Options

Sam Bailey's record deal ends in 2 weeks?

2»

Comments

• Options
    kandinskikandinski Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After telling us a million times,Ive looked after my kids,its my time now....Imn ready for this....nothing will stop me...she goes and gets pregnant.

I actually can understand syco being pissed off.Selfish mare.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TreyC wrote: »
    Oh an wa? Maybe the public preferred a voice like hers to win. Whether be a flop or not, they chose her at the time as the deserved winner. Nicholas never done much with his release either so I can't see him being more of a success and I don't know what's happened with Luke. You can't say the public got it wrong, she was the best of a bad bunch.

Talk about miss the point of the post
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stroop X wrote: »
    Oh, come on, there have been plenty of useless winners. Winning a TV show vote doesn't mean much when it come to actually selling your music in the real world. Especially given that most voters don't actually buy much music.

One Direction were already gathering a huge international following when they were on the show – it's hardly a surprise that they were given a big push. They were invested in because Simon (sensibly) thought they could deliver on that investment. And they have, in huge truckloads of money for everyone involved. Nobody is going to invest that sort of money in somebody like Sam Bailey or Steve Brookstein, because a) that would be stupid, and b) it would be a lot quicker and easier just to burn the millions of pounds involved.

Ultimately it's up to the artists involved to take the huge platform given to them by the show and make it work for them. If they can persuade a record company that they can deliver on any investment made in them, then they will probably get a lot of help, but nobody should presume that anyone owes them anything just because they won a talent show.

Look at James Arthur. While not everyones cup of tea, he definitely had the potential to be a current, credible, relevant act in todays market. The success of John Newman, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran etc shows there is room for male singer/songwriters. Unfortunately for James, he blew a gold plated opportunity by acting like a bit of a tw*t. No one to blame but himself there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TreyC wrote: »
    Oh an wa? Maybe the public preferred a voice like hers to win. Whether be a flop or not, they chose her at the time as the deserved winner. Nicholas never done much with his release either so I can't see him being more of a success and I don't know what's happened with Luke. You can't say the public got it wrong, she was the best of a bad bunch.

Luke has been working all year on writing his own music with some really good songwriters(LTA) and will be releasing early next year.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kangroo4 wrote: »
    Luke has been working all year on writing his own music with some really good songwriters(LTA) and will be releasing early next year.

Nicholas is also writing and recording at the moment. His second album (or first proper, if you prefer) is due early next year.

People are so often keen to brand people a success or a failure very quickly and gloat accordingly. The fact is that any musical career, or creative career for that matter, will have it's ups and downs. Success as a 'pop star' depends on material above anything else. You could add to that the tricky and imprecise art of capturing a part of the zeitgeist. Sam's problem appears to be that Syco are unwilling to bother investing in original material for her so she doesn't have much of a chance of ticking either of those boxes. As far as they're concerned if they can milk SuBo for all she's worth with inexpensive cover version after cover version why can't they with Sam?

In many ways I think Sam is a victim of being at an 'awkward' age. She's too old (or too mumsy) to be 'fresh and exciting' but too young to really go the SuBo route. Still, if she's let go by Syco she may be better off given their fondness for draining every last drop of potential short-term revenue from their assets regardless of the damage it can cause to long term and sustainable success - she'll have a chance to retake the reins herself and reap the benefits wherever that may take her. Even if she's reduced to essentially being a minor tv personality that's got to be substantially more lucrative than being a prison guard.
  • Options
    Stillsy88Stillsy88 Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    She's better off with another label who can really let her show everyone how good she is.

Her voice for me is the best X factor has ever seen.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She couldn't have timed that pregnancy much worse. Shame really, would have been interesting to see what position she'd have been in if she'd had the time to put a proper album together.

Yes, from the point of view of her career, the pregnancy was unfortunate, and it's impacted in a number of ways. She's not been able to get in the practice and stagecraft skills, which showed in her performance on Saturday. Also, and I don't want to be accused of being "lookist", or anything else, but the wardrobe department let her down. A long dress with cleavage, or flowing top and trousers, would have been more flattering, and might have given her more confidence. As I said in another thread, I fear her ship has sailed.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is everyone talking like she's been dropped already? Unless you've been privy to meetings with her manager and Syco you have no idea. This whole article sounds like a publicity stunt anyway for the special edition of her album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    The success of John Newman, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran etc shows there is room for male singer/songwriters. Unfortunately for James, he blew a gold plated opportunity by acting like a bit of a tw*t. No one to blame but himself there
    Yeah, was never much of a fan, but James Arthur definitely had some potential to succeed if he hadn't acted like a total idiot. That was definitely a case of self-destruction.
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stroop X wrote: »
    Oh, come on, there have been plenty of useless winners. Winning a TV show vote doesn't mean much when it come to actually selling your music in the real world. Especially given that most voters don't actually buy much music.

One Direction were already gathering a huge international following when they were on the show – it's hardly a surprise that they were given a big push. They were invested in because Simon (sensibly) thought they could deliver on that investment. And they have, in huge truckloads of money for everyone involved. Nobody is going to invest that sort of money in somebody like Sam Bailey or Steve Brookstein, because a) that would be stupid, and b) it would be a lot quicker and easier just to burn the millions of pounds involved.

Ultimately it's up to the artists involved to take the huge platform given to them by the show and make it work for them. If they can persuade a record company that they can deliver on any investment made in them, then they will probably get a lot of help, but nobody should presume that anyone owes them anything just because they won a talent show.

Well said.The show is Simon's investment,why would he invest further in people who wouldnt bring returns?