Sports that you CANNOT bring yourself to watch

124»

Comments

• MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dressage - horse in a sand pit. What a lot of crap.

May as well have Olympic dog walking.

Rhythmic gymnastics - skipping and jumping with hoops and ribbons?

I'd rather watch an egg and spoon race on the balance beam.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    I find myself watching sports during the Olympics that I would NEVER watch at any other time. There's just a special vibe and atmosphere that makes everything so watchable (apart from a certain 'swimming' event ;) )

I understand. I never watch lots of sports unless it's during the Olympics. HOWEVER, I cannot bear myself to watch weightlifting, it's just cruel in case something BAD happens (and it's NOT gonna be pretty), and it really lacks the aesthetics (unlike gymnastics and synchronised swimming)
  • A4papertoosmallA4papertoosmall Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walking, it's the most pointless thing ever, watched some archery earlier, god it was boring. I think all the anti-equestrian comments are reverse snobbery honestly.

But why beach volleyball AND regular volleyball? Do we really need both?

And synchronised swimming? A sport? Really? And where are the men? Oh right, it's really nothing to do with sport at all, is it?!

Why some alleged "sports" and not others? Why no cricket? (not that I'm a cricket fan, but still). :sleep:

The Olympics now seems to be all about bringing together a mulifarious circus of sports, humans indulged in physical/sporting activity that normally do the world circuit but the olympics brings them together in one place at one time in every four years.

Some sports exist in the Olympics for historical reasons, others because sporting culture has changed. Hence, we no longer have the sack race or tug of war as we did in London 1908, but we will jave golf in Rio, probably because of commercial reasons and the TV audience it attracts.

Should BASE jumping be included as an Olympic sport? It requires dedication skill and training?

Is sport to be defined as a single minded dedication to a physical pursuit?

Surely then the Para Olympics should surpass the Olympics, given the dedication of its participants? In the face of overwhelming challenges?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Hockey is the only one I cannot bear to watch.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Laura* wrote: »
    The yachting. Even though we do really well in it I just don't get it and can never figure out what is going on. :o

You should watch some of the coverage now, they use lots of computer graphics that make it a lot more obvious what is happening.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archery..........What on earth are those things they're using to shoot arrows? Whats all the bars sticking out of the bow for? Its a wonder they dont have remote control on them so they get it in the middle every time. Let them use old fashioned bows & see how good they are.

Pistol shooting...........Dont know how they see what theyre shooting at holding the gun at arms length. Ive had more bullseyes shooting at some tin cans in my garden with a bb gun.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's an olympics thread but I cannot resist ignoring American Football and Baseball as 1 and 2.

As for the Olympics, I'm flicking between the 25 odd channels and settling on most. The ones I'm most likely to skip over, in order:

1-Dressage
    2-Syncronised Swimming
    3-Beach Volleyball

There will almost always be something I find more enjoyable than any of Fencing, Basketball, Wrestling & Weightlifting.

Cannot get into Gymnastics either, as pheonemenally talented as they all are, as nice as the GB team members seem and despite our medal chances,I think it's the judging that puts me off.

The endurance events (bar the walking even though they walk marathons in sub 3 hours) are top of my lists

Road cycling, Triathlon, Marathons, 10K swims, love watching how the races unfold.

track cycling, rowing, athletics, swimming & hockey I could watch all day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dressage is one sport that makes no concessions to the spectator. You have, whatever, 50 horses all trying to do exactly the same thing. The best equestrian sport is the show-jumping element of the modern pentathlon. The riders only get to see the mounts 10 minutes before they compete, and the horses sometimes get very stroppy indeed. There was a famous incident in Mexico 1968 when a German lost a certain gold medal because his horse refused every jump, and when he got off he had to held back from punching it by his team-mates.

Normally I don't watch gymnastics but now that Britain is officially Good, I will have to watch some.
  • KerangKerang Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hockey, so boring. I have zero interest in the Tennis at the Olympics so won't be watching any. I'm yet to see shooting so cant judge that 1 really, but I reckon it could be boring. Horse events, omg no way. Water Polo, think its called, damn that was boring.
    I will watch and have watched many sports and have loved them in these olympics, really enjoyed weightlifting, archery and some diving that was on earlier :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kerang wrote: »
    Hockey, so boring. I have zero interest in the Tennis at the Olympics so won't be watching any. I'm yet to see shooting so cant judge that 1 really, but I reckon it could be boring.

No, it can be pretty dramatic. Watched a final today and the top three were changing places after every shot.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    Dressage is one sport that makes no concessions to the spectator. You have, whatever, 50 horses all trying to do exactly the same thing. The best equestrian sport is the show-jumping element of the modern pentathlon. The riders only get to see the mounts 10 minutes before they compete, and the horses sometimes get very stroppy indeed. There was a famous incident in Mexico 1968 when a German lost a certain gold medal because his horse refused every jump, and when he got off he had to held back from punching it by his team-mates.
    Didn't the Beeb get criticised last Olympics for showing a long 'comedy' compilation of horse chucking off their riders and crashing through the jumps? There were some nasty falls.
  • KerangKerang Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it can be pretty dramatic. Watched a final today and the top three were changing places after every shot.

