Are Tesco trying to upset its customers?

AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know a lot of people here dislike Tesco for a range of good reasons.

I have remained a loyal customer for several years. We spend about £70 with them every week, which I think is higher than average for a weekly shop.

However, they have now managed to p*£$ me off too. They sent an email today saying if I spend over £120 (!!!) with them three weeks in a row, they will send me a £40 voucher (as long as I spend another £120 on the fourth week).

It seems to me this is a desperate greedy measure to encourage regular customers to have a big blow-out and increase their monthly profits. I for one threw their "fantastic" offer in the bin ...

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Services business tries to get people to spend more money on their services shocker.

Businesses of all kinds use such tricks to encourage people to spend more, it is up to people to see through it.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Seems a great offer to me, what's wrong with it? We get offers like that and just stock up on things we will use eventually like toilet roll and cat food.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would spend close to £100 on my weekly shop and then another 10-15 on top up items throughout the week so it would be a good offer for me. Maybe they should refine who they send that kind of offer to.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £120/week? :o I spend less than half of that, usually a weekly shop at Tesco Online comes in at about £55, and I buy bits and pieces I forget from other places throughout the week.

I do like Tesco for their clubcard and fuel saver thing, also the vouchers tailored to what you buy - but I think I'd do the same as you with this offer in this instance!
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    I would spend close to £100 on my weekly shop and then another 10-15 on top up items throughout the week so it would be a good offer for me. Maybe they should refine who they send that kind of offer to.

I assumed they would send people like you a "spend £200 get £60 off" deal instead :)

I appreciate shops want people to spend more, but there is a limit. I get the impression many would like a bit more honesty rather than these flashy voucher deals and "buy two get one free" offers.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £70? Depends on the size of your family. So a shop gives you a good offer which you may or may not wish to take up and you want to rant about it:o:confused:
    I'm sure they'll be sooooooooo upset if you went elsewhere.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    I assumed they would send people like you a "spend £200 get £60 off" deal instead :)

I appreciate shops want people to spend more, but there is a limit. I get the impression many would like a bit more honesty rather than these flashy voucher deals and "buy two get one free" offers.

I spend between £90 and £100 each week at Tesco and I get the £120 offers as well, doubt they go any higher than that. It's not that unrealistic an amount if you can afford it obviously.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have remained a loyal customer for several years. We spend about £70 with them every week, which I think is higher than average for a weekly shop.

However, they have now managed to p*£$ me off too. They sent an email today saying if I spend over £120 (!!!) with them three weeks in a row, they will send me a £40 voucher (as long as I spend another £120 on the fourth week).

It seems to me this is a desperate greedy measure to encourage regular customers to have a big blow-out and increase their monthly profits. I for one threw their "fantastic" offer in the bin ...

It's not a bad offer if your spending a fair bit each wek..

£70 is not a lot .. Sorry op
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every little helps.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I keep getting vouchers like that but I need to spend £40. I just throw them out as I don't do my weekly shop there any more (and I didn't spend that much when I did) . It's never bothered me.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sainsbury's do the same although not with such a high weekly amount. Spend £20 4 times in a month for 1000 points (I think it was). Yet on the fourth spend the points never materialised.

You have to spend another £20 :confused: and then faff about at the customer service till to get the points put on.

Not what is stated on the voucher at all. I wonder how many don't bother to follow it up.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not convinced it's greedy. I think that in order to be greedy then the company has to be leading the field in turnover and profits. Tesco, as we all know, has some pretty severe financial difficulties. So it's not like they have their fare share and still want more.

I think what you have there is an example of a very clumsy marketing effort by a desperate company. Given the depth of customer knowledge on tap from the Club Card sales data it would have been possible for Tesco to do something on a more tailored basis that would have been better suited to your needs. For example, encouraging you to buy alternative brands or to try new products that are in some way related to your existing purchasing profile. Right now though I doubt there's much creative thought being given to smart marketing initiatives. They're too busy trying to bail out the boat.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Waitrose do the same, although they only expect you to spend £60 in four go's in a month and they give you money off vouchers.

Sainsbury's do the same although not with such a high weekly amount. Spend £20 4 times in a month for 1000 points (I think it was). Yet on the fourth spend the points never materialise.

You have to spend another £20 :confused: and then faff about at the customer service till to get the points put on.

Not what is stated on the voucher at all. I wonder how many don't bother to follow it up.

I had one for £60 4 times in a month, and we got 5000 points and got given a voucher that we had to scan next time we were in and they were added.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a great offer to me, what's wrong with it? We get offers like that and just stock up on things we will use eventually like toilet roll and cat food.

My wife does the same, she looks at it this way, her weekly shop in Tesco fluctuates between £95 and £110.
    Quite often though, it will exceed £120, last week it was £175, but she did buy me a couple of bottles of vodka, which I gave her the money for when we got home.
    If it exceeds £120 the following week, she'll remember it, but if the week after that it looks like it's going to be around £100, (and she doesn't walk around the store with a calculator), she'll just forget the offer, she won't buy extra to qualify for the £40 offer.
    I told her about this thread, and said that the OP spends around £70 per week in Tesco, and feels that it may be higher than average.
    She said that the OP must either live alone, or be a wizard, if she can get by on £70 per week in Tesco.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Did you print out the email especially so that you could throw it in the bin?
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with greed - its just straight forward marketing .Getting wound up over nothing OP - supermarkets are forever doing promos .Don't like then don't do - simple:)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Waitrose do the same, although they only expect you to spend £60 in four go's in a month and they give you money off vouchers.

I had one for £60 4 times in a month, and we got 5000 points and got given a voucher that we had to scan next time we were in and they were added.

That is exactly what the lady at the customers services till told me should have happened. Yet it didn't happen for me. A combination of using different stores and self service tills apparently (though it didn't say not to do this on the voucher) I probably ballsed it up along the way too. :blush:
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    Did you print out the email especially so that you could throw it in the bin?

yes I did, I was that outraged.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people spend on average on a weekly shop? My OH and I spend about £120. That is just for the two of us. Not being facetious, is that a lot?
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I keep getting vouchers like that but I need to spend £40. I just throw them out as I don't do my weekly shop there any more (and I didn't spend that much when I did) . It's never bothered me.

I used to get a mix of £3 or £4 of a £30 shop. Suited me perfectly. Now, on the rare times I get the money off vouchers, it's £5 off £40. I don't spend £40 a week on food!

They've also stopped giving decent coupons too. It's always on things that have been bought once and well over a year ago, not on the items I buy regularly.
    What do people spend on average on a weekly shop? My OH and I spend about £120. That is just for the two of us. Not being facetious, is that a lot?

Two adults in this house, between £25 and £35 a week. Mostly around £30.

I wouldn't have a clue how to spend £120 a week on the weekly shop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

What are you eating? Fortnum and Mason truffles washed down with Bollinger?

Mine is about that and there is five of us, plus two dogs and a cat.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    They've also stopped giving decent coupons too. It's always on things that have been bought once and well over a year ago, not on the items I buy regularly.

Now that you mention it I've been getting bad coupons like that too. I only go to Tesco for stuff I can't get at Aldi now so coupons like that are more than useless. They've just opened up a big Morrisons on my way home from work so I'm even less likely to use Tesco now.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes I did, I was that outraged.

You should try Morrisons, the match and more card is very good
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I only spent £70 on a shop on Saturday I'd be shopping again by Tuesday.

Seems like a good deal to me.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Oh. My. God.

A business trying to get people to give them money?

The bastards.