The Worst Witch

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My review of the show, if anybody's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLkoRDkhqvk

Anybody remember this show? I love it! Anyway...has anybody seen 'Weirdsister College'? There are some clips online but still...I've never heard of it!

It's apparently a spinoff show from The Worst Witch, following Mildred Hubble as she goes to University. It aired on CiTV...

Was it just me who was bypassed by this?!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never watched the show but the books were brilliant when i was growing up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I recently re-watched the entire series of The Worst Witch and I agree with the part of your review where you said you fell in love with it again.

I tried to give The New Worst Witch and Weirdsister college a go but they were both dreadful. None of the newly introduced characters were likeable at all.

I think some of the magic of the original Worst Witch series was that all of the characters were so lovable. Kate Duchêne will forever be remembered by me for her fantastic portrayal of Miss Hardbroom - she was so evil but so, so enjoyable and lovable at the same time.

I followed the entire series when I was growing up and remember being disappointed when they got rid of Miss Batt. She was awesome. I think the entire group of teachers had fantastic synergy and the show just doesn't work (or in my mind, exist - I refuse to let the spin off shows taint the original) without them.

Needless to say, it was an excellent series and it's still enjoyable to this day for me. And I am 20 years old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    never watched the show but the books were brilliant when i was growing up!
    I did like the books, but preferred the TV show!
    Starcaller wrote: »
    I recently re-watched the entire series of The Worst Witch and I agree with the part of your review where you said you fell in love with it again.

I tried to give The New Worst Witch and Weirdsister college a go but they were both dreadful. None of the newly introduced characters were likeable at all.

I think some of the magic of the original Worst Witch series was that all of the characters were so lovable. Kate Duchêne will forever be remembered by me for her fantastic portrayal of Miss Hardbroom - she was so evil but so, so enjoyable and lovable at the same time.

I followed the entire series when I was growing up and remember being disappointed when they got rid of Miss Batt. She was awesome. I think the entire group of teachers had fantastic synergy and the show just doesn't work (or in my mind, exist - I refuse to let the spin off shows taint the original) without them.

Needless to say, it was an excellent series and it's still enjoyable to this day for me. And I am 20 years old.

I quite enjoyed The New Worst Witch, but it's definitely not as good. Alice Connor was a gem as Hettie. The teachers definitey made it what it was though. x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Worst Witch was my favourite show as a child! Is it on youtube? I'd love to watch it again if possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Worst Witch was my favourite show as a child! Is it on youtube? I'd love to watch it again if possible.

There are clips...I THINK the episodes are all there, but I could be wrong. x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I used to read the books as a child, I liked the early series of the show where they actually followed some of the stories, but then its started to annoy me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    There are clips...I THINK the episodes are all there, but I could be wrong. x

Thanks, I've found most of them on there! yay
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    My review of the show, if anybody's interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLkoRDkhqvk

Anybody remember this show? I love it! Anyway...has anybody seen 'Weirdsister College'? There are some clips online but still...I've never heard of it!

It's apparently a spinoff show from The Worst Witch, following Mildred Hubble as she goes to University. It aired on CiTV...

Was it just me who was bypassed by this?!
    Ah. The Worst Witch. I liked it too. Back when CITV were still making decent homegrown children's dramas.
    As for why you might've missed 'Weirdsister College', it would've been because it only lasted one series I think.
    A while back I actually started a thread asking why that was.
    I got the answers from other DS members on why it wasn't successful (or at least theories) but I've forgotten them all now!:D Maybe I'll dig up my old thread to remind myself of it or perhaps someone else can answer that question on this thread.
    As for the new Worst Witch, I didn't think much of it either. They shoud've left well alone there.
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    amy it seems you have great choice in kids tv :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOVED the books as a kid.

I also enjoyed the first few series of the TV programme on CITV. Ahhhh memories :(:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    LOVE that Windows Movie Maker intro.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVE that Windows Movie Maker intro.

Is it WMM? Dunno...didn't make it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original worst witch was fantastic.

The new one however was awful, just like when they started messing around with Bernard's Watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Cjw wrote: »
    The original worst witch was fantastic.

The new one however was awful, just like when they started messing around with Bernard's Watch.

I LOVED the worst witch, the books and the programme. The new worst witch was bearable but it was never the same. I seem to have missed Weirdsister College as well.