Panorama - Domestic Violence

2»

Comments

• Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't catch this, did they show a case of violence against men?
    Not a single case.
    This has to rate as the most blatantly biased Panorama i've ever seen and a complete waste for the reason mentioned above. I wasn't surprised but bitterly disappointed at how Panorama could totally ignore and trow away such an opportunity. After all it was titled "Domestic Abuse"!! So from watching this, 'domestic abuse' is only from male to female and never female to male.

Brilliant. >:(
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Well they did mention that scenario as well as female on female domestic abuse but tbf the numbers of women who are abused and/or killed by men in a domestic setting outnumber other scenarios pretty significantly so no real need to get sniffy...
    Sorry but that's simply not a good enough excuse at all.

Nobody really knows the true extent of female on male violence as few men will talk about it. Also much of it is often psychological rather than physical to the extent where the victim himself doesn't realise at first exactly what is happening. Whilst physical can be brutal and usually instant, psychological is disturbingly gradual over long periods.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Well they did mention that scenario as well as female on female domestic abuse but tbf the numbers of women who are abused and/or killed by men in a domestic setting outnumber other scenarios pretty significantly so no real need to get sniffy...
    Yes, saying it's a gendered crime is not to downplay men's experiences or people in same sex relationships which, on an individual level, are as important, of course, and as appalling.

Women in heterosexual relationships vastly under-report, too.

This is not saying it's inherent in men to be violent. Most men aren't. But the gendered aspect can't be ignored, as race can't be ignored with regard to police violence in the US, for instance (and, as a white person, I don't feel the need to deny that or that racism disproportionality affects black people). I have read a lot about it through work (and that's not material written by nasty feminists but material in academic publications). I know people get very angry about anyone saying that (and I can understand that people want fairness) so people will not change their minds because of what someone they don't know says on a forum, as I am unlikely to. People will make up their own minds, after their own research.

Personally I think, as I said above, that society still sends out too many messages that men should be in charge of women as a natural state ie it is perpetuated by the idea of gender norms. To claim it's symmetrical misses the point, IMO. This is the mainstream view:

World Health Organization:
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs239/en/
    Intimate partner and sexual violence are mostly perpetrated by men against women and child sexual abuse affects both boys and girls.
    The unequal position of women relative to men and the normative use of violence to resolve conflict are strongly associated with both intimate partner violence and non-partner sexual violence.
    http://www.refuge.org.uk/about-domestic-violence/domestic-violence-and-gender/
    Research shows that domestic violence is a deeply gendered issue that disproportionately affects women
    http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-violence-survivors-handbook.asp?section=000100010008000100310003
    Crime statistics and research show that domestic violence is gender specific - that is, it is most commonly experienced by women and perpetrated by men, particularly when there is a pattern of repeated and serious physical assaults, or when it includes rape or sexual assault or results in injury or death.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:L2NoB_Xe9MQJ:www.scotland.gov.uk/resource/doc/925/0063070.pdf+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
    (Scottish Executive paper discusses the 'symmetry' argument)
    Qualitative and discursive research to explore the complex experiences and
    meanings of violence used by men and women provides some helpful counters to the facile claims of gender symmetry and equivalence.

Dobash and Dobash (2004) studied 95 couples in Scotland with men and women reporting separately on violence in their relationship. They conclude that women’s use of violence differs in nature, frequency, intention, intensity, injury and emotional impact. Men reported women’s violence as ‘inconsequential’ which did not affect their wellbeing or safety.

Swan’s research into violent women (2005) found that moderate physical violence and emotional abuse were comparable between men and women, but that severe physical violence, injury, sexual coercion, and other controlling behaviours were mostly committed by men. Most female violence was reactive and driven by defensive motives. She concludes that male violence against women is a strong predictor of women’s violence, and that in order to challenge both male and female violence, traditional gender attitudes and roles must be targeted.
    It informs the discourse and consensus of international organisations,
    including the United Nations General Assembly, the World Health
    Organisation, UNICEF and Amnesty International.

The UN General Assembly
    declared in 1993 that ‘Violence against women is a manifestation of
    historically unequal power relations between men and women, which have
    led to domination over and discrimination against women by men, and the
    prevention of the full advancement of women; and that violence against
    women is one of the crucial social mechanisms by which women are forced
    into a subordinate position compared with men’, while Secretary General Kofi
    Annan observed in 1999: ‘Violence against women is perhaps the most
    shameful human rights violation, and it perhaps the most pervasive. It knows
    no boundaries of geography, culture or wealth. As long as it continues, we
    cannot claim to be making real progress towards equality, development and
    peace’

Why has the Scottish Executive adopted a gendered analysis of
    domestic abuse?
    • It acknowledges the Western historical legacy, evident in Scottish social,
    religious and legal traditions, which accepted, justified and legalised the right
    of men to control and chastise their intimate partner and children, within a
    framework of mastery and possession.
    • It comprehends that the use of physical and sexual violence has been
    extensively employed in human history to impose and consolidate men’s
    control over women and children
    http://kareningalasmith.com/2013/04/29/this-thing-about-male-victims/ (warning: feminist writing)
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    This has to rate as the most blatantly biased Panorama i've ever seen and a complete waste for the reason mentioned above. I wasn't surprised but bitterly disappointed at how Panorama could totally ignore and trow away such an opportunity. After all it was titled "Domestic Abuse"!! So from watching this, 'domestic abuse' is only from male to female and never female to male.

Nobody really knows the true extent of female on male violence as few men will talk about it. Also much of it is often psychological rather than physical to the extent where the victim himself doesn't realise at first exactly what is happening. Whilst physical can be brutal and usually instant, psychological is disturbingly gradual over long periods.
    Nobody just hits you in a domestic setting. Physical violence is always accompanied by psychological violence. Psychological violence is horrendous. People who suffer physical violence suffer psychological violence too.
  • PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have to leave some time.
    Better early on than later.

That's why I believe 'One hit and that's it'.

As to more psychological stuff, that's harder but again we need to define a line.

I'm not too keen on them suggesting Michael purposely choose a house away from people just so that he could control his wife. It might have helped but did he really have that in his head when he thought about it?

I also agree with the one hit policy especially if it happens before you get more anchored into the relationship with children etc. years ago I went out with someone who
    , when we disagreed for the first time he made a fist at me. I left there and then because I suspected that gesture could become the real thing eventually.
  • RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Dr Ruth Jones' quote "Abusive men use children to try to destroy the bond between mother and child" I found deeply ironic in what was an otherwise factual programme, considering women are just as likely if not moreso to do with (given current custody rates) to break that relationship between father and child.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Ruth Jones' quote "Abusive men use children to try to destroy the bond between mother and child" I found deeply ironic in what was an otherwise factual programme, considering women are just as likely if not moreso to do with (given current custody rates) to break that relationship between father and child.
    As i said....a blatantly biased programme which Panorama threw away the opportunity to highlight female to male violence/abuse which is so rarely discussed.

Yes the type of abuse you mention will be overlooked though in preference to the portrayal of the battered woman. It 'sits' easier and makes for popular viewing.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

OMG ALL domestic violence/abuse is underreported but more to the point the programme didn't preclude any scenario as they were all acknowledged...