Options

Need For Speed Most Wanted - thread

Comments

• Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actual driving is fun, But I've never liked the concept of having to drive round to get to the race you want to run. Also never been too keen on the open world races, Much prefer closed routes to race through.
    The side challenges while driving around (Jumps, speed cameras, looking for billboards etc....) are fun I guess if you like that sort of thing but i'd much rather just go racing.

Noticed the same problem as with Burnout Paradise, You can't restart races without driving back to the start point. If I don't win a race or achieve whatever target i was set I like immediately restarting & having another go, Don't like having to drive round looking for the start point before Im able to have another go.
    Criterion patched that into BP in 2009. I don't have this game yet so can't confirm if it hads been carried over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Had the chance to play this on a friends PC over the weekend, Just reaffirmed my dislike of these open world style racing games.

The actual driving is fun, But I've never liked the concept of having to drive round to get to the race you want to run. Also never been too keen on the open world races, Much prefer closed routes to race through.
    The side challenges while driving around (Jumps, speed cameras, looking for billboards etc....) are fun I guess if you like that sort of thing but i'd much rather just go racing.

Noticed the same problem as with Burnout Paradise, You can't restart races without driving back to the start point. If I don't win a race or achieve whatever target i was set I like immediately restarting & having another go, Don't like having to drive round looking for the start point before Im able to have another go.

Outside of that I didn't like the 2 driving views that are available. Felt the bumper-cam was too low & the behind the car view was a little too low/close to the car. I'd have liked to have either a roof-cam or a higher behind the car view. The 2 views given don't give as good a view of the road ahead as I'd like.

Its also odd how you only get 4-5 races per-car, You win car upgrades but then once you've done the 4-5 races dedicated to that car there's no real point in using that car again so the upgrade system seems a bit pointless.

To end, If you liked Burnout Paradise you will likely enjoy this, However If you didn't like Burnout Paradise I can't see you liking this.

I must say, having played 5 hours of this game, I'm left with a feeling of not really knowing what I'm doing. It's like there's too much going on at once, whereas I think, like yourself, I prefer a more linear experience (e.g. NFS: Hot Pursuit).

Been online once - what the hell was that all about? Couldn't make head nor tail of it. Why was I sat waiting with other drivers... waiting... sat there... next thing, someone smashed into me... oh look, the race has started... next thing the race has finished and I'm in some donuts competition? Can you race as a copper online? If not, why the hell not?

The game is good, but I could with a little more guidance. Dunno, hard to explain but I hope those who have played the game know what I'm talking out.

However, I must correct you on something. Once you have completed a race, you can easily go to Restart Race and it will jump you to the start line without having to drive yourself there.
  • Options
    steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I wont be getting this on launch but I am planning on getting it either before Christmas if a good offer turns up or for Christmas. After enjoying the Autolog on Hot Pursuit I am happy to have more people adding times on my friends list so feel free to add me if you want (Although as I say I wont have the game right away).

As someone who has played Hot Pursuit could you tell me how close the gameplay and general feel is to Hot Pursuit? I absolutely loved Hot Pursuit, one of my favourite games and the tools you had were really novel and made every race a real thrill.

I have seen a lot of posts saying Most Wanted is like Burnout Paradise, much as I enjoyed that game, and indeed the Burnout series, I think with Ridgeracer Unbounded too borrowing from that template it has been a bit overdone recently, would have much rather had a direct hot pursuit sequel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

Erm...that's not true. If you mess up mid-race you can go to the start menu and press "Restart" to immediately go back to the starting point, and likewise if you finish the race but don't get the result that you wanted you can go to the pause menu and select "Retry Last Race" and the game will jump right back to the start point of the last event you attempted. You don't have to go searching for the starting grid like you did in BP.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    My Bad, Seems I missed the retry race option, I did only fail to win 2 races though so didn't really have much need to go looking for it.

Since I didn't see an obvious note popup saying 'retry' I just kinda assumed it wasn't there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Outside of that I didn't like the 2 driving views that are available. Felt the bumper-cam was too low & the behind the car view was a little too low/close to the car. I'd have liked to have either a roof-cam or a higher behind the car view. The 2 views given don't give as good a view of the road ahead as I'd like.

This. Bumper cam is crazy with everything whizzing past and I just cant seem to control the car from above the car view. There should be a bonnet view as well like probably every other driving game has.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    As someone who has played Hot Pursuit could you tell me how close the gameplay and general feel is to Hot Pursuit? I absolutely loved Hot Pursuit, one of my favourite games and the tools you had were really novel and made every race a real thrill.

I have seen a lot of posts saying Most Wanted is like Burnout Paradise, much as I enjoyed that game, and indeed the Burnout series, I think with Ridgeracer Unbounded too borrowing from that template it has been a bit overdone recently, would have much rather had a direct hot pursuit sequel.

You may not like NFS:MW in that case. I LOVED Hot Pursuit, but I'm not really getting on with this lastest offering.

Perhaps I just prefer a straightforward linear game. Take online for example. You seem to just wait around for ages waiting for events/challenges/races to begin (you drive to your next starting point so you end up sat there waiting for others to catch up). Then there's the events themselves. All I want to do is race, but the event will start and you're tasked with jumping over something, or driving to some rooftop somewhere. It's just too confusing, and lacks structure.

A definite try before you buy, I would say.
  • Options
    fanstar77fanstar77 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    ballybally wrote: »
    This. Bumper cam is crazy with everything whizzing past and I just cant seem to control the car from above the car view. There should be a bonnet view as well like probably every other driving game has.

