Doctor Who Figurine Collection

The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Didn't see a thread so I though maybe you lot hadn't heard.

We get one of those magazines with free figurines now.

I got the first one today, £3 for the mag with an 11 figure, from when he's talking on the walkie talkie in The Pandorica Opens.
Looks good enough but I'm not sure I'm going to keep buying it now that every issue after this one is £6.

Any of you lot going to collect it?

Comments

• human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I subscribed first thing this morning. I've been wondering for years why no one's ever released these before.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I subscribed first thing this morning. I've been wondering for years why no one's ever released these before.

Regular subscription or premium?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble with these collections is that if they prove popular the company just keeps releasing more and more figures.

They say they plan on releasing 80 figures but the same was true for the Lord of the Rings Collection they did a few years ago they gave an intial number of (I think) 80 but in the end released over 160 figures.

I ended up stopping after about 70 figures but still had spent over £500 on the collection (once the Display stands and magazine binders (you had to buy if subscribed) were added on.)

Saying that I was tempted to collect these but the fact they are on sale here for 11 Euro compared to £7 in the UK has put me off.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Very few classic series characters in the ad other than Omega and old style Daleks, but that's understandable.

Would subscribe, but just don't know where I would put them. :D
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Very few classic series characters in the ad other than Omega and old style Daleks, but that's understandable.

Well with 80 figures to release I'm sure there will be a few classic series Monsters making an appearance.

I wonder if any companions will be released?

When this was first announced last year the number given IIRC was 50 figures but that was only going to be Doctors and Monsters. With an extra 30 figures planned I wouldn't be surprised to get the NuWho companions as well as some of the more well known Classic series ones.
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason I can see these characters being released:

Vincent Van Goph with Paintbrush
    Tritovore
    Jabe
    Cassandra
    Sarah Jane Smith
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw an advert the other day for the Dr Who figures and Star Trek ships.
    I find they add up to poor value and I have no space.

If I was going to collect figures I would do it at my own pace and just the ones available from forbidden Planet and other similar shops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    The trouble with these collections is that if they prove popular the company just keeps releasing more and more figures.

They say they plan on releasing 80 figures but the same was true for the Lord of the Rings Collection they did a few years ago they gave an intial number of (I think) 80 but in the end released over 160 figures.

I ended up stopping after about 70 figures but still had spent over £500 on the collection (once the Display stands and magazine binders (you had to buy if subscribed) were added on.)

Saying that I was tempted to collect these but the fact they are on sale here for 11 Euro compared to £7 in the UK has put me off.

I wish it would come out weekly instead of every 2 weeks.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

This, years ago I got the first few issues of The Star Trek Fact Files, it ended up expanding into over 300 issues.
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the series does expand. 80 figures would be nice, but 180 would be better! (Don't forget the cost is spread out over time - it may end up costing you a lot, but you'll hardly notice it disappear from your wallet)
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I`ve had my subscription confirmed today. The last one I got was the James Bond Aston Martin. The customer service was really poor until Eaglemoss toook over the publication. They also added an extra issue which gave you a canvas cover for the car.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why there is an emphasis on Omega?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well according to the website the collection is going to include all 11 Doctors so thats pretty much got me sold on it.

Imagine if we also got all incarnations of the master alough if you ask me I would love to get every companion too.
  • YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw these advertised and posted elsewhere.....tempting! :D....they keep luring me back with these figurines....only just finished with the marvel/DC figurine collection....
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Is this the eaglemoss collection? if so , would never subscribe to it to be sent via the post, as I did with the Marvel fact file ,we never did get our free gifts and they missed a load of numbers,I cancelled eventually as the service was so rubbish.
  • Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I subscribed a couple of days ago. Premium subscription :-D
    Can't wait for it to arrive now!!

Funny I've known about it for months but only just seen the advert yesterday thought I suppose it was only released yesterday lol :-S

I hope they include all companions too :)
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problem though, and this is a big one, is that when you zoom in and have a close look at the figures, they're actually quite poor.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Tribute wrote: »
    The only problem though, and this is a big one, is that when you zoom in and have a close look at the figures, they're actually quite poor.

Agree the casting looks pretty basic. Why the strange pose for Matts Doctor ? Hardly an iconic image. As a previos poster has already said, the problem with these sort of publications is that if sales are good, they jusy keep increasing the number of issues. A few years ago they did a similar thing for a model of the Titanic. I worked out that to actually build the basic ship would cost over £600 and it did.nt even look that good. There is a similar issue just been released for Star Trek ships.They look like good models ( I have to say they look better than the Dr Who ones ) but again the overall cost will be enormous.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Agree the casting looks pretty basic. Why the strange pose for Matts Doctor ? Hardly an iconic image. As a previos poster has already said, the problem with these sort of publications is that if sales are good, they jusy keep increasing the number of issues. A few years ago they did a similar thing for a model of the Titanic. I worked out that to actually build the basic ship would cost over £600 and it did.nt even look that good. There is a similar issue just been released for Star Trek ships.They look like good models ( I have to say they look better than the Dr Who ones ) but again the overall cost will be enormous.

I'm going to collect the star trek ones, but I only want Enterprises, not interested in all the others so I'll just buy specific magazines!

I will probably only buy the Doctor figurines as they are released, and maybe a Tardis or Tardises! I don't see the point of collecting all the others because all I see is a mahoosive cash cow with an endless stream of characters to choose from. One character, considering the different versions available for production, could cost £50 (thinking of the Master) then if you think about the Brig should they choose to make him, you have his Colonel, Brigadier and retired/teacher versions.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the usual rip off these things are... they will release all sorts of extras like TARDIS display cases, which are never actually digger on the inside, an essential feature as they are bound to release extra figures that you haven't got space for...

Yeah, they can take a hike.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    The trouble with all these part-works is after the first couple of issues, nowhere "highstreet" stocks them. So to have a hope of collecting the stuff you want you have to commit to a subscription and accept that you'll also get the stuff you don't.

Well... unless you have a comic book store like Forbidden Planet near you - they always seem to stock the sci-fi/fantasy part-works.
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »

I will probably only buy the Doctor figurines as they are released, and maybe a Tardis or Tardises! I don't see the point of collecting all the others because all I see is a mahoosive cash cow with an endless stream of characters to choose from. .

Totally agree, the cost of the collection, whilst lovely is incredibly high. I'm currently collecting the Marvel fact files, and that's going to end up costing me 1K (I don't want to think about it)
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think these magazine collections are a total rip off even if its dw.
  • MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this in the shop yesterday and came so close to buying it.......but I decided not too, and since then its been playing on my mind, thinking, should I get it. I think I might go back and get it, I won't be able to afford all of them though, so I'd probably get the first ones announced and the 10th Doctor , plus Clara, Martha and Sarah Jane if they become figures
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I have been quite tempted by this, but having looked at a few earlier quite a lot of Matt Smith's hair is painted the same colour as his face. I'm just wondering if the quality is due to how many they have to produce for the first issue, and then it's better in later issues, or is this bad paintwork standard all the way through with these collections?