Mmm, let me calculate this one...
    ISIS get some publicity by capturing someone
    ISIS get some publicity by making a ransom video
    ISIS get some publicity by murdering someone on video
    ... this is publicity one can't buy for £200m
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a slightly different tactic, rather than showing a beheading out of the blue they are now giving a timed warning and asking for money rather than just beheading and posting the video.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, you get one more video out of it
    :kitty:
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    So despite all the spy technology available to the West, we still can't locate Jihadi John.

Be interesting to see what the Japanese do in this situation. I can't see them paying $200m, but will they try and offer any sort of money at all?
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Is this a slightly different tactic, rather than showing a beheading out of the blue they are now giving a timed warning and asking for money rather than just beheading and posting the video.

Just common fkn thieves at the end of the day.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be the low oil price is now affecting their funding and they need the money.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more outlandish the demand they make, the more news it makes. Next time it may be "... and a Saturn V waiting for us at Cape Canaveral pointed at heaven"
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    So despite all the spy technology available to the West, we still can't locate Jihadi John.

Be interesting to see what the Japanese do in this situation. I can't see them paying $200m, but will they try and offer any sort of money at all?

Japan won't capitulate. They'll probably send a couple of tanto daggers with a note suggesting the two captives do the job themselves.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He probably flys back to the UK between video appearances.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose if I wanted to make a point about how tough I am against the Wests constant intervention in the Middle East, I'd go capture a couple of Japanese people too. **rolleyes**

I suppose the brightside is now they look like the clowns they are, and hopefully this is a sign that they are falling apart under their own weight.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They ought to donate the same amount of money to anyone who can supply a certified video of Jihadi John being fed very slowly into an unwashed bacon slicer.
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this be blamed on "aggressive Western foreign policy" too?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Japan won't capitulate. They'll probably send a couple of tanto daggers with a note suggesting the two captives do the job themselves.

I know it's probably the wrong subject matter but I did find that funny
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I'm not much of a technology geek, but can't Internet service providers do something to stop these videos from appearing online, or at least get rid of them swiftly, and starve these monsters of the oxygen of publicity?
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    The Japanese are trained in the art of battle. I predict we will hear of a bloody katana fight later today as the captives burst free and slaughter the captors.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It seems to be that ISIS are now just going out of their way to alienate themselves from everyone who isn't a radical muslim. Their just turning into gangsters and criminals.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    He probably flys back to the UK between video appearances.

I lolled at this, but only because its probably true :D
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their just turning into gangsters and criminals.

When were they anything else?
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    I lolled at this, but only because its probably true :D

Worse still the tax payer probably pays for him

@What Name?? yes very true
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

I might be wrong, but I think they demanded money from our government for the release of hostages that came from Britain and when they didn't get it, they killed them.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Just common fkn thieves at the end of the day.

IS really are absolute scum. They're the lowest of the low.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Possibly a lower amount for Goto and probably none for Yukawa.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I know it's probably the wrong subject matter but I did find that funny

I just can't find anything remotely amusing at the prospect of those two men being beheaded.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    I just can't find anything remotely amusing at the prospect of those two men being beheaded.

I agree. The semi-humorous nature of many of the replies is completely out of place and only, I suspect, a consequence of the people involved being Japanese rather than white Westerners.

That said, and there's clearly a problem with diminishing returns for the filth of Islamic State. People adapt to all sorts of horrors. It's how our brain's evolved.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, academia and Kapellmeister. I find those jokes quite upsetting, but I chose not to say anything because I didn't want to create a chance for some to make more similar jokes. Again, thank you for being decent.