The Kinks and the Village Green Preservation Society

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
I'm a big Kinks fan, and I'm only a teenager, I discovered them myself without anybody telling me about them and they're my second favourites after the Beatles, but I don't think they gain that much recognition. So I have created their appreciation society, named the 'Preservation Society' after their album.

My favourite albums have to be:
- Something Else
- Arthur
- The Village Green Preservation Society
- Lola Versus Powerman on the Moneygoround
- State of Confusion
- Schoolboys in Disgrace

I also think their best tracks to be Victoria, You Really Got Me, Come Dancing, Johnny Thunder, Picture Book, Days, State of Confusion, Lola and Waterloo Sunset.

What are your views?

On a critical note, I do believe Soap Opera and Sleepwalker are pretty bad...:D:o

Comments

• revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great band, particuarly in the 60s, but their album stuff is very hit and miss imo. Great to see some youngsters today have good taste in music. Keep away from X-Factor :D
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I also discovered The Kinks as a teenager in the 90s. I was into Blur and I think someone must have suggested that I try the Kinks as Blur was clearly influenced. I never looked back, one of my favourite concerts was Ray Davies.

One of my favourite songs is Come Dancing. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Great band, particuarly in the 60s, but their album stuff is very hit and miss imo. Great to see some youngsters today have good taste in music. Keep away from X-Factor :D

Yeah, we don't all like Leona Lewis or whoever the heck the others are. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the Kinks, have done for years, Ray Davies is a legend.

My favourite Kinks album would be Muswell Hillbillies
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    One of my faves since I was a youngster in the 80s.

I love all of their 60s singles, most of which had strong 'b' sides as well, my faves being 'Big Black Smoke', 'Where Have All The Good Times Gone' and 'I'm Not Like Everybody Else'. I've always had a soft spot for the album 'The Kink Kontroversy'.

A friend of mine was a Kinks fanatic and he organized a Konvention in Muswell Hill. He was thrilled that the band turned up! I used to sport a Davies-esque coiffeured mod hairstyle and Ray muttered 'nice haircut mate'! :D
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done for not falling in with the X Factor crowd like most teens. I love the Kinks and have a fair few tracks on my iPod. I love Waterloo Sunset. In fact it's in the top of my favourite songs of all time.
    But as has been said they often, well pretty much always get over shadowed by the Stones, Who or Beatles. When in fact they are IMO very much up in the class of those three and rightly deserve their place in rock history.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good to see the kinks getting praise from younger people... they were very influencial and dont get as much recognition as they should do..

i DONT like 'come dancing'.... lol but my fav has to be 'see my freinds'..
  • SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    I love the album 'Village Green Preservation Society'. :cool:

Seeing as Halloween is almost here - beware of 'Wicked Annabella'. ;)
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the second half of the 60s is one of the greatest run of albums in history, barely put a foot wrong, best British band ever for me :cool:
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a mark of their greatness that some of their lesser known album tracks became hits for other bands. David Watts, Stop Your Sobbing...
  • SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    It's a mark of their greatness that some of their lesser known album tracks became hits for other bands. David Watts, Stop Your Sobbing...

I think The Pretenders did a great job of 'I Go To Sleep'.

Here's a bit of chart trivia for you all. 'Days' by The Kinks and later covered by Kirsty Maccoll both reached number 12 in the UK charts. 'Days' really should have been a top 10 hit in my opinion - quality song. :cool:
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great band, one of the first to play hard rock(you really got me). Tempered their style later on, but consistently produced great music. I love VGPS!, a very original album at the time and a joy to listen to. Very relevant lyrically today. (eg, the song sung by the politician).
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »

I like both :). Leona's one of the few reality acts that has real talent imo, but thats for another thread maybe?...
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Since this is a thread for Kinks fans, am I the only one who thinks the song Village Green is quite creepy?

I don't mean the lyrics, but the song just has an eerie quality to my ear. Not sure why.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    OP, you give me faith that not every young person has forgotten or never known real music.

You have excellent taste. :)
    Forum Member
    Since this is a thread for Kinks fans, am I the only one who thinks the song Village Green is quite creepy?

I don't mean the lyrics, but the song just has an eerie quality to my ear. Not sure why.

