Why is android a laggy piece of ****?

2»

Comments

• Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the Nexus 4 since December and it's fast and responsive and doesn't lag at all.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem this is definitely an area Apple are superior in. My Desire HD was full of lag and bugs from about 12 months in. By the time we parted last month it was becoming practically unusable. My mate's reported the same thing about the Sensation.

Despite all the claims I'm not getting an ounce of lag on the S4 but I daresay that will change over time.

What do some of you people do with your phones? My Desire HD, though not the snappiest device around today, was running pretty darn well, since the Android 2.3 and sense 3.5 updates it really was pretty quick. My Desire HD is still usable and runs most apps and games quite well.

Pro tip, don't clog up the internal storage. Clear the app cache from time to time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it isn't. I have a Samsung galaxy s3 mini running android jelly bean and have zero lag.
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got a Nexus 4, runs nice and smooth.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those struggeling with the Note after the 4.1.2 you have two options. Install a custom ROM and kernel (I can recommend Team Unity ROM and Speedmod kernel). The phone is very smooth with great battery life with this combo.

Or just roll back to ICS. Very easy with Odin.

Samsung have really messed up the Note with that update.
  • kjh84kjh84 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    For those struggeling with the Note after the 4.1.2 you have two options. Install a custom ROM and kernel (I can recommend Team Unity ROM and Speedmod kernel). The phone is very smooth with great battery life with this combo.

Or just roll back to ICS. Very easy with Odin.

Samsung have really messed up the Note with that update.

I'm having the exact same problem, can you explain how I do either of these options thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    kjh84 wrote: »
    I'm having the exact same problem, can you explain how I do either of these options thanks

Stock firmware is available from SamMobile.com. You need to become a member to download it, but it's free.

There are also plenty of instructional videos on YouTube on how to use Odin - I watched lots of them to get the idea. The XDA forums are also incredibly useful.

If you want to go back to stock, you may prefer to use a non-branded firmware as opposed to that of your carrier so you can be free of their bloat. To do this, you will need to unlock your phone. You can ask your carrier to do it, for which they may or may not charge a fee and take ages. Otherwise there are plenty of online companies who will supply you with an unlocking code for around a tenner. When I did it, my code came within half an hour and it worked perfectly. Don't get it done in an unlocking shop if you can help it.

If you haven't done this kind of thing before, you really cannot research too much. It all seems a bit daunting, but it's actually very easy if you follow the instructions carefully. The extensive research is to stop you panicking if something unexpected happens.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Personally i think this is a wind up thread to be honest.

No one noticed the OP hasn't bothered to respond to any of the posts?

Anyway, i used to get some terrible lag on my iphone 4S so its not just Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McTeagle wrote: »
    Stock firmware is available from SamMobile.com. You need to become a member to download it, but it's free.

There are also plenty of instructional videos on YouTube on how to use Odin - I watched lots of them to get the idea. The XDA forums are also incredibly useful.

If you want to go back to stock, you may prefer to use a non-branded firmware as opposed to that of your carrier so you can be free of their bloat. To do this, you will need to unlock your phone. You can ask your carrier to do it, for which they may or may not charge a fee and take ages. Otherwise there are plenty of online companies who will supply you with an unlocking code for around a tenner. When I did it, my code came within half an hour and it worked perfectly. Don't get it done in an unlocking shop if you can help it.

If you haven't done this kind of thing before, you really cannot research too much. It all seems a bit daunting, but it's actually very easy if you follow the instructions carefully. The extensive research is to stop you panicking if something unexpected happens.

Thank you very much, i shall be definitely be looking into doing it as i'm not going to give in an get an early upgrade! :D
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you very much, i shall be definitely be looking into doing it as i'm not going to give in an get an early upgrade! :D

I think I will get an early upgrade in January (Due April). I was going to anyway before this JB debacle. I am considering restoring it back to ICS as it was better before. I would miss the new S pen features and the multi window view though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I will get an early upgrade in January (Due April). I was going to anyway before this JB debacle. I am considering restoring it back to ICS as it was better before. I would miss the new S pen features and the multi window view though.

Orange offered me the new S4 but on a dearer price plan (double what i'm paying now). So i'l just wait out till August when i can get a better earlier upgrade or till Oct when my contract actually runs out.

