Options

Christmas adverts you no longer see

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
Remember in 70s , every christmas we had the Look what boots can do for you this christmas with all the stars in the isles poping out dressed in tinsel , and advertising the latest Toy or game

All the Woolworth ones, as well

anybody remember any others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smNHDYpw_bM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMFFE01N7d4&feature=related

Comments

• Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronco, although now we have JML Direct instead
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    draig goch wrote: »
    Ronco, although now we have JML Direct instead

Ronco were brilliant! Total crap products.

I mention on the "futurama" quotes thread that Fry said he used to have a Ronco record album safe and he could still remember the combination.

"Nine!"

and who could forget;
    "Mr Ambassador, you're spoiling us!"
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love

"Primark, gotta whole lotta things for Christmas, gotta lot for the family". :D

Don't know if it was shown in the UK but it was on Irish telly for years until about 8 years ago!
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a child growing up in the 70's and 80's, the Woolworths ads used to make me feel really excited about Christmas, especially on the occasions when they showed the full-length version :D oh how excited we would all get lol

And the Ronco, they were classic. Weren't there Decca and K-Tel ads that were similar?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Babycham
    Warninks Advocaat
    K-tel Records
    Disney on ice
    Rolf Harris and the Stylophone
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Even in the 90s Woolworths was still at it with the annual Christmas ads.

Take this one from as recent as 1998, wonderful :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UoW3-ss58
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone seen, Hellmann's 5 salad bowls, 4 king prawns, 3 honeyed hams, 2 turkey legs and a jar of Helmann's Mayonnaise yet this year ?

That has been playing for many years, not so far this to my knowledge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Growing up, I used to love the Amaretto di Saronno commercial set at carnevale in Venice. When I grew up, it was one of the reasons I went to see Venice (sad but true).

Never seen that commercial on-line, even thought it was on TV for a few years.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Has anyone seen, Hellmann's 5 salad bowls, 4 king prawns, 3 honeyed hams, 2 turkey legs and a jar of Helmann's Mayonnaise yet this year ?

That has been playing for many years, not so far this to my knowledge.

I don't think I have actually. It used to make me chuckle. All I seem to see is those stupid Iceland adverts all the time :mad:

EDIT: Does anyone think we should have an adverts forum, seeing as we have a TV shows one?
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love the aftershave ads for Old Spice, Denim and Brut. My poor old Dad must have been inwardly groaning every year when they came on the telly. :D

Also, I liked the ads for board games like Buckaroo and Downfall. Nice to see they've lasted all these years, even if they're not TV advertised.

Argos seem to have cut down on their ads this year.

My friend was talking about Xmas ads a few weeks ago and she said that it would soon be time for the Disaronno ad to come out. Even though we still have no idea what sort of drink it is* :p

*Off to Google it now
    Does anyone think we should have an adverts forum, seeing as we have a TV shows one?

Yeah, a sub-forum would be good.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Terry's cholocolate orange ad with the booby traps was always shown at xmas along with the Paxo ad with the giant box in the garden. Yardley used to show nice xmas ads too.
  • Options
    LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell this oldie who the gorgeous young man in the Dior Homme ad is. He has a London accent.

On a totally different tack does anyone else remember when milk was delivered to the doorstep and a week before Christmas they exchanged the usual silver top to ones with holly leaves on. My kids used to get so excited then because Christmas was getting close. The other thing I remember wa the last Blue Peter before the big day with the Salvation Army band coming into the studio with carol singers . Aways reduced me to a blubbering wreck. Do they still do it?
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    the yellow pages ad where the girl wants a kiss under the mistletoe and the boy goes and gets the yellow pages to stand on..they've shown that one for years but haven't seen it this year at all
  • Options
    SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lillith wrote: »
    Can anyone tell this oldie who the gorgeous young man in the Dior Homme ad is. He has a London accent.

That would be Jude Law.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cointreau ad - "orrrranges, rrrreye-penned in the suuun".
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAybe I am watching wrong channels but I haven't seen the Coca Cola ad this year.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Andrex puppy one with a duck or a goose sliding on ice and Noddy Holder screeching out "It's Christmas".
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Coke ad has been screened many times plus the new widescreen one.
    The one I hated was the Argos Bing Crosby one and thankfully it disappeared a few week ago.
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ring the bells with Christmas Timex,
    Tick-a-tick-a-Timex, tra-la-la.

[Tune: “Deck the hall with boughs of holly”]

From the mid sixties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the Cointreau ads, where they used the same "mature" woman for a number of years?

In the last she looked a bit like Dot Cotton.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Harveys Bristol Cream and Croft Original for that matter.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Harveys Bristol Cream and Croft Original for that matter.

Forgot about those - they were definitely a sign that Christmas was nearly here. I look forward to the Famous Grouse ones now - they're a bit like Irn Bru adverts in that I can't remember there ever being a bad one of them.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    BBTweets wrote: »
    Forgot about those - they were definitely a sign that Christmas was nearly here. I look forward to the Famous Grouse ones now - they're a bit like Irn Bru adverts in that I can't remember there ever being a bad one of them.

Indeed. Time to uncork the Bristol Cream. The Croft Original was a spoof on Jeeves & Wooster if memory serves. Stones Ginger Wine too. Oh and Sandeman's Port. Seems to be a booze theme here!
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love a Babycham... :o

...back in the days when alcohol was advertised without the obligatory "enjoy alcohol responsibly" warnings.

Actually most of these ads were probably in the run-up to Christmas. During Christmas I just remember endless ads for package holidays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    I'd love a Babycham... :o

...back in the days when alcohol was advertised without the obligatory "enjoy alcohol responsibly" warnings.

Actually most of these ads were probably in the run-up to Christmas. During Christmas I just remember endless ads for package holidays.

Digressing slightly.

It always amuses me when drinks adverts show young people having a bit of a "rave up" and there's a "Use alcohol responsibly" tag at the bottom of the screen.