Isreali couple dance to Bolero at the Winter Olympics

SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know if anyone else saw this this evening, though Im sure some on here did but an Isreali couple attempted to dance to Bolero! Very brave indeed, its hard to hear it and not think of Jayne and Chris.

Anyway although the commentators on the BBC were complimnetary the BBC's coverage was actually on a slight time delay so I saw it first a few minutes earlier on Eurosport and the commentators there made mincemeat of them for evening daring to go near it, like its sacred or something.

Heaven knows what they will think of the DOI finalist's trying to do Bolero in a fortnight.

Comments

• slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I watched it and thought the Isreali couple were ok

but they didnt compare with T&D,

T&D routine flowed and they paced themselves with the music building up from the start to a dramatic finish

where the Isreali couple just seemed jerky, with all their spins and lifts they just didnt interpret the music at all, i was dissapointed

I can remember in the past Carmen had been done and i wondered if the Russian couple would do justice to it

i thought they did
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparantly it was a female figure skater who did Carmen before and it was a memorable dance as well.

I suppose they run out of tunes after a while.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Apparantly it was a female figure skater who did Carmen before and it was a memorable dance as well.

I suppose they run out of tunes after a while.
    Katerina Witt was the ice skater but a Russian couple did Carmen in the late 80s early 90s
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught this on the beeb last night and it was truly horrendous, the arm movements were just desperate, couple of cute tricks but that was it.

Brave, but extremely foolish of them and it didn't work....
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Two couples actually danced to Bolero last night but one was in an early group which was only broadcast on the interactive screens.

I've forgotten who the other couple were or where they were from.

The arrangement of Bolero they danced to was more "flamenco" than the one the Israelis used, which seemed fairly similar to that used by T&D.

I think it's a bit unfair to make comparisons but if I were a competitive skater I'd probably want to steer clear of any tunes that had become associated with a very successful skater from the past!

That said certain tunes do seem to get used regularly. The Arabic-sounding Peter Gabriel one the Ukranians used last night springs to mind, but I can't remember the actual couples that have used it before, so it's not quite the same thing, IMHO.
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote:
    I caught this on the beeb last night and it was truly horrendous, the arm movements were just desperate, couple of cute tricks but that was it.

I agree, lovely music shame about the appllication. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote:

Agreed, it was ridiculous really, that music just makes you wish you were watching that perfect 1984 performance.

In fact, I came straight back on the PC afterwards and watched it ;):)