Sleaford and North Hykeman Parliamentary by-election

Comments

• Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    I merely asked the question as to how you knew she was what you thought. For someone with the baggage you say she had, she did amazingly well in the GE when you consider Great Grimsby was looked upon as a barometer of how well UKIP were or weren't doing. She increased the previous vote by almost 19%

She did indeed. I think UKIP targetted that seat as they felt it was worth a shot what with Austin was quitting.

There really is no accounting for some people's tastes.

TBH I was quite bemused that she connived and lied her way into getting that many votes. I was disappointed (but not shocked) that Grimsby voted BREXIT particularly as the area has benefitted from EU funding.

I'm waiting to see (when we do eventually leave the EU) the docks return to the glory days of the past as Ms. Ayling promised.

And you really weren't merely asking - you were insinuating that I was lying. I don't lie.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories will win it. They could have put Jimmy Savile up as a candidate in North Lincolnshire and still have won.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    The Tories will win it. They could have put Jimmy Savile up as a candidate in North Lincolnshire and still have won.

Has Sleaford moved?
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    The party that's so keen on grammar schools might want to get someone who can spell the name of the constituency properly.
    Usual sloppy UKIP.

Perhaps it's the old English name for the constituency :D
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She did indeed. I think UKIP targetted that seat as they felt it was worth a shot what with Austin was quitting.

There really is no accounting for some people's tastes.

TBH I was quite bemused that she connived and lied her way into getting that many votes. I was disappointed (but not shocked) that Grimsby voted BREXIT particularly as the area has benefitted from EU funding.

I'm waiting to see (when we do eventually leave the EU) the docks return to the glory days of the past as Ms. Ayling promised.

And you really weren't merely asking - you were insinuating that I was lying. I don't lie.

I wasn't insinuating anything, merely asking how you had formed an opinion. Seemingly you formed it from reading about her rather than any sort of judgement based on her being a UKIP candidate. I say that because this board is littered with posts by those who have a hatred of Farage and/or all things UKIP; I'm sure I've seen some from you but please correct me if I'm wrong.

EU funding uses our net contribution.

Grimsby voted for Brexit because it sees the EU as part of the reason for its decline and because it's affected by immigration.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Has Sleaford moved?

Well it's sort of Midlands Lincs based on the county area. But clearly it's not as north as the ex Humberside bits.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Well it's sort of Midlands Lincs based on the county area. But clearly it's not as north as the ex Humberside bits.

Just watch out for Jezza campaigning in Seaford.... :blush:
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    I wasn't insinuating anything, merely asking how you had formed an opinion. Seemingly you formed it from reading about her rather than any sort of judgement based on her being a UKIP candidate. I say that because this board is littered with posts by those who have a hatred of Farage and/or all things UKIP; I'm sure I've seen some from you but please correct me if I'm wrong.

EU funding uses our net contribution.

Grimsby voted for Brexit because it sees the EU as part of the reason for its decline and because it's affected by immigration.

The major cause for decline in the fishing industry was due to the Icelandic Cod Wars - Grimsby was on it's knees long before the EU fishing policy. I know the funding comes from our net contribution to the EU - do you honestly believe that if it was down to Westminster we'd get even a fraction of that money?:confused:

As for immigration :confused: I think Grimsby has very, very low figures of immigration compared to most of the country. We do have 'problems' with school choice, housing and waiting for GP appointments but it most certainly not down to immigration.

I find it quite sad ....no - quite ridiculous that immigrants are a source of worry to the people in Grimsby.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It's on the extreme west of Lincolnshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleaford_and_North_Hykeham_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    It's on the extreme west of Lincolnshire.

Extreme politically or geographically?!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Extreme politically or geographically?!!

I has had a Conservative M.P. ever since it was created in 1997.
  • Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    The Libdem candidate was talking of it being a 'Eurovision election' on the news earlier today :confused::D
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »

Well the mid west then. Sleaford town is east of Lincoln though so it does spread further east.

Does it matter?
    Forum Member
    Union Jock wrote: »
    The Libdem candidate was talking of it being a 'Eurovision election' on the news earlier today :confused::D

Let's hope the Lib Dems meet their Waterloo on Thursday and hit rock bottom because they want the UK to remain a puppet on a string in the EU!
  • Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Union Jock wrote: »

What's he singing? :D
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »

May be quite a low turnout though although the spring like weather we are going to see for the next few days may boost it.

Should be an easy Tory win as you say but you never know.
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    This. Ayling is an appalling opportunist who keeps popping up all over Lincolnshire in increasingly desperate attempts to get elected somewhere. Comfortable Tory victory with UKIP's vote share down on 2015.
    Former deputy PM, unconscionable hypocrite and jowly fat-arse Lard, sorry Lord Prescott is pitching up in Sleaford today, thus I am given to reconsider the BIB.
  • KiteviewKiteview Posts: 9,246
    Forum Member
    Let's hope the Lib Dems meet their Waterloo on Thursday and hit rock bottom because they want the UK to remain a puppet on a string in the EU!

Given that Waterloo was probably the biggest victory ever in the history of the Eurovision, I am sure the LibDems would be happy with that result. :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well the mid west then. Sleaford town is east of Lincoln though so it does spread further east.

Does it matter?

Yes.

Sleaford is a market town and civil parish in Lincolnshire, England. It is on the edge of the fertile Fenlands, about 11 miles (18 km) north-east of Grantham, 16 miles (26 km) west of Boston, and 17 miles (27 km) south of Lincoln.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weirdest part of the country. Even more so than Cornwall. Gives me the creeps.

Perfect for UKIP. Hopeless for the LibDems.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,514
    Forum Member

Congratulations on that post Marty:)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Weirdest part of the country. Even more so than Cornwall. Gives me the creeps.

Perfect for UKIP. Hopeless for the LibDems.

So Lancashire doesn't even get a mention on your weirdness list. I am bitterly disappointed.:(
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiteview wrote: »
    Given that Waterloo was probably the biggest victory ever in the history of the Eurovision, I am sure the LibDems would be happy with that result. :-)

Zing! :D
  • Mou Mou LandMou Mou Land Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    The party that's so keen on grammar schools might want to get someone who can spell the name of the constituency properly.
    Usual sloppy UKIP.

For a party that is so keen on Grammar schools, they may want to get someone who can properly spell the name of the constituency.

I do not comment on the sloppy grammar of anyone.
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    For a party that is so keen on Grammar schools, they may want to get someone who can properly spell the name of the constituency.

I do not comment on the sloppy grammar of anyone.
    For a party that is so keen on grammar schools, they may want to get someone who can spell correctly the name of the constituency.

This also applies to the OP.