Ian Watkins jailed for 35 years (merged)

Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
Forum Member
✭✭
Surprised not to see a thread on this in GD given the case is now closed and sentence passed.

Watkins received 29 years plus an extended licence of six years. Good to see the two mothers involved also got 14 and 17 years respectively though why are they still only known as "woman A" and "woman B"? They should have been identified.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/ian-watkins-sentenced-29-years-6422696

[highlight]Admin notice:[/highlight] Users are reminded that people should not be named.

Comments

• benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Surprised not to see a thread on this in GD given the case is now closed and sentence passed.

Watkins received 29 years plus an extended licence of six years. Good to see the two mothers also got 14 and 17 years respectively though why are they still only known as "woman A" and "woman B"? They should have been identified.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/ian-watkins-sentenced-29-years-6422696

4 already deleted. Not sure why as I did not see anything outrageous posted.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were about 3 threads earlier that were all closed for whatever reason. I suspect someone overstepped the mark and named names or linked to something that did.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see anything wrong with the thread I read which was deleted, but eventually someone would probably mention names. Why can't they just delete those posts instead of shutting down a whole thread?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see anything wrong with the thread I read which was deleted, but eventually someone would probably mention names. Why can't they just delete those posts instead of shutting down a whole thread?

I think it becomes easier to pull threads rather than trawl through for individual posts. considering the number of threads that are created here on an hourly basis, it probably pulls the mods away from other work and causes problems in that respect.

One of the threads did link to a download of a copy of the judge's sentencing remarks so I suspect that's maybe why that was pulled.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member

Watkins received 29 years plus an extended licence of six years. Good to see the two mothers involved also got 14 and 17 years respectively though why are they still only known as "woman A" and "woman B"? They should have been identified.

Identifying the mothers would identify the kids who have a legal right to anonymity. That's why Woman A and Woman B.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding it very difficult to find out what he actually did. The reports mainly mention the attempted rape (which in itself doesn't explain much... what he trying, and then stopped, or is this all based on the Facebook conversations ie soliciting?)

The sentence suggests something truly horrific, yet all is reported is the conversations (which aren't illegal). Are the crimes so unpleasant they're not actually being reported?
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This news is too big for DS, that's why it's been deleted.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which would in turn identify their children. :(
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    I'm finding it very difficult to find out what he actually did. The reports mainly mention the attempted rape (which in itself doesn't explain much... what he trying, and then stopped, or is this all based on the Facebook conversations ie soliciting?)

The sentence suggests something truly horrific, yet all is reported is the conversations (which aren't illegal). Are the crimes so unpleasant they're not actually being reported?
    I think so from how the BBC reported it on the radio. Personally attempted rape is as much as I need to know. I don't need the gory details.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Identifying the mothers would identify the kids who have a legal right to anonymity. That's why Woman A and Woman B.

I followed the main thread and there was no mention of the mothers names. I wondered if it was because they are still following lines of enquiry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm afraid that attempted rape of a baby suggests incomplete penetration due to physical impossibility rather than him being interrupted.

BIG sentence for a non-homicide. I don't think the judge was struck by his drugs defence.

I do feel sorry for his mother. I honestly believe it would have been less painful for her if he had died an honorable death.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    4 already deleted. Not sure why as I did not see anything outrageous posted.
    I think it becomes easier to pull threads rather than trawl through for individual posts. considering the number of threads that are created here on an hourly basis, it probably pulls the mods away from other work and causes problems in that respect.

One of the threads did link to a download of a copy of the judge's sentencing remarks so I suspect that's maybe why that was pulled.
    If this is the case then it would prove more useful and constructive if DS mods explained the reasons for blocking discussion of a case which is no longer subject to any form of legalities and now in the public domain.
    Forum Member
    I followed the main thread and there was no mention of the mothers names. I wondered if it was because they are still following lines of enquiry.

They may be but that won't be why the women are unidentified. It's about anonymity of the victims.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The judges findings are online and available. Not for the feint hearted tho.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read the sentencing report from the judge about the case and, to be honest, you really don't want to know. It explains the charges in rather graphic detail and "horrifying" doesn't really cover the half of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may be but that won't be why the women are unidentified. It's about anonymity of the victims.

I completely understand that. I'm saying that they were not identified in the main thread so unsure why it was pulled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the sentencing report from the judge about the case and, to be honest, you really don't want to know. It explains the charges in rather graphic detail and "horrifying" doesn't really cover the half of it.

That is probably why it was pulled then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is probably why it was pulled then.

So is DS censoring their site ?
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The judges findings are online and available. Not for the feint hearted tho.

Oh god, I'm going in.

This better not be like the Ken Bigley decapitation video. That messed me up for weeks.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see the two mothers involved also got 14 and 17 years respectively though why are they still only known as "woman A" and "woman B"? They should have been identified.
    francie wrote: »
    Which would in turn identify their children. :(
    Some men convicted of sexual offences also have children so i don't see that as a valid excuse.

These two women involved should now be named. They have been found guilty as charged and sentenced passed.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I completely understand that. I'm saying that they were not identified in the main thread so unsure why it was pulled.

To avoid any possible risk of them being named I would imagine. You can get 2 years in prison for contempt of court for naming them.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like a deserved sentence for this individual.

Like you I cannot see why the women have not been identified. If there is a reason for this, it's obscure to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, I'm going in.

This better not be like the Ken Bigley decapitation video. That messed me up for weeks.

It's grim. But most of it has been on the news. Just so explicit, and the depraved mindset is more shocking than I could ever have imagined.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    If there is a reason for this, it's obscure to me.

It's been mentioned many, many times - to protect the identity of the children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Sounds like a deserved sentence for this individual.

Like you I cannot see why the women have not been identified. If there is a reason for this, it's obscure to me.

I think it's to protect the children. Hopefully, they'll get adopted and placed in good homes and have their names changed, anyhow.
This discussion has been closed.