Options

Amy and Rory will return in series 7

haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It seems that Amy and Rory are going to be coming back in series 7. Is anyone else a bit disappointed to hear this?

Actually I really like both of them but it would be interesting to see Matt interacting with someone else, a new character. Does anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I think they're the best trio since the second Doctor, Jamie and Zoe so I'm delighted.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    It seems that Amy and Rory are going to be coming back in series 7. Is anyone else a bit disappointed to hear this?

Actually I really like both of them but it would be interesting to see Matt interacting with someone else, a new character. Does anyone else feel the same?

Well, you say that, but there are lots of rumours abound of perhaps a possible new companion for S7, with the Ponds not being full-timers next time round...

I really do like the TARDIS trio, though, and will be sad to see them go. For me, I think this is the set-up I'd like to see go on for a few more series' yet.

Having said that, it's not my favourite ever TARDIS team. That would be Ten and Donna. But I wouldn't have liked that to go on any further than it did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Should have left that news put of the thread title. Some people don't want to be spoiled for the end of S6 and onwards. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a) This still isn't public knowledge and really should be in a spoiler tag.

b) Not in the least. Aside from anything else there still feels like there's a huge amount of story to tell if Moffat wants to go that way. Matt, Karen and Arthur work beautifuly together and I never quite understood why the RTD era seemed to be in such a rush to get rid of companions. What's the point in setting up someone so that we get to know them over 13 episodes only to immediately move on?

c) SPOILER WARNING
    Moffat has also said there's a new companion next year. Now that could mean a lot of things but most likely either a) means a new addition to team TARDIS, b) means that Amy and Rory won't be full time companions or c) in my fanboy dreams it means River joins as a full blown companion and we get the most badass family in Who history for a full season. Whatever the truth of the matter I suspect we'll be in for a surprise in terms of how things develop next year and I for one can't wait
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Well, you say that, but there are lots of rumours abound of perhaps a possible new companion for S7, with the Ponds not being full-timers next time round....

Uh, that too really ought to be in spoiler tags at this point IMO...
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I've got mixed feelings about this. I love Amy and Rory and think they work really well with Matt's Doctor, it's one of my favourite ever Doctor/Companion combination. However, I do think that a new companion would bring something fresh and that if you keep the same companion(s) for too long then the show suffers.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member

The important word in sebbie's post was rumours. Facts need spoilers, rumours are just that - rumours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    About one of the above,
    Moffat didn't say there's a new companion at all for next series. What he said was a new "companion" does appear and then reappears. He said all of this with a strong dose of humour and someone else then said you see this new "companion" much sooner than you'd think. The BBC blog review says LKH has three companions. The "new companion" is just "Mels", Amy & Rory's childhood friend who hijacks the TARDIS at the start of LKH. Moffat is just winding fans up. It's not really a new companion in the same way Amy was at the start of S5. So everyone is getting speculative and worked up about very little. Just what Moffat wants, he's been determined to do this since those spoilers about TIA were revealed earlier in the year. he's being wicked.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Unsubstantiated rumours are not spoilers, no matter what your opinion.

Ergo, rumours don't need to be in spoilers tags!
  • Options
    temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinch of salt....
    Darvill, who plays Rory Williams, told SFX: "I will be coming back at some point [next series]. There is an involvement in some way." So may only be back for one episode. I also dont think Amy will work without Rory. As soon as he goes she does too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unsubstantiated rumours are not spoilers, no matter what your opinion.

Ergo, rumours don't need to be in spoilers tags!

Charming, there really was no need to be rude about that you know.

As for 'rumours' not needing to be in spoiler tags... why not? If they're wrong, fair enough, but if they're right (and many rumours have at least a grain of truth to them) then they become spoilers. At the very least give people the option to read them or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a) This still isn't public knowledge and really should be in a spoiler tag.

b) Not in the least. Aside from anything else there still feels like there's a huge amount of story to tell if Moffat wants to go that way. Matt, Karen and Arthur work beautifuly together and I never quite understood why the RTD era seemed to be in such a rush to get rid of companions. What's the point in setting up someone so that we get to know them over 13 episodes only to immediately move on?

c) SPOILER WARNING
    Moffat has also said there's a new companion next year. Now that could mean a lot of things but most likely either a) means a new addition to team TARDIS, b) means that Amy and Rory won't be full time companions or c) in my fanboy dreams it means River joins as a full blown companion and we get the most badass family in Who history for a full season. Whatever the truth of the matter I suspect we'll be in for a surprise in terms of how things develop next year and I for one can't wait

Hi S :)

As I said to you earlier on...
    I've got a feeling that River's going to be the full time companion. Whether she will be the AK incarnation or she'll initially start as Mels (bit odd that Amy and Rory's childhood friend is called Mels, isn't it... ;) ), I'm not sure.. but I do think we'll see another regeneration before S7... ;) )

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charming, there really was no need to be rude about that you know.

