Eastenders 31/12/2010 - Goodbye 2010... Episode Discussion

Comments

• LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erinfan wrote: »
    The bad....
    I want to be hooked into this storyline, but I'm really not. I feel the pacing has been all wrong in the lead up and like others, I feel it's a step too far for Ronnie's character. It just seems too easy and repetitive to kill another child and plunge her down into grief again, which makes me switch off a bit to the whole storyline. Considering the arch and growth her character went through up to and beyond the rape reveal, I would have liked to have seen Ronnie involved in something utterly different for a while. As in a gripping storyline that doesn't revolve around the usual Ronnie stuff, not just fading her into the background for a couple of months. Or at least they could have chosen a different or less predictable kind of struggle related to the child if they really wanted to make her pregnant. Just my opinion, but immediately killing Ronnie's third baby just frustrates me as a viewer.

BUT

the good...
    It was a good episode, with some good writing and very good performances from the three main characters.
    I'd have thought all the soaps should show the NYE episodes after 12midnight ?
    Its 7.00pm ish at home & 12.00midnight on the box
    strange or is it me being picky ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Agreed - not the fault of the actress, more that she's now become a real trainwreck of a character.

I think it happening to Kat and Jane would have been a good storyline. I feel involving Ronnie has made a lot of people go :rolleyes:

Jane would have been a good choice especially given her history,and the fact she can't have children.

Loved the Jane/Tanya scenes nice to see their relationship
    restarting again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    seeing ronnie so happy throughout the day only to have her baby die, shouldve been heartbreaking....and it was, but i just kept feeling annoyed they had to kill her baby and not give her any happyness.
    i actually felt worse for kat and alfie, and i was expecting to be bawling my eyes out for ronnie, but i guess that'll come next time.
    as heartbreaking as this s/l is going to be im actually looking forwards to it now.

nice to see tanya and jane back to their old selves again.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to say this but i think the episode was toned down a little too much... i'm slightly underwhelmed.
    I guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how it all plays out.
  • Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol at the Corrie fans voting very poor on the poll. :D God love them.
  • Angel_DelightsAngel_Delights Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally Linz wrote: »

Or it could be something shocking like EastEnders fans actually found it poor? :rolleyes:
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or it could be something shocking like EastEnders fans actually found it poor? :rolleyes:
    its for that reason iv e just done that.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Yes, because it couldn't possibly be that some just didn't rate it? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good. Not quite up to the superb standard of the last few episodes - It was the pacing, very obviously careful and measured.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, because it couldn't possibly be that some just didn't rate it? :rolleyes:
    Jesus calm down it was a joke. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    umr3000 wrote: »
    I hate to say this but i think the episode was toned down a little too much... i'm slightly underwhelmed.
    I guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how it all plays out.

Thats what I thought. Average episode, what was all the fuss about?
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted 'Average' (I'd have voted 'Good', but it wasn't an option). Ronnie's 'Mummy' at the door made me think of her shouting 'Daddy' after Archie's coffin as his body was taken away from The Vic. I wasn't moved by the 'Mummy' line - I might have been if we could've seen Ronnie's face, but there seemed to be no emotion in her words - she was almost saying them to the door rather than trying to shout them through it.

Alfie got to me a bit when he realised how much trouble Kat was in. I wonder if, when 'his' baby is discovered to have died, he'll remember promising God at the hospital that he could have 'anything else' if only Kat could come through it all.

Since Ronnie's sadness and distress did not really come over for me I am expecting to feel more for Kat and Alfie tomorrow (and in all honesty I haven't even liked Kat that much since her return). If Ronnie could not get the lion's share of my sympathy tonight she is going to find it even harder once Jack is back and helping to 'fight' her corner in his role of Best Supporting Plank. I do feel a bit guilty about not being moved by Ronnie's situation, but the connection just was not there for me tonight.

