Options

Top Of The Pops 1977 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, seems I'm gonna be the only one not giving "Mull Of Kintyre" a hard time!! :o:D

I also won't be giving 'Mull Of Kintyre' a hard time :D

Granted at the time i hated the song but over the years i have grown to really like it!
    It comes to something when I preferred the number 2 at Christmas 1977, The Floral Dance!
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I think we're all trying to forget 'Mull Of Kintyre'!

'Mull of Kintyre' was AP-PAUL-LING

(Sorry - I couldn't resist ;)!!)
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member

Don't give up the day job faversham!! :D;)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved Mull Of Kintyre then, and I love it now. I don't care what anybody says.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really, you should have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I loved Mull Of Kintyre then, and I love it now. I don't care what anybody says.

It's a secret pleasure of mine too

I like the dance version of it too;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    First and only song I learn't to play on the guitar!

It wasn't that bad, best selling song of the 70's, thats quite something...

...and I think it was the first single to sell 2 million copies in the UK. :)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and I think it was the first single to sell 2 million copies in the UK. :)

It was the biggest selling single of all time in the UK at the time and remained that way for a further 7 years. My own parents bought it, and it still resides with all the other vinyl. I wonder why it is not heard more of nowadays?
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    It was the biggest selling single of all time in the UK at the time and remained that way for a further 7 years. My own parents bought it, and it still resides with all the other vinyl. I wonder why it is not heard more of nowadays?
    I think it's one of those songs that is viewed as being "naff". That's probably why it never gets played these days.

For all I insult the song I did actually own it! The B side 'Girls School' is the better side... it was the side that made the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in the US.
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Misty08 wrote: »
    Really, you should have.
    Don't give up the day job faversham!! :D;)

I suspect the late Richard Whiteley would have been proud of that pun :p;)
  • Options
    eurofandaveeurofandave Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I have also put a message of support to continue these TOTP re-runs on the BBC message board.I really do hope they listen to us.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Richman, Thin Lizzy and Donna get my votes this week.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was never a fan of punk/new wave, but the Eddie And The Hot Rods song was a classic, I remembered it from 1977. Mind you it has got a great tune which helps. Good to see Thin Lizzy, didn`t the guy from Supertramp play the sax on that song? Phil was a real rock character.Used to hang out with another Irish legend, George Best. I do not like Bob Geldof and one of the reasons is he done the dirt on Thin Lizzy at Live Aid.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You usually see it around Christmas on the satellite music channels. As well as the Pipes of Peace and Wonderful Cristmas Time. Mull of Kintyre is a great song but I think it has a chorus too many!
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOTP 77 has been the televisual 'find' of the year for me so I thought I'd post some of my own personal 'awards' having watched the programme since the start of the year. Here goes...

Best No. 1 : I feel love
    Best D.J : Kid Jensen
    Best Legs & Co : Disco Inferno
    Worst Legs & Co : Roadrunner
    Worst Vocal performance : Simon May
    Worst performance of a great song : Lido Shuffle /The Crunch
    Best song that passed me by in 1977 : Do what you wanna do - T-Connection ( how did this happen !!!?)
    Worst No 1 : When I need you ( though next week that will change )
    Best performance : Show you the way to go ( when at No.1)
    Best punk song : Pretty Vacant
    Best ballad : We're all alone
    'Why did I buy that' award ? : Rockbottom
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    To come this series are chart toppers from

The Floaters

Fnaar.
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I think we're all trying to forget 'Mull Of Kintyre'!

Ah yes, a stern warning of the dangers of vegetarianism.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slade, associated with Christmas, but......

I've just heard one of their old hits for the first time ever in my life and played it 5 consecutive times in the past hour. I heard it when listening to a Top 20 I'd downloaded from Azanorak from Sunday,9th March,1975. It was the track that broke their long run of top ten hits, and I cannot believe how good it is and how it made a lowly No15.
    I'm talking about How Does It Feel. I'm loving this track. How I've never heard it is a mystery.

If you've never seen Slade In Flame - which opens with How Does It Feel - I'd strongly recommend it. While its story isn't that surprising or original in itself, it's quite well told, and the group put in some decent performances. However, it's tonally a million miles away from the 'good time' glam image the group acquired and - as far as Dave Hill goes - was responsible for the group's fading fortunes ... so interesting to look back at it now. It's on DVD ... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I was never a fan of punk/new wave, but the Eddie And The Hot Rods song was a classic, I remembered it from 1977. Mind you it has got a great tune which helps. Good to see Thin Lizzy, didn`t the guy from Supertramp play the sax on that song? Phil was a real rock character.Used to hang out with another Irish legend, George Best. I do not like Bob Geldof and one of the reasons is he done the dirt on Thin Lizzy at Live Aid.

Could you explain what you mean by "done the dirt"? I do know that Phil Lynott had infact just had his highest charting hit of his career with Gary Moore a couple of months prior to Live Aid, with Out In The Fields, so was very much in the public consciousness at the time, and they were still using his music as the TOTP theme, but just six months after Live Aid he was himself dead.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Fnaar.

Ah yes, a stern warning of the dangers of vegetarianism.

