Homechoice or SkyDigital

Now Homechoice (http://www.homechoice.co.uk) has added Sky Sports & Movies to it's service. Homechoice now has an impressive range of features that really gives Sky and it's Sky Plus box some decent competition, all for a £1 installation.

• Sky Sports & Sky Movies
• 60 TV channels
• 1000 Movies on Demand with Fast Forward & Rewind controls
• 2500 Track Video Jukebox with FF/RW and Skip
• TV on Demand including BBC One & Channel 4 & Chelsea TV Replay Channels & Active Channels like C-One, Disney Treasures, Scamp, Fitness etc
• 512 kb/s to 2 mb/s broadband internet

Comments

• artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now Homechoice has added Sky Sports & Movies to it's service. Homechoice now has an impressive range of features that really gives Sky and it's Sky Plus box some decent competition, all for a £1 installation.

• Sky Sports & Sky Movies
    • 60 TV channels
    • 1000 Movies on Demand with Fast Forward & Rewind controls
    • 2500 Track Video Jukebox with FF/RW and Skip
    • TV on Demand including BBC One & Channel 4 & Chelsea TV Replay Channels & Active Channels like C-One, Disney Treasures, Scamp, Fitness etc
    • 512 kb/s to 2 mb/s broadband internet

So um...is that an advert then?
  • Ron JeremyRon Jeremy Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've had homechoice, and it's crap, thanks for the advert
  • cdon77cdon77 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    So how much is Sky Sports & Sky Movies on Homechoice? I can't see any pricing info on their website regarding Sky premium channels. Can't imagine it being cheaper than SkyDigital.
  • Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homechoice provides an attractive packet with the right technology going forward: true bi-directional, server-based, TCP/IP based broadcasting and VoD. That's all goodness.

It is true, however, that they have a long way to go. Presently, the image quality is improving but just not where it ought to be; I would rate the image quality at "freeview level".

More to the point, there are frequent drop-outs, causing temporary pixelation on TV broadcasts, sharp, load, sudden hissing on radio b'cast, and occasional, transient, service interruptions (a few per day) on the Internet service.

I believe they're on the right track but with quite some way to go.
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More to the point, there are frequent drop-outs, causing temporary pixelation on TV broadcasts, sharp, load, sudden hissing on radio b'cast, and occasional, transient, service interruptions (a few per day) on the Internet service.

I believe they're on the right track but with quite some way to go.

I've never experienced problems like that, though my local telephone exchange (Southwark) is a 5-10 minute walk from here. Initially the ridiculously short DHCP lease time caused problems with my wireless router, but since that's been increased, all is well. Picture quality is certainly improving too. I guess with HomeChoice a lot could be dependant on the quality of your telephone line, after all I'm sure they are pushing the data capacity of a phone line quite hard.
  • red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i would ring customer services. i have never had those problems.
    agree picuture quality is not quite there on some channels and VOD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    I had HomeChoice installed at the weekend - picture quality isn't quite as good as Telewest Broadband (imho) YET - but apparently they are moving over to MPEG4 in a few months which will help matters a LOT.

I've had no problems whatsoever so far (crosses fingers...) ;)

They have only just launched the Sky channels - pricing info is not yet on their website, although I intend to ask for details if it doesn't appear soon.

I'm loving the V:MX channels at the moment, having a video jukebox rocks :cool:

The only minor negative point so far is that the box feels slightly slow to react to actions on the remote, though it isn't THAT bad, and I'm sure will improve with upgrades etc in the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    The Sky Movies 1 package (five channels, Sky Movies 1-3-5-7-9) is £23/month. The Sky Sports package (four channels, Sky Sports 1-2-3-Xtra) is £24/month. Both packages together are £31.50/month. Although they plan to make additional Sky channels available in the future, these are the only packages currently available. This means that Sky Movies 2-4-6-8 and Sky Cinema 1-2 are not available, nor are any of the non-premium Sky channels (sorry, no Sky One).
  • SchoolboySchoolboy Posts: 2,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denuvo wrote:
    The Sky Movies 1 package (five channels, Sky Movies 1-3-5-7-9) is £23/month. The Sky Sports package (four channels, Sky Sports 1-2-3-Xtra) is £24/month. Both packages together are £31.50/month. Although they plan to make additional Sky channels available in the future, these are the only packages currently available. This means that Sky Movies 2-4-6-8 and Sky Cinema 1-2 are not available, nor are any of the non-premium Sky channels (sorry, no Sky One).
    Which makes it more expensive by some way than Telewest as far as Sky channels go.

Schooly
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is a nice service in its infancy. As they expand I'm sure increased revenue will allow them to improve. P.S> they have V.O.D> that is huge. I'm sure ADSL2 wil help. Sky do not want it grow into a real threat so I suspect that Sky Movies and Sky Sports will be prohibitively expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is step in the right direction
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if the interactive elements that sky provide to there subscribers will also available on homechoice?
    Forum Member
    HC doesn't yet support interactive (red-button) services on any of the channels, not even BBCi. So I wouldn't get your hopes up for Sky Sports Xtra interactive just yet ;)

A message pops up telling you that it's not yet available on most channels, so some sort of interactive feature must factor in their plans somewhere.

(mid you, telewest have been saying that about the 'digital text' button for about the last four years...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    oh well based on that and its a years contract means I will not be signing up to a service that still appears to be relatively new.

Will have to try and convince my landlord to let me stick a dish on the side of the flat!
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... interesting that you find find interactive services such an important factor. Certainly those we had on Telewest were nothing but a waste of time, slow and without even as much information as analogue Teletext. (With the notable exception of the occasional BBC sport extra steram).

I was under the impression that most channel providers (except the BBC) were in fact scaling back interactive features these days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    considering they give you the internet at high speed, how important is the iteractive to you. Also it is unlikely that Sky will give their best stuff which they pay millions of pounds for t.v. rights to HC because HC is best placed to become a serious threat to Sky with its national coverage. If they did let HC have it, they would charge large, impractical prices for it.