardian readers are not impressed.
    I'm surprised Guardian readers find the time to read anything else once they've got through all the whingeing about Edward Snowden and smashed computers. I wish they'd do some more on that topic in that paper........ :D
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Who's this guy Joel Exmonds?

He's Noel Edmonds trying to type on a phone whilst on the train and failing!