Champions League 2015/16

carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,037
Forum Member
So it all starts (properly) tomorrow. A few interesting match-ups, Bayern vs City being the stand-out this week, although Arsenal face a potentially tricky trip to Germany too.

Tues 16th Sept 2014 (k.o. 19.45):

GROUP A
Juventus v Malmö FF
Olympiakos v Atletico Madrid

GROUP B
Liverpool v Ludogorets Razgrad
Real Madrid v FC Basel

GROUP C
Benfica v Zenit St Petersberg
Monaco v Bayer Leverkusen

GROUP D
Borussia Dortmund v Arsenal
Galatasaray v Anderlecht

Wed 17th Sept 2014 (k.o. 19.45):

GROUP E
Bayern Munich v Man City
Roma v CSKA Moscow

GROUP F
Ajax v Paris St Germain
Barcelona v Apoel Nicosia

GROUP G
Chelsea v FC Schalke 04
NK Maribor v Sporting Lisbon

GROUP H
Athletic Bilbao v Shaktar Donetsk
FC Porto v BATE Borisov

Anyone have any early predictions for a winner this season?

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Athletico Madrid will be there or there abouts yet again, they have the strongest all round squad from all of the Spanish sides.

Bayern of course will take some beating, then you cannot rule out Chelsea who look very strong domestically.

So speaking as a fan whose team are not in the tournament (and boy does that sound strange to write!), I think that this seasons edition is really quite an open one, I don't think that there is an out and out favourite at this stage.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way Real are playing at the moment, Liverpool might just win the group :cool:
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tempted to put twenty quid on liveprool,real madrid, barca and juve to win
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    The way Real are playing at the moment, Liverpool might just win the group :cool:

The way Liverpool are playing at the moment Basel might just win the group ;-)
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    The way Liverpool are playing at the moment Basel might just win the group ;-)

Basle lost 3-1 on Saturday against Grasshopper Club.

£10 bet on Ludogorets to qualify anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Basle lost 3-1 on Saturday against Grasshopper Club.

£10 bet on Ludogorets to qualify anyone?

Only if Cosmin Moti is in goal.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    looking forward to seeing if Juve can get out of their group this year. Baffling why they are such underachievers in Europe.
    If Basel beat Real, Perez will probably fire Carlo although it's Perez who has destabilised a winning team.
    Winners - Bayern, maybe Chelsea if Costa stays fit, Barcelona should be better than last year, Atletico. Not Arsenal sadly. We'll scrape out of our group in 2nd place, then draw Bayern = kaput.
  • RazorOzRazorOz Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Article on BBC here on "Will an English club win the CL this season?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29177067

Not sure I really see our teams as looking stronger than recent seasons. Other than Chelsea I would say they look on par or weaker. Chelsea look to be our main contender.

I think this article highlights the problem with the culture in this country. Yes a lot of money is being spent in this country, but it takes more than that to win the Champions League. It has to be the right players, of the required quality. Other factors as shown by clubs abroad in recent years, team spirit and the ability to play as a team are important factors. As is being flexible in your approach to games, it's the Champions League, you are no longer going to be able to dominate opposition, most teams in the Champions League have a degree of confidence and you see different styles you wouldn't see in the Premier League.

I think this article overlooks one major thing that La Liga and Bundesliga have over the Premier League. Their clubs might not have the spending power (though in case of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich they have more spending power), but they have a far bigger pool of national talent. So from the bottom up you have strong foundations. There's a lot of average players moving between clubs in the Premier League for inflated prices, something it's rare to see abroad. Athletic Bilbao in the Champions League this season not only consist of all bar 1 Spanish players, they have all come from the Basque region. Such a feat simply wouldn't be possible in England.

I see Chelsea probably as 4th favourites behind the big 3 (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich). Then the rest of our teams very much as outsiders. The rest of our teams probably relying on a good draw to go further than the last 8.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    RazorOz wrote: »
    Article on BBC here on "Will an English club win the CL this season?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29177067

Athletic Bilbao in the Champions League this season not only consist of all bar 1 Spanish players, they have all come from the Basque region.

Mate, don't go on down to the Basque Country and call them "Spanish" players :D
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    AVB must be enjoying himself. Currently 2-0 up away at Benfica and they've won 7 out of 7 in the league.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Real 4-0 up in 37 minutes. They always turn it on for the Champions League, don't they?

Edit: 4-1 now!
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Good individual goal, Dortmund 1-0.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really good goal.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of Juventus or Atletico Madrid not qualifying is the only shock I can envisage happening. I could live without the group stages TBH.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Dortmund playing really well so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arsenal in massive trouble.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IF the results stay the same as they are now Liverpool drawing at home to Ludogorets would be a far worse result than Arsenal losing away to Dortmund. Both in terms of the result itself and in the impact on their respective chances of getting through the group.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dortmund change player season on season but they still look a top quality side.

Can't see anyone outside the usual three winning it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool fans cannot be happy with Balotelli tonight. He's been absolutely useless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Can't see anyone outside the usual three winning it

Bayern, Barca and Real presumably?

I would add Atletico Madrid and Chelsea to that 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Bayern, Barca and Real presumably?

I would add Atletico Madrid and Chelsea to that 3.

With those two fourth and fifth in that order .

I do feel the big three are able to hold a bully boy confidence over a lot of English sides certainly over two legs.

Be interesting to see how Chelsea approach these sort of games this season, the park the bus can only carry you to a point I suppose
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borini coming on in a Champions League match. The mind boggles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »
    Liverpool fans cannot be happy with Balotelli tonight. He's been absolutely useless.

Don't think he will get enough goals for them certainly not in big games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With those two fourth and fifth in that order .

I do feel the big three are able to hold a bully boy confidence over a lot of English sides certainly over two legs.

Be interesting to see how Chelsea approach these sort of games this season, the park the bus can only carry you to a point I suppose

It carried them to winning the whole thing a couple of years ago, so why not do it again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think he will get enough goals for them certainly not in big games

Totally different to Suarez. Suarez fought for his side, full of energy.

Balotelli is already getting huffy with teammates, not passing when he should, and looking mightily lethargic.

He might come good eventually, but I don't think he's been as good a buy as people might make out, personally.