Lovefilm Instant problem

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Interesting.

I wasn't able to play it until I found the solution.

At least you will have options should you decide to return to them in the future.
  • peterdl63peterdl63 Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem on two laptops, both running Win XP SP3. I could play trailers on Lovefilm, but not the movie. I re installed Silverlight (file version 5.1.104) - did not fix the problem. I then deleted Silverlight and the Playready folder (Docs and Settings\all users\application data\microsoft). I downloaded an older version of Silverlight from FileHippo, version 5.061118 and installed that version. It fixed the prolem on both laptops. To stop Silverlight automatically updating I selected to 'Never update'. To do this go to Lovefilm and in the film window right click - Silverlight comes up. Right click on Silverlight and select the Updates tag. It will also be necessary to go to the Windows Update site and stop it from updating Silverlight.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peterdl63 wrote: »
    I had the same problem on two laptops, both running Win XP SP3. I could play trailers on Lovefilm, but not the movie. I re installed Silverlight (file version 5.1.104) - did not fix the problem. I then deleted Silverlight and the Playready folder (Docs and Settings\all users\application data\microsoft). I downloaded an older version of Silverlight from FileHippo, version 5.061118 and installed that version. It fixed the problem on both laptops. To stop Silverlight automatically updating I selected to 'Never update'. To do this go to Lovefilm and in the film window right click - Silverlight comes up. Right click on Silverlight and select the Updates tag. It will also be necessary to go to the Windows Update site and stop it from updating Silverlight.
    That's interesting, because one of the things that Lovefilm Support says is that one should set Silverlight to install updates automatically. Maybe someone else might want to try your method if they're having problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    peterdl63 wrote: »
    I had the same problem on two laptops, both running Win XP SP3. I could play trailers on Lovefilm, but not the movie. I re installed Silverlight (file version 5.1.104) - did not fix the problem. I then deleted Silverlight and the Playready folder (Docs and Settings\all users\application data\microsoft). I downloaded an older version of Silverlight from FileHippo, version 5.061118 and installed that version. It fixed the prolem on both laptops. To stop Silverlight automatically updating I selected to 'Never update'. To do this go to Lovefilm and in the film window right click - Silverlight comes up. Right click on Silverlight and select the Updates tag. It will also be necessary to go to the Windows Update site and stop it from updating Silverlight.

Thanks for that info. IT WORKS! Been trying for weeks, following all their advice, shutting down firewall, using different browsers, uninstalling silverlight and reinstalling, over and over and every other thing I could think of.

Your method works. Thanks very much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    absolute pot on, had all the issues reported previously, and just followed the steps above-deleted playfolder,uninstall up to date version of silverlight and installed the older version and job is a gud un -so to speak:) cheers for the info dude :):):):cool::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Just found a wee hiccup with that solution.

I'm getting rid of silverlight, restarting pc, getting old version and I'm able to watch movies again on Lovefilm. But, even though I'm switching off the update thingy on silverlight, when I look at Lovefilm next day I find it's updated itself anyway, and all movies are unavailable all over again.
    So, I've had to repeat the "uninstall/reinstall older version" for three days on the trot. Anyone have a clue how to stop this?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Do you have Windows Update set to auto-install? Stopping it doing that then hide the Silverlight update when it is offered.
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have signed up to Lovefilm and I'm getting the Same problems so can not watch anything from lovefilm on my pc.

I have XP so does anyone have any ideas on what to do?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it appears that instant is actually down ..
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it appears that instant is actually down ..

Working all ok for me.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »
    Working all ok for me.

it is now, but it was down for a short while - tried on my blu-ray player and online and nothing was working. watching a good film for once as well :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi all i had the same problem as all listed here, well with Google Chrome i did.I did the re install of silverlight etc no joy, On windows explorer however i found that it worked fine! Anyway after trawling the internet i found that (to cut a long story short)If you right click on either the chrome or Internet Explorer desktop shortcut (not system tray icon) and run your browser as administrator it worked for me running win 7 hope this helps someone else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I think it has trouble creating the DRM files first time, so needs Admin premission. This helped and it seem to work fine now:

http://alex.leonard.ie/2012/07/15/solution-to-silverlight-drm-error-on-lovefilm-or-netflix/
    Forum Member
    I got rid of lovefilm but joined again today for a two months freebie. Then I found I had that problem again (same as above) black screen, installing and uninstalling silverlight and all that palaver.

Then I remembered it was solved on here by using peterdl6's great solution and stopping windows updates for a while so I wouldn't have to do it every day.

Now I've just tried Hawkeye's method and that works too.

This is the home of geniuses.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm having trouble with my Dell XPS420 on Lovefilm playback; no matter which browser I pick, the movie will stutter (both audio and video) approximately every three seconds.

The PC is running Windows 7, has an ATI Radeon 2600XT video card, and 4Gb RAM and is in generally good health; it is connected to the network via an ethernet cable, and that it connected to VM superhub on 120Mb connection (Speedtest gives anything between 75 & 95Mb tonight, so plenty for Lovefilm)

I have tried un-installing and re-installing Silverlight, running a defrag, running CCleaner running a virus scan, disabling Super-AntiSpyware temporarily - - all to no avail.

My laptop will play the same film over the same network without any issue (Windows 7 Sony VAIO 6Gb RAM)

I had a look at some of the earlier posts in this thread, but cannot find the files that are being talked about (cannot find a Playready folder for example), so have stalled until I can get further advice please?
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been trying to resolve this for most of the day today - and still getting nowhere fast. I eventually found the Playready folder and deleted it, and uninstalled silverlight. I then rebooted and did a drive wipe just to be sure, rebooting again before installing silverlight afresh.

Full screen HD playback on Lovefilm still stutters, SD are fine.

Can anyone direct me to any other sites that I can try some HD content using silverlight to eliminate my PC?