Agreed. I've decided to trade it in after a week.
  • Options
    denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need some vita friends for this game. Can anyone with the vita version add me as a friend so we can get some of the online trophies?

My id is: denziloshamen

If sending a friend request put DS NFS in the message so I know why you've added me.

Many thanks, looking forward to getting some requests.
  • Options
    steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrobbo wrote: »
    You may not like NFS:MW in that case. I LOVED Hot Pursuit, but I'm not really getting on with this lastest offering.

Perhaps I just prefer a straightforward linear game. Take online for example. You seem to just wait around for ages waiting for events/challenges/races to begin (you drive to your next starting point so you end up sat there waiting for others to catch up). Then there's the events themselves. All I want to do is race, but the event will start and you're tasked with jumping over something, or driving to some rooftop somewhere. It's just too confusing, and lacks structure.

A definite try before you buy, I would say.

Think I'll wait till it's price drops a lot next year in the sales, got plenty of other stuff to play in the meantime so there is no rush. I think the only thing that would have even made me consider it at full price is if it was a true HP sequel.

Kind of annoying really that IMHO less deserving franchises like NFS Shift do get sequels while HP doesn't, still the original nailed it in every regard so maybe they just couldn't do anything much better yet. Guess it might resurface on the forthcoming next gen systems where they have a lot more graphical horsepower to work with.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Kind of annoying really that IMHO less deserving franchises like NFS Shift do get sequels while HP doesn't, still the original nailed it in every regard so maybe they just couldn't do anything much better yet. Guess it might resurface on the forthcoming next gen systems where they have a lot more graphical horsepower to work with.

Hot Pursuit has had 3 games while Shift, Most Wanted and Underground have only had 2 games each.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been playing this for the last week. Manly concentrating ongetting the bonuses like the billboards, security gates and speed cameras.

I have 152 of 156 billboards...you need to do a serious amount of driving around to find them, but I consider that good practtie for familiarising myself with the layour for when I come to do the races. It's a little frustrating to find that the last 15 or so billboards pop up in places where you had already previously smashed them.

I generally like the feel of the game...yes it is very Burnout inspired, with a bit of NFS Pursuit as well. I find the Atom or the BAC Mono the fastest and the best ones for getting that required acceleration to get the air needed to reach high billboards.

I have to say I don't find the size of the gaming area as big as I expected...perhaps it's because I am used to driving from end to end to find the bonuses, and by using either the highways, underground passes and long mountain roads you can traverse the map pretty quickly.

But that's another disappointment...the map. It only shows the location of the races, and no other detail.

That said...the car handling is very good, the layout and design of the world is very good, the cars handle very well (and are suprisingly easy to find), and I can imagine it's a game I will probably come back to frequently.
  • Options
    CeeBeeUKCeeBeeUK Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    So many people who enjoyed BP seemed to be enjoying this, so how could I resist?!

Lunchtime purchase and a quick blast before dinner, looking good!

CeeBeeUK on PSN too, although a couple of names were already popping up on speed cameras, so some of you may still be friends from BP days.
  • Options
    geobradgeobrad Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    has anybody managed to get this to work with ps move?
  • Options
    denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geobrad wrote: »
    has anybody managed to get this to work with ps move?

Wouldn't you need the steering wheel attachement thing they announced for it to work though. I'm not even sure that is out yet so doubt it would work with this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had it for 2 days now. Some great cars and racing but some annoying things too. It's not the same open world as burnout paradise was (stupid checkpoints that mean you can't move off the race route too much), autolog logging out all the time, too many lockups, rubber banding is dreadful and means its easier to hold back for as long as possible before taking the lead.

Of course the online and autolog Challenges mean I'll be playing until the end and beyond :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought this before when out shopping i'm do 2 or 3 races as well the tutorial at the start this is very early first impressions and i'm loving it this is easily the best racing game i've played on the vita

Just a quick question though that even PS3 players might be able to answer

Does this game still have Rubberband A.I like previous open world NFS games, i did terrible in one normal race and then in the next i got pass 2 racers quickly but the one in first place just kept getting further and further away no matter how quickly and accurately i was driving

Rubberband A.I in Undercover was the greatest thing one race and the worst thing the next race so i don't know what i'll think if its in this one
  • Options
    Kopite79Kopite79 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah the game does have rubberbanding. It's rare that the leader will get away from you but it does happen occasionally. I find it tends to happen on the harder races if you crash a few times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the Koenigsegg race is the worst. Take him down as many times as you want he will still be overtaking you within a second of recovering.

Struggling with the Needlepoint race now grrrr !!
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving this game!! please send any friend requests to dylanbungle..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it but not quite sure on it still, almost platinum it but I still prefer burnout paradise. It's a mix of bp an nfs undercover to me but its mostly an offline game. The online seems a bit cobbled on an not as much to do as bpd it's predecessor
  • Options
    Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    I havent tried online yet, want to get through offline first.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have bought for sons birthday so just made do with the demo for now. Can you actually lose the police on it ?? They never give up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Have bought for sons birthday so just made do with the demo for now. Can you actually lose the police on it ?? They never give up.

They are a bit sticky, but fast car, sharp turns, jumps on/off roof tops etc are usually the order of the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can take out the cops chasing you , you can lose then faster, art off roads, its harder to lose them in slower non spec cars