As for 'rumours' not needing to be in spoiler tags... why not? If they're wrong, fair enough, but if they're right (and many rumours have at least a grain of truth to them) then they become spoilers. At the very least give people the option to read them or not.

Not rude - just facts! Facts always win out against opinion.

As for the argument whether they should be spoiler tagged or not - the overwhelming majority of rumours on here turn out to be untrue. That's a pretty large amount that would be needlessly spoiler-tagged, and would be massively frustrating to keep having to un-spoiler to read.

Also, the point is kind of moot, as you've already pointed out the 'spoiler' in the thread title. Surely that's an indication of what's going to be going on inside. Anybody then being offended by 'spoilers' inside gets no sympathy from me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi S :)

As I said to you earlier on...
    I've got a feeling that River's going to be the full time companion. Whether she will be the AK incarnation or she'll initially start as Mels (bit odd that Amy and Rory's childhood friend is called Mels, isn't it... ;)), I'm not sure.. but I do think we'll see another regeneration before S7... ;) )

:D
    Not really. If Mels was a close firend, it's not at all strange that they might call their child by the same name.

Also, the actress playing Mels quite different to Alex Kingston...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the new companion will be
    this mysterious "Mels" everyone's talking about. She's said to be an ex-con friend of Amy & Rory.

I'm not going to spoiler the rest of this post, because it references things from years ago, but I'll leave it up to you whether you want to read on or not.

O.K., ready?
    Here we go.....

I think this because of SM's track record with using old unproduced scripts for reference, eg., 'The Beast Below' has a great deal of similarities with an unproduced 5th Doctor adventure called 'The Song of the Space Whale'

My theory is, I believe he's going to use a 7th Doctor episode that would have been called 'Crime of the Century'.
    It was from the unproduced season 27 & followed the departure of Ace.
    In it, The Doctor meets & takes on a female safe cracker / cat burglar as a companion.
    IIRC, she might also have had a crime-boss type Father character who would turn up occasionaly to give assistance when needed, but that's beside the point.
    I believe the female character from this story has been rejigged into / is the reference for Mels.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

Nope. I'm loving it, as the three of them (Arthur, Matt and Karen) really gel, and their sense of fun and above all commitment to the programme really shows. In addition to which, I feel that there is plenty more that the characters can offer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. If Mels was a close firend, it's not at all strange that they might call their child by the same name.

Also, the actress playing Mels quite different to Alex Kingston...

Hi Sebbie :)

Ah... but...
    ... wouldn't it be strange if Amy named Melody after their childhood friend, Mels, and it turned out that Mels was, indeed, Melody?

From reading all the latest details on S6(Pt 2), it seems Regen. Girl is most likely Melody. However, we don't know if she regenerates from childhood straight into adulthood or if she regenerates from child to child to adolescent first. We also know now that appearances, skin colour, gender can be affected by regens.

Moffat has also said he can't guarantee that there won't be another regeneration by Christmas. A regeneration doesn't have to be the Doctor's regeneration now, does it?

I'm reckoning that Mels is Melody and that we'll see Mels regenerate into Melody/River.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I wish the Doctor would dump Pond on a planet a few million miles from Earth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Sebbie :)

Ah... but...
    ... wouldn't it be strange if Amy named Melody after their childhood friend, Mels, and it turned out that Mels was, indeed, Melody?

From reading all the latest details on S6(Pt 2), it seems Regen. Girl is most likely Melody. However, we don't know if she regenerates from childhood straight into adulthood or if she regenerates from child to child to adolescent first. We also know now that appearances, skin colour, gender can be affected by regens.

Moffat has also said he can't guarantee that there won't be another regeneration by Christmas. A regeneration doesn't have to be the Doctor's regeneration now, does it?

I'm reckoning that Mels is Melody and that we'll see Mels regenerate into Melody/River.

:)

Certainly a possibility! And it would make it interesting...
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see River as the companion in Series 7, with Amy and Rory going home to raise their child at the end of Series 6, and making occasional appearances in Series 7.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see River as the companion in Series 7, with Amy and Rory going home to raise their child at the end of Series 6, and making occasional appearances in Series 7.:D

I agree with your feelings about Amy & Rory, but how can that happen?
    River's from the 51st Century.
    If, for example, her Human+ DNA makes her very long-lived, does that mean
    we're heading for an unhappy ending when she has to watch her parents die of old age while she doesn't age (like that scene in 'Highlander')?