Could be the Abominable Dr Phibes on harpsichord!:)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »

It's so great to see an ever growing amount of young people who have such individual and diverse tastes in music and don't care from what era music comes from.
    I'm seeing evidence of this on youtube too.

I'd imagine that the internet has played a huge part in this and opened up a whole new world to many people (people of all ages too).

It's such a relief to gradually discover that a lot of young people are not all buying into the heavily hyped current pop acts and are looking around for difference.

As for The Kinks, I personally think that their best songs are better than The Beatles.
    The Kinks at their best for me are just pure perfection.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done for not falling in with the X Factor crowd like most teens. I love the Kinks and have a fair few tracks on my iPod. I love Waterloo Sunset. In fact it's in the top of my favourite songs of all time.
    But as has been said they often, well pretty much always get over shadowed by the Stones, Who or Beatles. When in fact they are IMO very much up in the class of those three and rightly deserve their place in rock history.

I'm beginning to think that may be a false perception that people have.
    Maybe in reality more people have more diverse tastes, and as they are diverse things are more scattered around and don't present any particular group who will buy something en masse.
    And that the charts are only a reflection of the people who buy according to a smallish sample of the public who all buy similar things due to the influence of the mainstream media.
    So therefore there is a concentration of sales focused in on selective acts.

You look at the actual sales charts in actual numbers and they don't represent a very big percentage of the population at all. It's a very small sample if you think about it in terms of the actual population, even if the media implies that some acts are much more popular than they actually are in reality.
    The media just does a very good job of suggesting a particular perception of what constitutes popularity.

It's even quite possible that more young people nowadays reject the pop charts even more so than young people from previous decades did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm beginning to think that may be a false perception that people have.
    Maybe in reality more people have more diverse tastes, and as they are diverse things are more scattered around and don't present any particular group who will buy something en masse.
    And that the charts are only a reflection of the people who buy according to a smallish sample of the public who all buy similar things due to the influence of the mainstream media.
    So therefore there is a concentration of sales focused in on selective acts.

You look at the actual sales charts in actual numbers and they don't represent a very big percentage of the population at all. It's a very small sample if you think about it in terms of the actual population, even if the media implies that some acts are much more popular than they actually are in reality.
    The media just does a very good job of suggesting a particular perception of what constitutes popularity.

It's even quite possible that more young people nowadays reject the pop charts even more so than young people from previous decades did.

I think the middle aged farts are the biggest ones to blame for X Factor, they are the ones sitting in and watching in huge numbers on a Saturday night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Capablanca wrote: »
    One of my faves since I was a youngster in the 80s.

I love all of their 60s singles, most of which had strong 'b' sides as well, my faves being 'Big Black Smoke', 'Where Have All The Good Times Gone' and 'I'm Not Like Everybody Else'. I've always had a soft spot for the album 'The Kink Kontroversy'.

A friend of mine was a Kinks fanatic and he organized a Konvention in Muswell Hill. He was thrilled that the band turned up! I used to sport a Davies-esque coiffeured mod hairstyle and Ray muttered 'nice haircut mate'! :D

:D:D:D
  • Slick NickSlick Nick Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice thread - there's hope for this godawful music forum yet.

60s had the best pop music.

Anyone listen to the Zombies? Another quality act.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Slick Nick wrote: »
    Nice thread - there's hope for this godawful music forum yet.

60s had the best pop music.

Anyone listen to the Zombies? Another quality act.

Yes, I love the Zombies, also Rod Argent's and Colin Blunstone's solo works.

Time Of The Season is one of the best songs ever, never mind just from the 60's!
    Forum Member
    Yep...the Zombies are pure class, and like the Kinks just seem to sound better as the decades pass.
  • mccoll131mccoll131 Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    SILLY SUE wrote: »
    I think The Pretenders did a great job of 'I Go To Sleep'.

Here's a bit of chart trivia for you all. 'Days' by The Kinks and later covered by Kirsty Maccoll both reached number 12 in the UK charts. 'Days' really should have been a top 10 hit in my opinion - quality song. :cool:

I went to a funeral service recently where 'Days' was played as the coffin was carried out! Ray Davies was a great wordsmith.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I love the Zombies, also Rod Argent's and Colin Blunstone's solo works.

Time Of The Season is one of the best songs ever, never mind just from the 60's!

Time of the Season I'd say is only about the 6th best song on Oddysey though, an album that is close to perfection :cool: