Most Depressing Years?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Obviously depressing and bad things happen in every year but some years are just non stop misery one thing after the other. Two particular years scream out at me

Having read my history books it seems nothing went right in these two years, packed full of disasters

What years do you think are among the most depressing?

Comments

• Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which disasters happened in those 2 years? Obviously there was Hillsborough and 9/11 but what else?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Obviously depressing and bad things happen in every year but some years are just non stop misery one thing after the other. Two particular years scream out at me

Having read my history books it seems nothing went right in these two years, packed full of disasters

What years do you think are among the most depressing?

I agree with you about those two. Both were certainly momentous, if nothing else - and momentous years are often very stressful ones.

I also found 1998 quite depressing as well.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Which disasters happened in those 2 years? Obviously there was Hillsborough and 9/11 but what else?

Foot and Mouth in 2001 - piles of burning cow carcasses

Tiananmen (sp) Square in China in 1989

Fall of the iron curtain in Autumn 1989, preceded by months of trouble in the countries concerned. End of the (then) existing world order.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2010. Hideous year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Foot and Mouth in 2001 - piles of burning cow carcasses

Tiananmen (sp) Square in China in 1989

Fall of the iron curtain in Autumn 1989, preceded by months of trouble in the countries concerned. End of the (then) existing world order.

Surely that was a good thing.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2012 was a very depressing but very good year too.
    The good part was the London Olympics and getting to enjoy it with the people here on DS.

On the major downer side it was the year my dog was put to sleep after having her for 17 years and the year my sister found out she had cancer.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Why is a depressing year for you i particular? Sure bad things happened but unless you're directly affected you shouldn't let those sort of events affect you like that.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was the year Princess Diana died, and there seemed to be an air of depression for weeks on end. It was a weird and unsettling time. Anyone who can remember it will know what I'm talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is a depressing year for you i particular? Sure bad things happened but unless you're directly affected you shouldn't let those sort of events affect you like that.

They aren't depressing years for me inparticular, i don't even remember '89, i was 4! I was wondering what years were generally depressing for the world in general not for a person individually. Or for me. I'm just asking a question out of interest and to have a thread

i wasn't anymore depressed in 2001 than i always am :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    1998 was an eventful year.

Omagh bombing
    Kosovo War
    Second Congo War
    Guinea-Bissau Civil War
    Manila school siege
    Sidi-Hamed massacre
    US embassy bombings
    Eschede train disaster
    China Airlines Flight 676
    Swissair Flight 111
    Indonesia riots
    Afghanistan earthquakes
    Papua New Guinea tsunami
    Yangtze River flood
    Nigeria pipeline explosion
    Hurricane Mitch
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly. You'd be a wreck if world events affected you personally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Exactly. You'd be a wreck if world events affected you personally.

They don't.

I just wanted a discussion, nothing personal about it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Between 1985-89 were pretty bad what with
    Bradford City fire
    Hysell Stadium ( Juventus v Liverpool)
    Challenger Shuttle
    Lockerbie
    kegworth plane crash
    The Great Storm
    Clapham Train crash
    Kings Cross fire
    Herald of Free Enterprise ferry capsize
    And Hillsborough

My own personal year was 1982

My mother died
    Lost my job
    Lost my holiday money on the way to my holiday
    Failed my driving test

Anyway as a wise person once said

Always look on the bright side of life
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    That is a very sad personal year for you - hope life got better!
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    1939 - 1945 for obvious reasons. Not to mention 1914 - 1918, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a lot of bad things happened in 1963;

One of the worst winters on record,
    Kennedy murdered and his supposed killer also murdered,
    The Profumo scandal,
    The Great Train Robbery,
    The Moors Murders,
    Death of Pope John XXIII who made a lot of welcome reforms,
    Hurricane Flora in Cuba & Haiti, kills thousands.
    Dam bursts in Italy, several thousand die.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    They don't.

I just wanted a discussion, nothing personal about it

The jobless or those in receipt of wads of benefits are those most likely to be up this time of the morning.

\;-)
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Quite a lot of bad things happened in 1963;

One of the worst winters on record,
    Kennedy murdered and his supposed killer also murdered,
    The Profumo scandal,
    The Great Train Robbery,
    The Moors Murders,
    Death of Pope John XXIII who made a lot of welcome reforms,
    Hurricane Flora in Cuba & Haiti, kills thousands.
    Dam bursts in Italy, several thousand die.

But on the plus side the Beatles got their first number 1 single and "From Russia With Love" the second Bond film came out, although it was a rather slow adventure. And I celebrated my minus seventeenth birthday.

I second 2001, seemed the Millennium had been a bit of a high with the world getting more advanced and more progressive, in terms of the internet and technology and there were loads of tech companies cashing in on the internet, people trying to become dot com millionaires, then 2001 came the dot com crash, everything started to slow down, we had the foot and mouth scourge on the countryside, it set the tone as pretty depressing in comparison to '99 and 2000 even before 9-11 which seemed to go on to cast a shadow over pretty much all the noughties that followed it.
    Personally in 2001 I got seriously depressed dropped out of college courses etc.

It's interesting that 1989 should be mentioned, I don't even know much about the year, I was really much into my childhood and not really interacting with the outside world to have any substantial memories of it, but it's a year that seems as if it would have been depressing, even from just the point of view of some of the pop music we got in that year, it seems that it actually was quite a drab year.

2002 was also a pretty depressing year as well, as was 2003 with the start of the Iraq War.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It was the year Princess Diana died, and there seemed to be an air of depression for weeks on end. It was a weird and unsettling time. Anyone who can remember it will know what I'm talking about.

Yes. The year that Labour took over:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogface wrote: »
    The jobless or those in receipt of wads of benefits are those most likely to be up this time of the morning.

\;-)

Can you please explain what that has to do with the topic of this thread? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member

\;-)

Or the students :D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

\;-)

Well done for that old chestnut. They might be shift workers or work from home.

=

As for me personally, it would be 1991. December specifically, where I lost my job, my girlfriend (at the time), wrote my car off and got assaulted (meaning I couldn't spend Christmas with family) all in the same month.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    1986, because it was the year The A-Team finished.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

\;-)

Or people that work night shifts even.