Blandings

davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,002
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Surprised there's no thread for this. Can I just say what an absolute joy! wonderfully English & eccentric. Some real laugh out loud moments tonight too. Don't know if they're taking liberties with the stories. I must read some Wodehouse.

Comments

• stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a thread when it was first broadcast last year. What channel are you watching? I didn't see it in my EPG.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    utter rubbush
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    There was a thread when it was first broadcast last year. What channel are you watching? I didn't see it in my EPG.

BBC1 6:30
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dammit. If it's series two I'll have to iPlayer it. I found the first series a bit variable in quality depending on the guest actors.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    Surprised there's no thread for this. Can I just say what an absolute joy! wonderfully English & eccentric. Some real laugh out loud moments tonight too. Don't know if they're taking liberties with the stories. I must read some Wodehouse.

It is good in an absurd and surreal way. Loved the first series but I didn't take to the Harry Enfield character tonight. Just loud and nothing more. Missed the curtain raising car drive into the tree too, plus not sure about the new Beech.
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with davestoke and Chris1964 - it is a joy, and Harry Enfield did misjudge the vibe slightly. I liked his 'manly laugh' demo though.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched an episode of the first series and it's not for me. I realise comedy is subjective and no doubt some people will find it amusing but I just find the characters incredibly irritating more than funny. The worst has to be the idiotic son.
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    utter rubbush

How insightful.

I was going to watch this but your detailed and well referenced critique has persuaded me that maybe I shouldn't.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched an episode of the first series and it's not for me. I realise comedy is subjective and no doubt some people will find it amusing but I just find the characters incredibly irritating more than funny. The worst has to be the idiotic son.

I know what you mean....though I see it as an affectionate mickey take of such characters, if I thought we were meant to admire them and find them genuinely amusing in their own right I couldn't handle it. :D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member

I tried the 1st series as I luv Tim Spall :blush: but didn't find it funny. Thought I would try again as there were some different stars in it and still don't like it.

I feel I have a good sense of humour but this show just does not tickle me.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    This was absolute tripe last year. Last night, I watched two minutes of it on the Iplayer and gave up again.

I won't be bothering again and I love Wodehouse.

But this is awful!
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Never watched it before yesterday but I really enjoyed it. Perfect for the time and day.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like ITVs Jeeves & Wooster with Fry and Laurie they do take liberties, but like Jeeves & Wooster I think they capture the spirit of the books.

As a big Wodehouse fan I could nit-pick to my heart's content, but I enjoy it for what it is and there are enough laugh out loud moments to make it enjoyable.
  • Will WhitfootWill Whitfoot Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I racked my brains to remember where the Duke of Dunstable / Sir Roderick Glossop story happens, but a quick google reveals that it is a sub-plot in "Uncle Fred in the Springtime".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Fred_in_the_Springtime

There it is (Pongo's) Uncle Fred - a past master at imposting :) - who poses as Sir Roderick, which makes a bit more sense age-wise.

However, this version has kept some salient points, particularly the Duke's egg-throwing at anyone who whistles "Loch Lomond". :D

For me, this episode was worth it for the priceless exchange between Pongo (disguised as Sir Roderick) and Freddie.

P: I'd better warn you, I am a bit drunk.
    F: Why?
    P: Because I've been drinking.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if they're taking liberties with the stories.

Yes they are. It looks as if a bunch of teenagers adapted it. There' s no subtlety at all.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    You may not have detected the subtlety if you are used to having it gift-wrapped. :kitty:
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like ITVs Jeeves & Wooster with Fry and Laurie they do take liberties, but like Jeeves & Wooster I think they capture the spirit of the books.

As a big Wodehouse fan I could nit-pick to my heart's content, but I enjoy it for what it is and there are enough laugh out loud moments to make it enjoyable.

Personally I thought Jeeves and Wooster (ITV) was a class apart(though have to say I haven't read any of the books), but if you "get" the humour then Blandings is good escapism for Sunday teatime(If you don't "get" the humour than its going to seem like aristocratic hogwash). Jennifer Saunders is brilliant imo and has the best lines-the ability to ridicule someone and them not necessarily realise it is a talent I wished I had :)
    That said-last nights episode was not the best imo.

Re Jeeves and Wooster, the only let down was that there was so many cast changes and there was never any real continuity through the series. The scenes with Hugh Laurie at the piano half learning/half singing and playing a new song are just priceless imo.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were very few gentlemen's gentlemen who acted and sounded as if they came from a better family, and went to a better school, than their gentleman, let alone many who exuded the supreme conceitedness of a Stephen Fry (or "Stephen" as his bizarrely goofy fans like to address him). But that just shows how Fry gets away with murder no matter what tosh he does.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not rip roaringly funny but easy to watch and fits a Sunday tea time slot.
    Love the duchess.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    my mother would have loved this.shame shes no longer alive to do so
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I am sure it will get endlessly repeated on Paradise Gold. ;)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit like Sir Henry at Rawlinson End, except less surreal and without Stanshall's erudite narration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this normally, but Harry Enfield was so over the top, can't act, it was ruined.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Timothy Spall is an absolute joy and Clarence is a wonderful character. Makes Blandings worth watching.