Options

Coast

Comments

• Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I don't know what the problem is with Nicholas Crane.
    Is Mr Jolly Hockey sticks (chubby faced fella, who's name escapes me) in this series?

That reminds me, must find out when Lucy Worsley is next on the box.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what the problem is with Nicholas Crane.

I don't understand what it is either, to me he's one of the best presenters on TV and if I know he's presenting something I'll almost always watch it - I'm seldom disappointed. I find him much more interesting than the rather dull Neil Oliver though he has done some pretty decent programmes as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    I don't understand what it is either, to me he's one of the best presenters on TV and if I know he's presenting something I'll almost always watch it - I'm seldom disappointed. I find him much more interesting than the rather dull Neil Oliver though he has done some pretty decent programmes as well.

I find both of them personable and informative, then again I'm a straight bloke, so fail to see anything else in Oliver's favour.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I seemed odd to have an English folk singer singing a song in English about the Kelpie. I would have thought there must be some more appropriate Gaelic sings that someone like Julie Fowlis could have sung.

There is the grave of a Kelpie woman in Olrig old churchyard.

I feel a bit sad that no one seems to know who June Tabor is, or to know the song about the Selkie of Sule Skerry. :(

I agree with you, though, that they should have got someone from the islands to sing the song - I did wonder why they got June (apart from the fact she's recorded it), as far as I know she lives in England!

I enjoyed last night's programme - I like Nick and Neil, and don't miss Alice.

But they seem to have picked up the habit, so prevalent on TV these days, of recapping every 2 minutes. Very annoying.

Either finish each piece before you go to the next, instead of chopping them up, or assume that your viewers are able to remember what was happening on screen 5 minutes previously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I was looking on wikipedia last night,
    (Where we all know that everything is true, isnt it?)
    and it seems that Alice isn't in this series,
    but can't seem to find out why?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking on wikipedia last night,
    (Where we all know that everything is true, isnt it?)
    and it seems that Alice isn't in this series,
    but can't seem to find out why?

I mentioned earlier, she is now a Professor and probably has plenty of other commitments.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The story of the Iolaire is one of the most heart-wrenching stories I know - to have survived the horror of war and then to die almost on your own doorstep...
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found tonight's show a lot more interesting and the bit about the great eastern ship was good.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I'm thoroughly enjoying this series.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Tim Hunkin's amusement arcade - I want to play that "Bash The Bankers" game!

Always wondered what happened to Tim Hunkin. His "Secret Life of Machines" series was a great programme.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a new series?

Even though I love Coast (and Alice, especially) one of the problems is that it is repeated so often you never know when a new series is starting - and I cannot remember seeing it advertised recently.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found tonight's show a lot more interesting and the bit about the great eastern ship was good.

One of those fascinating stories that I know next to nothing about, that crop up on Coast. William Thompson - what a genius - the cleverest most useful inventions really are so often disarmingly simple.

Never tire of seeing the Isles of Scilly on telly - I've visited Bryher and it feels like the edge of the whole world never mind England!
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am feeling very underwhelmed by this last series,i cant put my finger on why though

yes there is no Alice and hardly any Neil or Miranda but it is something else they have changed in the style of the content that is making me go make a cup of tea through it.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Forgot this was coming back, Series 8 started last week.

Wednesdays 8pm, BBC Two.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mvlc
  • Options
    buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note Neil Oliver features in next weeks show - I thought he had left or are they using an old piece of film ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to have Coast back and going to Australia is a great idea. There's plenty of coastline there to keep them busy for years.

Just a shame there's no Dr Alice...
  • Options
    buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Oliver has returned in triumph - not a whiff of Nick Crane or any of the others :D
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Just a shame there's no Dr Alice...

...However we do now have Anthropologist Dr Xanthe Mallett

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoD5xYlIYAAtI-Q.jpg:large

;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I though Coast Australia was OK
    Notice its back in the UK tonight are these new?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I though Coast Australia was OK
    Notice its back in the UK tonight are these new?

I didn't bother watching the other night as I assumed it as a repeat - but I've just checked and it is indeed a news series - Series 9, would you believe. I love Coast but it is repeated so often that it's hard to tell whether shows are new or repeats.

The only bad news is that there's no Dr Alice but Dr Miranda is still there.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, I missed the first episode of the new series! I wonder if it will be repeated? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, I missed the first episode of the new series! I wonder if it will be repeated? :D

I'm sure it will be repeated many times in the future but in the meantime it's on iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b9wks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching the new series now?
    Also annoying the search seems broken on many forums now its not just DS had to put my user name in google to find this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh didn't know is was a new series, assumed it was a repeat, didn't even look at the details in the scheduler.
    I haven't seen any trailers for a new series.
    I'll download it and add it to my collection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There in Margate again but its new.