YesScript Addon in Mozilla Firefox - your reviews

My browser is Mozilla Firefox. There is a particular forum that I am having problems with using this browser on now (it used to be fine). I have been getting a "mozilla firefox is not responding" sign (in blue at top of screen) when I click on links in that forum, but then (seconds later) it did go to the link.

However, it has now got worse and the lagging is very considerable. I checked out troubleshooting in mozilla and they are suggesting getting a yesscript addon to solve this. Before I do so, I would welcome some feedback as to whether it would be effective and/or problematic.

Comments

• amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,846
    Forum Member
    I forgot to say that, when I got lagging on that forum, a message would pop up saying error and mentioning javascript console.

So would the yesscript add-on be effective for this? Is it safe/effective to use?
    Forum Member
    The yesscript add-on appears not to install (I have emailed the designer). I can't find an alternative to negate the javascript console that is causing lagging on one particular forum...any advice/ideas?

Meanwhile, I see that in my browser, firefox, that javascript is a locked preference! (It says "incremental GC true" whatever that is). Why? Am I able to undo this? If so, would there be unwelcomed repercussions?
    Forum Member
    Well, further to my post above, I have now installed the yesscript add-on but it appears to have made no difference to the lagging on a particular forum. (Mozilla troubleshooting had recommended installing it if there is a problem just on one site + I thought it would be effective since an error kept saying "javascript console")

I am not sure if an add-on takes a while to become effective, i.e. kick in? I have installed it now for some hours and the lagging is the same as it ever was. I am very disappointed. The updates for the add-on were on default and I switched it to 'on' (some hours ago)...still no change.

Has anyone got any views/insights into this situation?
  • AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    It sounds to me like you have been given some strange advice. Add-ons and messing with hidden Firefox settings are likely to be no help, or worse.
    I think the best thing to do is to go back to basics first.

Does the site/forum work properly with another browser like Internet explorer or Chrome?

If the problem exists with another browser, it is the site at fault, not Firefox.

If it does work properly with another browser, it is possible your Firefox profile has got corrupted.
    Try resetting Firefox. Instructions and details of what will happen are here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings
    Forum Member
    Anjomo wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you have been given some strange advice. Add-ons and messing with hidden Firefox settings are likely to be no help, or worse.
    I think the best thing to do is to go back to basics first.

Does the site/forum work properly with another browser like Internet explorer or Chrome?

If the problem exists with another browser, it is the site at fault, not Firefox.

If it does work properly with another browser, it is possible your Firefox profile has got corrupted.
    Try resetting Firefox. Instructions and details of what will happen are here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings
    I have tried the forum site in Google Chrome and it is the same thing, i.e. lagging. So, not just firefox.

(I was going to use my cc cleaner on firefox which I installed but have never used. However, I was put off by the instructions saying that to use the cleaner would permanently delete files from my system.)

(I realise messing with firefox hidden settings is not the way to go...it was not advice from anyone - I was just trying to work out where the problem might be).
    Forum Member
    I have now told admin on that forum that it is their site problem. Thanks for your reply.
    Forum Member
    c cleaner wont do any harm, but it's unlikely to help in this case either. If it is the only website you are having trouble with, it sounds like the website is the problem rather than anything at your end.
    I checked Yesscript. It will do precisely nothing until you configure it, and forums usually don't work properly without javascript anyway, so you would be wasting your time.

If you must use that particular forum try https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
    I have used it for months now and highly recommend it. It works instantly with no messing about and may help. There is a version for Chrome too if you want it.
    Forum Member
    amyawake wrote: »
    I have now told admin on that forum that it is their site problem. Thanks for your reply.

Missed this while I was typing my last reply. Hopefully they will sort it quickly.