To be honest i've not really looked at the new features yet. Don't like that blue tab that pops up if you press the back button too long. Not sure if it's because of JB but when someone messages me on Fb i get their face pop up in a little circle and i can answer them without having to log in :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member

Not at all. Trust me - I'm a computer illiterate and it all seemed like witchcraft to me when I first started looking at it. However, with adequate preparation, it's pretty painless.

I'll give you a couple of important hints. If you flash new firmware, it is recommended that you do a complete factory wipe in order to clear out any lingering data that might kick up some errors. Assuming you're not rooted, you will lose every app on your phone (your photos will be safe as they don't get wiped, but you should back them up anyway). However, you can download everything again from Google Play, including paid apps. It can be a right royal pain to do if you have a lot of apps, so there are a couple of backup apps that can help you out. They're both free on the Play Store.

App Backup And Restore will back up your apps to your SD card. It will NOT back up data - I lost all my Angry Birds scores, for example.

Helium App Sync And Backup will back up both your apps and the data.

Neither app is foolproof, but they should save you a lot of time going through the Play Store again. You don't HAVE to do a full wipe, but it might help. When I downgraded from ICS to Gingerbread because of the stupid Sky Go app not working, I had an annoying error popping up constantly. The factory wipe cured it instantly.

Also, check the firmware you're downloading is compatible with your phone. For my Galaxy S2, I went for Nordic Countries firmware. It was compatible and unbranded. I updated to Jelly Bean in February. T-Mobile STILL hasn't sorted out their own Jelly Bean update, which I put down to them working out how to add their own bloatware to it.

There are also very helpful forums on SamMobile if you have any questions or want to do some research.

All the above methods are free and for stock unlocked phones.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I have found nothing like has been reported by some on XDA and here. I have an unlocked CPW N7000, did a totally clean install of the UK voda ROM using Odin and, well it runs just fine.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McTeagle wrote: »
    Not at all. Trust me - I'm a computer illiterate and it all seemed like witchcraft to me when I first started looking at it. However, with adequate preparation, it's pretty painless.

I'll give you a couple of important hints. If you flash new firmware, it is recommended that you do a complete factory wipe in order to clear out any lingering data that might kick up some errors. Assuming you're not rooted, you will lose every app on your phone (your photos will be safe as they don't get wiped, but you should back them up anyway). However, you can download everything again from Google Play, including paid apps. It can be a right royal pain to do if you have a lot of apps, so there are a couple of backup apps that can help you out. They're both free on the Play Store.

App Backup And Restore will back up your apps to your SD card. It will NOT back up data - I lost all my Angry Birds scores, for example.

Helium App Sync And Backup will back up both your apps and the data.

Neither app is foolproof, but they should save you a lot of time going through the Play Store again. You don't HAVE to do a full wipe, but it might help. When I downgraded from ICS to Gingerbread because of the stupid Sky Go app not working, I had an annoying error popping up constantly. The factory wipe cured it instantly.

Also, check the firmware you're downloading is compatible with your phone. For my Galaxy S2, I went for Nordic Countries firmware. It was compatible and unbranded. I updated to Jelly Bean in February. T-Mobile STILL hasn't sorted out their own Jelly Bean update, which I put down to them working out how to add their own bloatware to it.

There are also very helpful forums on SamMobile if you have any questions or want to do some research.

All the above methods are free and for stock unlocked phones.

Hi - possibly considering some phone 'surgery' on my unlocked JellyBeaned N7000, but still get confused on a few terms / steps. Can I ask, are the steps..

1)' Root' the phone, which removes all the Touchwiz overlay and this results in stock Android?
    2) Next, do you have to 'flash' firmware? What is this and what does it do? Does rooting not take care of this?
    3) When I see Youtube videos, it then talks of 'kernels' etc. What is this and is this a step in the process? And also talk of CWMs..?
    4) Then installing a 'custom ROM'. Is this essentially another term for a launcher (like Nova Launcher)? Must you do this, so that you will have another (TouchWiz) equivalent, to be able to use the phone? Is this the final step in the process and mandatory to do?

How will the Note look like a Nexus, which has just stock Android (I'd like my Note to look like that)

By doing all / any of the above, do you lose any S-Pen functionality or the S-Note application?

My phone's out of warranty, so no issues there. I'm fairly computer literate, but some of the steps still confusing, or just too much to digest after a slog at the office. But with a few days off soon, may have a tinker. Thanks for any guidance provided.