Lady Gaga IS BACK - Perfect Illusion - 9th September

Comments

• Options
    Wayne321Wayne321 Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Yeah I just wish the verses were a little longer as the song is quite short

I was thinking the same thing, catchy as hell though!

If this is any indication of what her new album is gonna be like - i'm sold. I loved Born This Way and this sounds like it belongs on it.
  • Options
    TomAceTomAce Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Upon a few listens, it sounds pretty generic to me. It doesn't have the catchiness or the layers that Applause had (even if the quality of the rest of that album was questionable).

It's OK, it just sounds a bit like they are trying to turn an average song into an anthem by ramping up the production noise. It's a far cry from a return to form IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #2 now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Yeah I just wish the verses were a little longer as the song is quite short

it gets even more catchier with each listen...

MISTAKEN FORRRR LOOOOOOOOOOOVE :cool:
  • Options
    eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wayne321 wrote: »
    #2 now

You mean 42 or u on about us Coz in the uk she hasn't cracked the top 40 yet in iTunes
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    It may not sound like a huge hit but I really love it. It does sound more BTW than anything else in her career, my favourite album of hers.
  • Options
    Skittle BombSkittle Bomb Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much better than anything on ARTPOP

Omg I love it
  • Options
    max_garfieldmax_garfield Posts: 3,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The song is stuck in my head!!
  • Options
    AlexvnderAlexvnder Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pleasantly surprised! I wasn't expecting the instrumental and the rock vibe at all but first listen, I love it! Yeah it does remind me of The Fame/BTW, both of which I love and are much better than ARTPOP.

I'm feeling very happy and can see this being #1 :) well worth the wait!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    I'm underwhelmed. But i don't hate it, i basically feel the same way i did about Britney's Make Me, so perhaps this too will grown on me like that did.
  • Options
    Bettty BooBettty Boo Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Have to be honest I think Applause was a better lead single. I don't think this quite has the hook to hang around the charts for long but I'm liking the 80s guitar feel of it. So it does bode well for the album.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Just sounds pretty generic to me.
  • Options
    PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just sounds pretty generic to me.

I like Gaga but disappointed with this generic track, was hoping for a great song but Bad Romance this ain't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get what you guys mean about it not having staying power. Maybe this will just be a warm up single and the next one will be the biggie.

I mean having now had it on repeat a lot I'm not really sure if Radio One will play list this. :confused:

That said though its a grower.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely a grower. I love the middle-8, especially the "ecstasy" harmonies.

I love her lead single always sound completely different to their predecessors.
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only heard a bit on ITV just now. Sounds rather generic to me too.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    It's ok, it seems to build up to something then doesn't go there, and very it's very short

She's said on grimmy theres a Florence duet on the album, looking forward to that
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it. A great comeback song.:)
  • Options
    evkylemeatsixevkylemeatsix Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I think it's a great song!!

The Madonna comparisons are coming in already!! Papa Don't Preach - the "it was a perfect illusion" sounding like "I'm keeping my baby" - which I kinda agree with
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a great song!!

The Madonna comparisons are coming in already!! Papa Don't Preach - the "it was a perfect illusion" sounding like "I'm keeping my baby" - which I kinda agree with

Not seeing the Madonna comparison this time but I do hear Bon Jovi vibes.
  • Options
    max_garfieldmax_garfield Posts: 3,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very rocky and theatrical, I love it!
  • Options
    Aiden JamesAiden James Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit disappointed. The production on the song is brilliant but I wouldn't expect anything less from Mark Ronson, I think it sounds like Prince.

However having waited with excitement for weeks and weeks the lyrics are 80% of her just singing 'it was a perfect illusion' and it doesn't go anywhere. What is the churous exactly? there is no big moment. I think it was highlighted on ARTPOP that Lady Gaga actually isn't a very good song writer tbh and this just confirms it. I hope the album is better.

Also she said this would be the dance track for a generation... I'm not seeing it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit disappointed. The production on the song is brilliant but I wouldn't expect anything less from Mark Ronson, I think it sounds like Prince.

However having waited with excitement for weeks and weeks the lyrics are 80% of her just singing 'it was a perfect illusion' and it doesn't go anywhere. What is the churous exactly? there is no big moment. I think it was highlighted on ARTPOP that Lady Gaga actually isn't a very good song writer tbh and this just confirms it. I hope the album is better.

Also she said this would be the dance track for a generation... I'm not seeing it?

This has always been her biggest problem. She claimed ARTPOP would change music. In the end it was just a generic pop album. Sia's The Greatest is epic both the song and video. Gaga needed something huge because Beyonce is also running rings around her.

I think Lady Gaga is in danger of being left behind.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, never underestimate the DS forum's capacity to like anything Gaga related.

I think this song is terrible, stuck between experimental and dance-pop but failing at both because it commits to neither.

I was vying for a Gaga comeback but based on this the album could go either way now. The public will be very unforgiving of another dud in a row.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds underproduced, almost like a demo. Her vocals sound shrill, virtually no chorus, boring lyrics and it just sort of plods along. Very disappointing. I get what she was going for. But there's a difference between trying something different, and then trying something so different that you end up not even sounding like yourself.