Options

What's the 456 solution? What will Torchwood do?

cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ahead of the finale, thought I'd gather some ideas how they get out of this one.

Is it just gonna go kablaammy, with Jack getting the aliens to eat lead or is there a more sophisticated option?

Is it all a riddle being played on humanity, rather than a 'protection racket'. We still don't know why they need kids, and why they have to be pre-pubescent.

Maybe if they somehow brought on puberty in all the kids early - they lose their childhood but still live?

And in the initial problem - how would you choose the 10% if you had to.

I always felt that the completely random option was the fairest.

G

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jack is going to offer them his own eternal life. I really do, I think his heart is broken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bezmina wrote: »
    I think Jack is going to offer them his own eternal life. I really do, I think his heart is broken.

But maybe they have that already. We really don't know what they're after now or in 1965.

And they've been a bit random in their demands.

G
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have to first find a way to break communication between the 456 and the Children, once that's done they can start blasting away (first at Thames House then at any ships that appear).

I had thought Clem would be the way to break the communication but unless they do an autopsy and find something that way it doesn't seem likely now.

Given that in the preview we saw
    Dekker struggling with some soldiers (not sure if they were Johnsons troops or not) I would guess he knows a way to stop comminication but may not want to.

The Situation is of course similar to The Christmas Invasion where a significant % of the population was controlled by Aliens, before they could be dealt with that control had to be broken. Pretty sure this time it will be a bit harder than pushing a great big Red Buttton though :D
  • Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they give them 10% of the children. I'm sick of earth being majorly threatened so often and there never being any consequences.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I hope they give them 10% of the children. I'm sick of earth being majorly threatened so often and there never being any consequences.

There is almost no way that will end up happening - think of the children....then again :rolleyes:

Actually you have a reasonable but not entirely fair point - remember Doomsday, there were severe consequences in that story, if you recall the doctor telling Rose about them being on a list of the dead and that "so many people died"...

I'm fairly sure there were severe consequences when Abaddon was released and when the Daleks took the earth to the Medusa Cascade...

Oh and there were some fairly severe consequences when the Master built the Paradox machine...but fortunately, paradoxes being paradoxes, it didn't last!

So there are/have been consequences, but never on this scale...either way, tonights episode will be awesome.
  • Options
    lauranceallenlauranceallen Posts: 5,355
    Forum Member
    Its innocence, it must be.

Its been said a child when its young enough, has a strong psychic ability and loses it with loss of innocence, perhaps the 456 is using that as the connection point. It managed to single out Clem, it knew he was there. They called him the "remnant", the remnant of what?

Why kill him unless he knew something, they didnt want him to reveal? Why does the child attached in the chamber not grow older? Clem also said "they don't want the children, but what then?
  • Options
    DormouseDormouse Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. I want consequences. I want horror, I want bleak, I want an unhappy ending.

Torchwood ISN'T Doctor Who - it was always meant to be the grown up sibling, and now they've lost fascination with gratuitously shagging everything in sight, it's growing up nicely.

I'd like to think that Torchwood is brave enough to show what happens when the Doctor doesn't turn up and make it all better.

However harrowing, I think I'm fine with this option. Ask me again when I've watched it...
  • Options
    mirrorman74mirrorman74 Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Am confused over the fate of TW tonight.

On one hand, it would be cool to see a downbeat and dark ending.

On the other hand (and as mentioned before) TW exisits in the same story-verse as SJA and DW... so perhaps it will all end on a 'everything-goes-back-to-normal' vibe.

There's a lot more story to be revealed tonight; why do the 456 want the children?; who are the 456?; why was Johnson & co so hellbent on not only killing CJH but also destroying the Hub?

And why is UNIT so damn un-involved with the entire shenanigans?

A few plot holes, but nothing that has spoiled enjoyment of the show so far.

Feels like a lot left to wrap up in tonight's episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am at least glad they've openly acknowledged this - the UNIT Colonel is just as perplexed by that question!

G
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am confused over the fate of TW tonight.

On one hand, it would be cool to see a downbeat and dark ending.

On the other hand (and as mentioned before) TW exisits in the same story-verse as SJA and DW... so perhaps it will all end on a 'everything-goes-back-to-normal' vibe.

There's a lot more story to be revealed tonight; why do the 456 want the children?; who are the 456?; why was Johnson & co so hellbent on not only killing CJH but also destroying the Hub?

A few plot holes, but nothing that has spoiled enjoyment of the show so far.

Feels like a lot left to wrap up in tonight's episode.

We know why Johnson & co where hellbent on killing CJH and destorying the Hub..

CJH - Was there in the past, they where trying to cover it all from the governments and the public.

The Hub - They believed CJH Eternal Life came from something in the Hub. And they wanted him dead..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I feel that the 'selection process' of the 10% will proceed- hence the inclusion of Jeremy Kyle in the cast list and the word 'audition'.
    On a serious level , as I am a DW/TW forum regular, I agree that a bleak ending is likely. I am LOVING COE despite the obvious plotholes ( no UNIT or Martha/Jack's somewhat disappointing intervention at Thames House/Gwen's cosy chat with Assasin Lady at the old hub are but a few).
    I feel the 456 are going to be revealed as an empty threat ulitimately, rather like the Christmas Invasion, but have caused enough civil disturbance to de stabilise Earth and cause mayhem/war.
    I feel we may have a phoenix rising from the ashes in terms of Torchwood. We might lose Jack and Gwen ( in some way other than death..) As we now have the fabulous Lois,( I LOVE her) I think we're on the way to seeing a new team and a new Torchwood. There would be little point running the 5 night strip and gathering a new audience on a show that was ending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

UNIT was designed to engage enemy forces, there is nothing they could do in this situation so they have been kept out.

Personally I think it will get delayed long enough for the creatures last child battery to run out (or torchwood may find a way to contact the child and it will rebel) and it will die.

I think it is the only one and apart from a couple of parlour tricks it cannot follow through with it's threat.
  • Options
    ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts are not so deep or philosophical.... and I like happy endings too... there''s enough bad news in real life without wishing it upon myself in my chosen entertainment aswell...

So....I think that the selection and collection of children will go ahead and this will cause civil uprising, hence the army scenes and bus clips in the trailer, but ultimately, the 456 will all start to die once they begin to connect to the children because modern children have had more inocculations, such as the MMR than those in 1965 and the 456 will not have any immunity to those illnesses aka War Of The Worlds.

A cheap, cheerful and easy to film result that can wrap up what has, after all, a lot to be done in one hour tonight...

D
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm betting the connection between the aliens and the earth kids is used against them - some sort of overload/feed back to zap the 456.

How will CJH achieve this?

No idea. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dormouse wrote: »
    Torchwood ISN'T Doctor Who - it was always meant to be the grown up sibling, and now they've lost fascination with gratuitously shagging everything in sight, it's growing up nicely.

:D Torchwood may be getting past the teenage years!

On-topic, I'll repeat what I said on another thread- a suitably dark ending, with a difficult decision but including the possibility to defeat the 456 and at least make sure they don't return, would be to give them at least some of the kids- as suicide bombers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I've got the DVD so I'm going to put 1 word in spoiler tags.
    Clem