Options

BT TV and YouView for those without Infinity

12346»

Comments

• Options
    JonoJono Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    The youview box does not have the card slot, so if you are not in an infinity area you need to change your box to the vision+ box to use the card.
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skilgannon wrote: »
    Apologies for the long and meandering post, btw :o

I'm sorry to say you have misunderstood every single word they told you.

You also confusing YouView with BT Vision, confusing copper BB with fibre Infinity and confusing two completely different package offers. In short, its safe to say you are confused. :D

You need to contact the BT Mods to clear this up. And clear it up they will. :)

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jono wrote: »
    The youview box does not have the card slot, so if you are not in an infinity area you need to change your box to the vision+ box to use the card.

Thats not true. Whilst they don't have a card slot, YouView is a different platform to BTV and the YV announcements have not been made yet. But the boxes will get all the channels over the internet, not DTT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say you have misunderstood every single word they told you.

You also confusing YouView with BT Vision, confusing copper BB with fibre Infinity and confusing two completely different package offers. In short, its safe to say you are confused. :D

You need to contact the BT Mods to clear this up. And clear it up they will. :)

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

:D

Wouldn't be the first time!

However, to respond point by point:

- you say I'm confusing YouView with BT Vision. Now this may well be the case, but I'm looking at my order on the BT website now, it says I'm getting "YouView box (Humax)" - am I right in saying that this is not BT Vision?

If so, I also have the letter in front of me which says to watch BT sport on TV, I need to buy a viewing card for my BT Vision+ box.

The girl who took my order also specified it would be YouView.

- confusing copper BB with fibre infinity - I didn't think I was, as Infinity is not available in my area, my package is unlimited broadband, £16pm... :confused:

- confusing the two packages - I'm pretty sure it was the first person from BT that I spoke to (Mya), who did that - I have the transcript of the conversation I had with her.

Obviously there are 2 BB packages at £16pm
    - Unlimited BB @ £16pm, free for 6 months
    - Unlimited BB @ £16pm, including £5 BT TV essentials

Mya told me I would get unlimited BB for £16pm, free for 6 months, with the BT TV Essentials package thrown in, which is not the case.

Feel free to correct me, I am certainly confused by all this :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PS Thanks for the link, VM - I will try that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS Thanks for the link, VM - I will try that.

Rather than me giving you third party info, that would be the best course of action. Hope you get it sorted soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I clicked on that link, VM, but am currently waiting on a response.

However, as the service is due to begin on Tuesday, I tried my hand at an online IM chat with one of BT's staff again yesterday.

This was the 4th person I spoke to, and I reiterated once again that the girl who took my order told me I could watch BT Sport on my TV with the YouView box (even though I'd told her it looked like I needed the BT Vision+ with viewing card).

I saw your link to the response from Dave, the BT Care Community mod, so I was quite sure now that all the previous 3 BT staff I'd spoken to had been wrong.

This 4th girl I spoke to in India confirmed to me that I WOULD be able to watch BT Sport on my TV with my YouView box, with normal BT BB, i.e. NOT Infinity.

She even sent me a link to prove that I could:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44564

Now if you click on that link, you will see that what it actually proves is that you, me and Dave the BT Care Community mod are all right, that if you do not have BT Infinity, you need the black BT Vision+ box with viewing card.

This is what that page says:

When will BT Sport be available on YouView?

BT Sport will be available on YouView this summer. YouView customers who have BT Infinity by 1 August will receive a software upgrade and automatically receive BT Sport this summer. To qualify for this, you need to have bought your YouView box directly from BT.

All BT Broadband customers with YouView from BT will be able to watch online at btsport.com and download the app to watch on their smartphone and tablet.

Customers without BT Infinity can get BT Sport 1 and BT Sport 2 in standard definition, but will need a BT Vision+ box rather than a YouView box.

This underlines what I've said all along, the BT staff don't know what they're talking about :D

1st one tried to sell me two packages in one.
    2nd one said normal BT BB & YouView box enables BT Sport on TV (and sold me the package based on that).
    3rd one agreed with 2nd one.
    4th one agreed with 3rd one, even though the evidence she provided firmly contradicted what she was saying.

So anybody who still has any queries, I believe the 3 lines in italics above clears it up.

I eventually got through to a bloke in Glasgow who confirmed what I was saying, apologised, noted it all down as a complaint so that it would be dealt with more quickly, and advised that I should get a black BT Vision+ box delivered to me by Tuesday, when my BR package goes live. I assume the same courier will take back this YouView box, which is useless to me.

It took a while, but by George I think we're there! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skilgannon,

They're still rolling all this out. Its all new. And very confusing, too. If you can get away with it, don't give them that YouView box back. That box is the future where this service is concerned.

You have been given contradictory information (left-hand, right-hand), as the Indian call centre staff are very poorly trained (which isn't their fault, its BT's). The Mods will sort all this out for you. They can take up to three working days to get to you, but they are very good at taking ownership of problems. And they will sort it. :)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    The Mods will sort all this out for you. They can take up to three working days to get to you, but they are very good at taking ownership of problems. And they will sort it. :)
    Really?: Been a couple of weeks now and still not had an answer to my query about playing BT Sports programmes on demand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Really?: Been a couple of weeks now and still not had an answer to my query about playing BT Sports programmes on demand.

The answers yes, friend. You will be able to. I'll see if I can find the T's&C's again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here you go -

BT Sport terms

BT Sport on Demand Content -

Premium video on demand and catch-up content only available via BT Sport Online and the BT TV Platforms, for you to view whenever you choose.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=35950&pageTitle=Sport%20Terms%20and%20Conditions
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Ta for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I eventually got through to a bloke in Glasgow who confirmed what I was saying, apologised, noted it all down as a complaint so that it would be dealt with more quickly, and advised that I should get a black BT Vision+ box delivered to me by Tuesday, when my BR package goes live. I assume the same courier will take back this YouView box, which is useless to me.

It took a while, but by George I think we're there! ;)

Well, although David logged my query as a complaint so it would be dealt with in 24-48 hrs, I have heard nothing in 72 hours and can't track the order, it comes up as not existing, so I just phoned BT yet again.

This time somebody called Steph found the order, it hadn't been picked up yet and so was not being dealt with.

This is really giving me the idea that BT is a pile of crap, nobody I've spoken to yet has done the right thing. Steph said that it has now been picked up and I should get the BT Vision+ box tomorrow, but by now of course I am taking everything I hear from BT with a huge pinch of salt.

One good thing is that, whereas my O2 BB was giving download speed of around 8mb over the past two weeks, I am seeing speeds in excess of 18mb today since my BT BB went live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    What I don't get is why the BT ordering process online is so vague.
    If I follow the ordering web page

I cannot get infinity.
    I can get up to 8mb broadband.
    it then says "Although you can't get BT Infinity yet, you may still be able to watch BT Sport via your TV aerial from 1st August. Register your interest here"

Who is going to switch on the basis that they "may" be able to watch BT Sport?

I assume that if I switch I get a Youview box and a Vision Box, but why can't the ordering process simply spell that out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't get is why the BT ordering process online is so vague.
    If I follow the ordering web page

I cannot get infinity.
    I can get up to 8mb broadband.
    it then says "Although you can't get BT Infinity yet, you may still be able to watch BT Sport via your TV aerial from 1st August. Register your interest here"

Who is going to switch on the basis that they "may" be able to watch BT Sport?

I assume that if I switch I get a Youview box and a Vision Box, but why can't the ordering process simply spell that out?

"may" be able to watch BT Sport means not all areas can get the channels (like Freeview Lite areas).

And the website's garbage. So I usually ring them up.