Artists that were big for a while that you don't really hear of now still make music

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
Okay I'll re write the thread title here, inspired by the T'pau thread, so it makes sense

Artists that were huge or reasonably big for a while, that you don't hear of much or at all anymore, but still make music, or made music in the last 5 years

The thread title has limited space.

T'pau still make music obviously.

The story of Rednex is actually quite sad, they lost their entire lineup twice. Famous for Cotton Eye Joe, their last single was in 2012.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rednex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh5VubuTxVw

Pet Shop Boys continued even though their mainstream popularity declined after the mid 90s and released a new album this month :o Here is the lead single from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdMpGlJhEE

Vengaboys are touring Europe and Australia just now, and released "Rocket To Uranus" in 2012 and "Hot Hot Hot" a couple of years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_kxeDT-jds
Also - a Christmas Party Album in 2014 in which this was the lead single :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byH-eq_1TFU

Bon Jovi releases music sporadically, these 2 singles are from last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdGMhU24EAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfI7Wz9YGuQ

Status Quo release music occasionally. This is from 2012 - 2013. They are currently doing a farewell tour and will be retiring from touring after it :( Its in the UK end of this year if you need tickets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO2hM7UXZqE

The best place to discover the newer music of older artists is their wiki pages, then search Youtube for them. Who else made comebacks, or just released music that wasn't as popular as their previous incarnations?

Comments

• scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kele Le Roc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1nLWbmrilQ

Big in 1998 when she had the audacity to have a top 5 hit and Polydor were kind enough to drop her shortly after.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oleta Adams (most recent album was 2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuXxytK_XTs
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Bon Jovi? Yeah, never hear anything of them any more, especially their stadium tours.
  • Castle SaburacCastle Saburac Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    The Human League
    Franz Ferdinand
    Natasha Bedingfield
    Travis
    Nelly Furtado
    Mika
    Duffy (then again, she hasn't released anything for six years)
    Manic Street Preachers
    Dido
    Macy Gray
    Ocean Colour Scene
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this thread is already telling of people ignorance and not an artists popularity. Manic Street Preachers, Bon Jovi, Pet Shop Boys and Status Quo? Dont hear of much or at all?
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this thread is already telling of people ignorance and not an artists popularity. Manic Street Preachers, Bon Jovi, Pet Shop Boys and Status Quo? Dont hear of much or at all?

Even Franz Ferdinand, they did that collaboration with Sparks which I thought was quite well known.
    Forum Member

MSP can still enter the top 10 of the UK album chart, but radio and press don't give their new music a lot of airtime or media coverage. A few of my older brother's mates were surprised to find out the band is still recording new music. They haven't had a platinum album since 2002, and other than a few arena shows here and there (usually in Wales, their homeland) they stick to smaller venues nowadays.

If you're going to call someone ignorant, at least do a little research.
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Even Franz Ferdinand, they did that collaboration with Sparks which I thought was quite well known.

It peaked at #17 on the UK album chart before falling out in a matter of weeks. Yeah, I'm sure it's really well-known.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buzzcocks.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judie Tzuke. Still touring and putting out new albums. Seeing her live in June.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It peaked at #17 on the UK album chart before falling out in a matter of weeks. Yeah, I'm sure it's really well-known.

The charts aren't everything, in fact they mean bugger all really. I didn't buy the album and contribute to the chart position but I've listened to it. Most of my mates are aware of it but I don't know any of them who bought it either.
    Forum Member
    MSP can still enter the top 10 of the UK album chart, but radio and press don't give their new music a lot of airtime or media coverage. A few of my older brother's mates were surprised to find out the band is still recording new music. They haven't had a platinum album since 2002, and other than a few arena shows here and there (usually in Wales, their homeland) they stick to smaller venues nowadays.

A platinum album? Hardly anyone has a platinum album these days as album sales have fallen off a cliff. The Manics were only at arena size for a short while, they have always done the smaller venues.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

they have new stuff played regularly on the UK's most listened to radio station, weird you are saying they arent getting the airplay. Also they played arenas on their 2015 tour, and their 2016 tour, outside of wales too.
    The platinum albums that you spoke of were a best of collection, they tend to get gold discs.
    Not a fan but I hear them a lot, they are played on radio 2 a lot, they are still relevant, just not for you.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    The Magic Numbers. They're still going, although (and it pains me to say) the last couple of albums weren't all that.

Space, off of 90s Britpop. Not so much "still going" but have been reformed for the past couple of years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I have noticed is that a lot of defunct older bands of the 70s, 80s or 90s have been reforming over the last six or eight years.

Something to remember when arguing the bit out is that "you don't really hear of now" is open to interpretation. Casual listeners may assume someone is dormant. Fans or people who keep up with goings on are more likely to know if the same artists are still active.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manic Street Preachers

You mean the same Manic Street Preachers who are doing Wales' official song for their Euro 2016 campaign?
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Just putting together my new playlist for this week and what should pop up but the new track from Roxette.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Hmmm - quite a few of the acts mentioned here are still famous! I'll add a few:

Lucie Silvas - she had several hits about 10 years ago, including 'Breathe In' and 'What You're Made Of', but got dropped by her label after her second album underperformed. Last year she independently released a new album 'Letters To Ghosts' which is really good!

Sarah Whatmore - had two hits after being on Pop Idol, 'When I Lost You' and 'Automatic', and then seemingly vanished. She actually released a brilliant album 'Time To Think' in 2009 and is releasing new material this year!
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking a bit older...The Moody Blues, The Hollies, ZZ Top, Supertramp, The Strawbs, Simple Minds?, Killing Joke.....
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    pussycat dolls?
    Forum Member
    pussycat dolls?

I think you may be confused as to the thread title.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJ/ producer/ writer Richard X released two great 'mash-up' singles under the name Richard X v Sugababes/ Liberty X in the early '00's. Haven't heard about him since, so looked him up. Turns out he's still going strong as a producer and writer to this day, he just doesn't put songs out under his own name anymore.

I really liked Mylo's work back in the day, which was about twelve, thirteen years ago. Wiki shows him as active only up to 2009 and even his official website appears to be defunct, so Lord knows what he's up to now.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joss Stone
    2003-2005 were her golden years. She doesn't sell as much these days but she still makes music, can sell out tours and runs her own label. She is much more acclaimed and respected in the US than she is here. She also works a lot of Dave Stewart.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

I really liked Mylo's work back in the day, which was about twelve, thirteen years ago. Wiki shows him as active only up to 2009 and even his official website appears to be defunct, so Lord knows what he's up to now.

He has a Twitter and a Facebook page. Both are reasonably up-to-date (March).