Options

Speeding - wales

2»

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Doctorb wrote: »
    There was an 'accident' near me a few years ago on a country road NSL. Car tried to overtake on a straight but crashed head on into a car coming in the opposite direction. Its a 50mph limit now. I wonder how many accidents are caused by illegal overtaking, which is hardly an accident because there is blame.

Have they changed the limit since the accident? I wonder how they think that will help.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an 'accident' near me a few years ago on a country road NSL. Car tried to overtake on a straight but crashed head on into a car coming in the opposite direction. Its a 50mph limit now. I wonder how many accidents are caused by illegal overtaking, which is hardly an accident because there is blame.

Was it an illegal overtake or just a badly judged/timed one?
  • Options
    Night CrawlerNight Crawler Posts: 1,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the other 90% of accidents caused by?

The main contributor is driver error where no excessive speed is involved, followed by driving whilst under the influence of drink/drugs.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I quickly glanced at this thread and for a minute, I thought it was about speeding whales......!!
    :o:D
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they changed the limit since the accident? I wonder how they think that will help.

It had been lowered to 50mph since the accident. I can only assume the lower speed may stop people illegally overtaking. I doubt that would stop many drivers/vehicles anyway but would be a stiffer penalty if it can be proved they exceeded the limit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Was it an illegal overtake or just a badly judged/timed one?

Both. It was a frustrated overtake of a couple of cars and was badly timed as a car came around the corner at the last second. The driver was going way over the limit and it would of been impossible to complete the manoeuvre at a lower speed. The person in question got a shed load of points and 6 months in hospital, the other driver had minor injuries. Drives more sensibly now!
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    It had been lowered to 50mph since the accident. I can only assume the lower speed may stop people illegally overtaking. I doubt that would stop many drivers/vehicles anyway but would be a stiffer penalty if it can be proved they exceeded the limit.

Surely the lower limit is more likely to make people overtake? Or am i missing something?
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the lower limit is more likely to make people overtake? Or am i missing something?

It will certainly increase the frustration. I believe one of the reasons they increased the speed limits for HGVs on single carriageway from 40mph to 50mph was down to concerns re hazardous overtakes.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    And you have the crazy situation where some A roads are 30mph, but a twisting, high hedged country road with no visibility is NSL (60mph), go figure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If its too low I suppose you would get more people likely to overtake illegally. Those who stick to the highway code won't overtake.