Google Play Music Match

Comments

• SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    The service requires you to upload ALL of your music files = a very long time if you have a lot of them. :(

My connection is 8Mbps Down but only 400kbps Up.... it has taken over a day to upload half of my collection of only 3,100 songs at 320bit rate.

Try uploading 1.5TB of songs, i'm guessing 150,000 or more tracks i have it will take me years to upload them at 1mb :eek:
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Try uploading 1.5TB of songs, i'm guessing 150,000 or more tracks i have it will take me years to upload them at 1mb :eek:

There is a 20,000 track limit :p:D :cool:
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i win the lottery i'll upload all my software, music, photos ect to a server but i'll have to pinch someones fibre network :p
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    If i win the lottery i'll upload all my software, music, photos ect to a server but i'll have to pinch someones fibre network :p

If you get a diskstation NAS, you can host your own audio cloud.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Ah when I put in my CC details the system crashed and the transaction failed but I was still sent to the manager download :)

Oh dear, not good

Im done, just X the box
    Did not want to give google my CC

Nice find this, more cloud storage the better
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were a less nice person, I'd max out the storage with random noise. Let them de-dupe that ;)
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    If I were a less nice person, I'd max out the storage with random noise. Let them de-dupe that ;)

you mean you'd upload my kids music collection :eek:

:p
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm honestly struggling to see the use for this as a personal streaming service. most of us have all the music we'd want to listen to on our phones or music devices anyway, and if we want to listen to music at home, it would either be on a stereo, music device or computer.

it's not like it would be of any use if you went away somewhere, as you'd most likely take some kind of device with you anyway.

As i've said, i like the idea of a cloud-based backup, but that's really about as far as i can see it being useful. Not sure how in-depth this music match service will be though, so i'll have to see when all my stuff is uploaded.

because things like nexus 4 & 7, One X, iphones, etc don't have expansion beyond the built in memory.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    because things like nexus 4 & 7, One X, iphones, etc don't have expansion beyond the built in memory.

yeah i appreciate that, but i think for heavy music listeners, it wouldn't really work unless you had unlimited data to stream your music.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you actually read what it says you'll understand. :rolleyes:

i would not give Google my credit/debit card number either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah i appreciate that, but i think for heavy music listeners, it wouldn't really work unless you had unlimited data to stream your music.

You are correct and very few people have, in fact most people will have about 250-500MB, with some maybe having 1GB and the ones with plenty of money maybe 2.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends how you define plenty of money - I top up £15 a month on PAYG and have unlimited. That doesn't seem a lot to me.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you download albums to your phone from Google Music like you can with iTunes Match?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i would not give Google my credit/debit card number either.

Thats not what i meant and you know it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are correct and very few people have, in fact most people will have about 250-500MB, with some maybe having 1GB and the ones with plenty of money maybe 2.

Plenty of money maybe 2? All you can eat data packages aren't expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    Depends how you define plenty of money - I top up £15 a month on PAYG and have unlimited. That doesn't seem a lot to me.

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones that pay little and get a lot, but that is not going to last for ever, also are you sure it is really unlimited?

i seen these mobile networks and their unlimited, where it means 500MB, juts like fixed broadband providers, saying that they are getting better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not what i meant and you know it.

So what did you mean?
    i still will not give google my credit/debit card number. I got a Android phone, and so far i have not paid for a App, not that I use many apps, because I refuse to give Google my debit card details.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of money maybe 2? All you can eat data packages aren't expensive.

Until you eaten too much and the networks say enough is enough.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Can you download albums to your phone from Google Music like you can with iTunes Match?
    Yes, alhough I haven't used it yet when you browse your music in the app it gives you the option to pin songs for offline use.
    Maybe you are one of the lucky ones that pay little and get a lot, but that is not going to last for ever, also are you sure it is really unlimited?

i seen these mobile networks and their unlimited, where it means 500MB, juts like fixed broadband providers, saying that they are getting better.
    No, it's All You Can Eat on Three. I've heard the odd rumour of people getting a text if they do something like 30Gb in a month but that's it. I use 2-2.5 Gb most months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Virgin Mobile

£10 - 150 Min, utd texts, utd data (10GB fair usage)
    £12 - 250 Min, utd texts, utd data (10GB fair usage)
    £17 - 1200 Min, utd texts, utd data (10GB fair usage)

No contract, hardly expensive is it?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Regardless of what plan you use, a lot of the time people DO have (effectively) unlimited data, whether its the wifi at work/ cafe/pub, or using home broadband; hence the popularity of things like spotify and tunein radio.

Yes, if you're out for a jog every morning or looking for something to play music in the car, it's not sensible to stream music over a mobile broadband connection each time, but that's why there's a 'store locally' option.
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent for another backup. I subscribe to iTunes Match too so having all my songs essentially backed up locally and to two separate online services is cool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    Excellent for another backup. I subscribe to iTunes Match too so having all my songs essentially backed up locally and to two separate online services is cool.

I'm the same, saves me having to keep a manual backup, although I still do via time machine.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can get AYCE data on Three for £9.90/month (if you use a cashback site like Quidco it works out around £6.90/month), so hardly plenty of money.

Saying that, i have no data allowance at all on my phone (unless you count 256Kb/month of GPRS data) and i have all my music in GMusic. Wifi is pretty ubiquitous in the UK, especially with all those BT Homehubs out there allowing access via Fon.
    I got a Android phone, and so far i have not paid for a App, not that I use many apps, because I refuse to give Google my debit card details.

Google recently launched gift cards in the US, so when it comes here you'll be able to buy them in various shops and use with your Play account without having to provide CC/DC details.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Yes, if you're out for a jog every morning or looking for something to play music in the car, it's not sensible to stream music over a mobile broadband connection each time, but that's why there's a 'store locally' option.

I accept there are probably many instances where people will find it useful I suppose. Personally, I have a 64gb Micro SD card in my S3 which stores my entire collection and still leaves me about 18gb free so i'll never really need to use the service as anything other than a cloud backup.