Options

Mouthguard

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The dentist has told me that i am grinding my teeth down and probably doing this in my sleep and basically the teeth are being worn down and i need a mouthguard to wear when i sleep to protect them from being further worn away.

He says the mouthguard will cost £150 and i need it urgently. But a friend reckons you can get a mouth guard in boots for a tenner or something and thinks i would be silly to spend £150. But i don't know if a cheap one from boots is going to be a proper decent one or not?

Should i spend £150 or get one for a tenner at boots?

Also are they uncomfortable to wear? I'm not that delighted at the prospect of having to wear one :confused:

Comments

• Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea, try the one from boots and see how you get on with it? My son had one from sports direct that he refused to wear because he didnt like it. Id guess a dentist one would be made to fit your mouth and would fit better though.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    The mouth guard will be made especially for you, by the dentist taking a mould of your teeth, so it should fit exactly.

I had one done a couple of years ago, and I can't remember the exact amount I was charged, but I think it was around £60 from my NHS dentist.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look for mouth guards on Amazon or eBay, there are plenty of thermo-forming ones which you mould to fit yourself. I'm using one and it works fine.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    The dentist has told me that i am grinding my teeth down and probably doing this in my sleep and basically the teeth are being worn down and i need a mouthguard to wear when i sleep to protect them from being further worn away.
    You can get one for less that you heat in warm water to mould it to your teeth. I tried one once but really couldn't get one with it at all. I have quite a strong gag reflex and just couldn't relax with that in my mouth.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I had one many years ago for tooth grinding and problems with my TMJ. It cost quite a bit and needed altering quite often, which was an added expense!

I gave up eventually as I religiously put it in at night only to find it on the bedside table every morning as I'd taken it out without properly waking up and realising that I'd done it!

OP - I'd probably opt for a properly fitted one from the dentist - likely to be thinner than one you can get in sports shops or Boots and will be fitted properly to your teeth. Possibility is that if you grind onto a thick mouthguard at night (which you wouldn't generally do when wearing one during the day) you might cause muscle and joint problems in your jaw,which could give you headaches and pain.

Having said that, I'm not an expert or a dentist, so the above paragraph may be a complete load of baloney! :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice as I paid a mega amount for a anti snoring one from dentist, don't bother, get a moulded one, as has been said, from Amazon, that what i use, the dentist one is collecting dust, nowhere near as good.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grind and had one made by the dentist. You do need a properly made to fit one tbh. However I woke up every morning or halfway through the night with it out and somewhere in the bed! In the end I gave up on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I grind and had one made by the dentist. You do need a properly made to fit one tbh. However I woke up every morning or halfway through the night with it out and somewhere in the bed! In the end I gave up on it.

Hehe well i can imagine they must be terribly uncomfortable to wear
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Hehe well i can imagine they must be terribly uncomfortable to wear

They're not really as they are quite thin and fitted closely to your teeth. I have no idea why I kept taking mine out in my sleep! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too grind my teeth so had a mouthguard from the dentist.

Prior to having one, i used to wake up with horrendous toothache and would occasionally grind so much i would wake myself up.

Ive tried the non-dental ones before but they arent fitted so arent very comfortable.

I paid around £70 for mine but it is worth it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I had one a few years ago from dentist, they are moulded to the shape of your mouth. I'm going back ten years ago, but no I didn't like it. I felt like gagging with it on. Anyway the family dog managed to sniff it out and I came home to pieces of mouth guard all over my room.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one Boots sells is in the £25-30 range