Ok cool, I will give it a try when its next on:)
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archery
    Weightlifting
    Shooting
    Boxing
  • ScarletStarletScarletStarlet Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've given pretty much everything a go over the last couple of days. I even found myself getting excited over the women's Archery final earlier.

This probably just means I need to get out more :)
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Olympics now seems to be all about bringing together a mulifarious circus of sports, humans indulged in physical/sporting activity that normally do the world circuit but the olympics brings them together in one place at one time in every four years.

Some sports exist in the Olympics for historical reasons, others because sporting culture has changed. Hence, we no longer have the sack race or tug of war as we did in London 1908, but we will jave golf in Rio, probably because of commercial reasons and the TV audience it attracts.

Should BASE jumping be included as an Olympic sport? It requires dedication skill and training?

Is sport to be defined as a single minded dedication to a physical pursuit?

Surely then the Para Olympics should surpass the Olympics, given the dedication of its participants? In the face of overwhelming challenges?

they used to have a tug of war? shame they got rid of it, that would have been cool.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennis
    and the horsey stuff

although i don't think sports like football/vollyball should be at the olympics

for me the olympics should be about targeting, strength, endurance, speed
    and mostly individual/pairs, or relay
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menoetius wrote: »
    Dressage - horse in a sand pit. What a lot of crap.

May as well have Olympic dog walking.

Rhythmic gymnastics - skipping and jumping with hoops and ribbons?

I'd rather watch an egg and spoon race on the balance beam.

I'm surprised you havent given it a go if its so easy.

The only sport I have watched so far is eventing dressage which has put GB nicely in third position for the cross country which I will be watching today.

I will of course be watching the pure dressage individual and team events in Aug and have tickets for the freestyle individual grand prix final.

Just as well we are all different.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say there are a few events where I have been left with the opinion that "that's not a real sport". Granted the people involved are about 500% fitter and more dedicated than I will ever be, but still...If I met an Olympic Gold Medalist I'd be impressed, but if they then said it was in one of those sports my excitment and worship would then drop sharply and I'd be left with the feeling of "Oh, never mind". :p

(I won't list them because fans of those "sports" will take offence at my utterly unreasonable views :D)

However what I will say is that whilst I am quite aware of the skill that fencing required and certainly considerer it a proper sport, I can't stand the olympic version (and I assume the same version is used in all other contests).

It basically seems to come down to who can stab the other first. Even if you would, in effect, be fatally run though seconds later it's OK as long as your foil lands first.

That's not proper fencing! I want feints and parries, I want the clash of steel, I want scars on the cheeks, the cutting off of buttonhole flowers, I want swinging on chandeliers and pulling rugs from under your oppponent, I want the involvment of candlesticks, full flagons of wine and the stealing of roast chickens. That would be a contest worth watching. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    The commentator on BBC1 now has just said that he thinks the olympics should be the pinacle for the sports that take part - I think that's a good way of putting it. Things like tennis (which I love) that has the Grand Slams or football that has it's own major trophies shouldn't be in it.
    Yeah but on the other hand . Smaller countries that are not as sucsessfull might think its a good chance to win something and showcase there talents and really go for it (Just look at Hondouras)
  • bluebluecowbluebluecow Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wont be watching football, having started to compete in dressage after 24 yrs of riding, Its like learning to ride again, Its so difficult, and I only do walk and trot lol. Its the fact that to turn the horse you use the opposite leg and rein then the way you want to turn, your hands and legs have to do 4 different things at once, one leg to keep the motion and get the horse to work through its back, one leg to balance and help the horses bend, one hand to control the speed, one hand to help maintian a bend and the balance the horse. Very hard. Now to do a canter piorette (sp) you have to have a horse cantering on the spot, that is very hard for a horse and a rider has to balance it.
    For me I appearchiate all the sports where you have to have skill, have enjoyed watching the gymanstics, swimming, diving, archery and fencing so far, Used the catch up for the dressage and looking forward to the cross country today.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wont be watching football, having started to compete in dressage after 24 yrs of riding, Its like learning to ride again, Its so difficult, and I only do walk and trot lol. Its the fact that to turn the horse you use the opposite leg and rein then the way you want to turn, your hands and legs have to do 4 different things at once, one leg to keep the motion and get the horse to work through its back, one leg to balance and help the horses bend, one hand to control the speed, one hand to help maintian a bend and the balance the horse. Very hard. Now to do a canter piorette (sp) you have to have a horse cantering on the spot, that is very hard for a horse and a rider has to balance it.
    For me I appearchiate all the sports where you have to have skill, have enjoyed watching the gymanstics, swimming, diving, archery and fencing so far, Used the catch up for the dressage and looking forward to the cross country today.

Yep not quite playing in a sand pit is it ;) Given up competition now as a student but they dont call it stressage for nothing.
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Anyone tried watching the sailing?

I'm sure its very exciting and competitive for the people involved, but its not the easiest thing to follow on TV.

Just seems to be a load of boats sailing round in random directions and they then tell you Ben Ainslee needs to finish in 17th position to get a gold medal...:confused:
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tennis. What tedious nonsense it is............:sleep:

Motor sport is beyond tedium too and there are others that I'd go out of my way to avoid,enjoy limited overs cricket though..........;):o
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    any sport