The McCartneys weren`t vegetarians in 1977.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    If you've never seen Slade In Flame - which opens with How Does It Feel - I'd strongly recommend it. While its story isn't that surprising or original in itself, it's quite well told, and the group put in some decent performances. However, it's tonally a million miles away from the 'good time' glam image the group acquired and - as far as Dave Hill goes - was responsible for the group's fading fortunes ... so interesting to look back at it now. It's on DVD ... ;)

For a group that mastered the technique of getting the debut week No1 hit on three occasions, and many other instant top five entries, in an era when songs simply never much entered the charts high up, it is rather curious to me how all of a sudden in early 1975 all that just ended abruptly, despite the quality of a song like How Does It Feel which should have maintained the run. I'd love to know what the reason was. It's not as if it is a bad record, it's a great record. So what so suddenly changed for them? Only 5 months earlier they had debuted into the top three yet again with the less impressive Far Far Away. This must have come as an almighty shock to them at the time, and when they got to 1977 and couldn't even break the Top 40 anymore that would have finished most groups off for good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For a group that mastered the technique of getting the debut week No1 hit on three occasions, and many other instant top five entries, in an era when songs simply never much entered the charts high up, it is rather curious to me how all of a sudden in early 1975 all that just ended abruptly, despite the quality of a song like How Does It Feel which should have maintained the run. I'd love to know what the reason was. It's not as if it is a bad record, it's a great record. So what so suddenly changed for them? Only 5 months earlier they had debuted into the top three yet again with the less impressive Far Far Away. This must have come as an almighty shock to them at the time, and when they got to 1977 and couldn't even break the Top 40 anymore that would have finished most groups off for good.

Hi Rich.
    It was a shame when this happened to Slade in this period. Not sure of the reasons. Could be that when an act has so much chart success in a relatively short period of time the fall can occur just as quickly.

I remember Abba's astonishingly speedy demise (chart wise) in 1982. Of course, they'd been having hits for 8 years at that point.

Were people tiring of Slade by 1975? "In For A Penny" was another great single from that period which just missed the Top 10.

I know that Slade spent the best part of a year touring the States (I think in 1976). When they returned in 1977 with their comeback material, they were coming back to a chart which had significantly moved on from glam rock.
    "Gypsy Road Hog" was quickly banned by the BBC which didn't really help their cause. (Of course, we were fortunate enough to have the TOTP's appearance in '77 before the Beeb noticed the drug referenced lyrics! :D)

The album "Whatever Happened To Slade" did nothing whatsoever chart wise. I recently bought it and it's a fantastic Slade album. A million miles away from their glammy sound of the earlier 70's and into more serious rock.

Well, I haven't really answered the question regarding Slade's chart demise in '75! But, like I mentioned in another post, "How Does It Feel?" is one of my fave Slade tracks. I remember Noel Gallagher giving it a lot of praise a while back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Highlander!

Comparing Abba and Slade is quite a good one Ian. They hadn't missed the top ten in years, had the Christmas No3 with One Of Us in 1981, not to mention the Christmas No1 album with The Visitors, yet in the new year released the great Head Over Heels which stalled badly and later in the year, a record that was recently voted their 3rd best single on ITV came to miss the entire top thirty, The Day Before You Came, a surefire enormous hit if ever there should have been. There seems no clear cut reason for it. But of course Slade managed a successful return to almost the top in the 80's, and Abba, although not with singles, have had massive No1 success with albums as recently as August 2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Highlander!

Comparing Abba and Slade is quite a good one Ian. They hadn't missed the top ten in years, had the Christmas No3 with One Of Us in 1981, not to mention the Christmas No1 album with The Visitors, yet in the new year released the great Head Over Heels which stalled badly and later in the year, a record that was recently voted their 3rd best single on ITV came to miss the entire top thirty, The Day Before You Came, a surefire enormous hit if ever there should have been. There seems no clear cut reason for it. But of course Slade managed a successful return to almost the top in the 80's, and Abba, although not with singles, have had massive No1 success with albums as recently as August 2008.

I remember being shocked at how quickly Abba's chart success dropped. I loved "Head Over Heels" and "Day Before You Came" was excellent. "Under Attack" was also good and a sad song to go out on.

I was reading the sleeve notes on the CD of "The Visitors" and it was talking about how the energy and motivation was running low in the band in 1982 with Benny and Bjorn keen to move on to work on musicals.

It interestingly suggests that Benny and Bjorn looked to the UK chart to gauge how well the band were doing. I wonder if this was a reason why Abba almost disappeared overnight.
    Did they see the sudden low chart placings and decide to call it quits while ahead?

That's me off here for now.
    Goodnight (and as the Kid would say..."and Good Love"). :D
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true what you say about Abba, even the previously unreleased Thank You For The Music couldnt make the Top 30 in 1983.

I guess the same could be said of The Police, after only the 2nd single from Synchronicity, they never dented the top 10 again. And amazingly Sting has only made the top 10 just once as a solo artist, excluding collaborations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Very true what you say about Abba, even the previously unreleased Thank You For The Music couldnt make the Top 30 in 1983.

I guess the same could be said of The Police, after only the 2nd single from Synchronicity, they never dented the top 10 again. And amazingly Sting has only made the top 10 just once as a solo artist, excluding collaborations.

Am I the only person who thinks that much of what The Police did was great stuff, yet almost everything that Sting has done as a solo artist is absolute cr*p!