I liked Tanya and Jane's little scene as they added various people to use as an excuse to raise a glass to. To everyone on here too - Happy New Year!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ronnie shouting "Mummy" was the best part of the episode.
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know what to make of tonight's episode. I do think that Jessie Wallace has been marvellous with some superb acting from her. I think Shane Ritchie as Alfie was excellent as well.
    I just didn't know what to make of Ronnie and her reaction to finding her baby lying motionless and cold in his cot. I would have thought she would have tried harder to phone the emergency services or ran out of the flat screaming. But again the character of Ronnie has been through so many emotional times in her life and just after having her baby might not have been thinking rationally. Obviously not or she wouldn't have even dreamed of swoping babies.
    I really don't see the need for this storyline unless one of the actor's or actresses are leaving the soap?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    I feel for Ronnie, I really do, but another stupid coincidence that the babies have the same pajama. Next they will say the babies were separated at birth. Be realistic please if you are going to tell a story.
  • vicktrickvicktrick Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    [/B]That will be me then:o

I didn't mean it like that i was really getting at the people that
    are going to complain because their kids were watching when they knew what was going to happen and could have stopped children from watching.

To lose a child is any parents worst nightmare and im very sorry if i offended anyone with my silly comment

Hiya
    No, I wasn't talking about you, I hadn't read the entire thread just going by what was said above. Wasn't get at anyone just that prehaps given the sensitive nature we should be a bit careful.
    Anyway, Happy New Year's to ya x :D
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,259
    Forum Member
    catsmeow wrote: »
    I feel for Ronnie, I really do, but another stupid coincidence that the babies have the same pajama. Next they will say the babies were separated at birth. Be realistic please if you are going to tell a story.

Alfie and Ronnie brought the same outfit, tis a cute outfit :D
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Jesus calm down it was a joke. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsmeow wrote: »

But the fact that they were wearing the same clothes would have made it easier to swap them, if she had had to stop and undress both babies she might have come to her senses and stopped, but because they, in her mind, looked so similar she could see a way that her baby could be 'brought back to life', the fact that it isn't Ronnie's baby will hit her later I would expect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Average

They cut scenes out tonight..With Kat in the bed, we did some blood and
    Ronnie touching babies cold hand :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im surprised they even bothered to film the blood, the amount we saw for the briefest time was never going to be allowed pre water shed, whatever storyline generated it.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    upsykimsy wrote: »
    I was... albeit in a bit of pain... Giiving birth doesn't turn you into an invalid for six weeks... Honest!

Still, as Ronnie's baby was born a little early, and it's supposed to be midwinter, surely it would have been more realistic for her to wait a couple of weeks before taking the baby outside in the cold?
    Lauren__ wrote: »
    I didn't think it was that bad:o
    I wasn't affected by that:o

I thought I would get emotional from it being so awful but I didn't really bat an eyelid:o

I agree. Not feeling much at all, and it seemed to have been rushed. I felt much more affected when I watched the cotdeath of Hassan back in the 80s. That was done much better.

I also found the Billie Jackson death episode more captivating than this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Has Tanya got extensions in or has her hair just grown ultra fast!

If it's her real hair then I wish mine would grow that fast.
    flbkab wrote: »
    Alfie talking about the boys growing up together :(

I know, it will never happen, and it would have been nice to see too.
    i thought it was cooking oil :o

Same
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    The blood on her heels was sufficiently gruesome!

I know, but imagine how bad it would have been if we saw the sheets and everything.
    gmc93 wrote: »
    Not as 'awful' as people were making out IMO. Brilliant acting from Samantha Womack as always. I thought the scene of Ronnie banging on Glenda's door shouting for mummy was sad. :(

I know, her family is never there for her, except Roxy when she can be bothered. I wish Ronnie would be happy for a change.
    Strangely, one of the most disturbing lines and scenes in soap history.

Wow. Incredible!

It was horrible, very good acting by Sam Womack
    "Your husband left you HAHA"

"Your baby is dead HAHA...."

Pretty epic.

Spat my drink onto the keyboard. It would be good to watch though and I wouldn't put it pass Janine to say that!
    flbkab wrote: »
    Very Good. Samantha Womack was excellent

Agreed.
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    Still, as Ronnie's baby was born a little early, and it's supposed to be midwinter, surely it would have been more realistic for her to wait a couple of weeks before taking the baby outside in the cold?

I agree. Not feeling much at all, and it seemed to have been rushed. I felt much more affected when I watched the cotdeath of Hassan back in the 80s. That was done much better.

I agree that was very well done, however I wonder if that had been shown in the age of internet forums and face book campaigns whether they would have snipped out scenes showing Hassan's dead body and Ali's profound grief :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes:
    Hence the smiley - :D Would've thought it was obvious.

Anyway ... whatever :yawn: