Which do you find most offensive?

13»

Comments

• Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Well, neither you nor I can say whether that is true. Personally I think you are absolutely wrong but that's another debate.

Yes you can say it is true. There is no such thing as God - he did not create the world in seven days and he isn't looking down on us from a place called Heaven !
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    bookaddict wrote: »
    I'm an atheist too. So is my husband. But our best friends are Muslim; in fact they were the witnesses at our wedding. They read their holy book, just as Christians read their holy book (which also has some objectionable things in it. But I can categorically say that I'd trust either of them and their families with my life.

It is always heartening to hear that Muslims do not take their scripture literally. As I have said previously on this forum I think most Muslims are more humane than their religions version of God.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    that is so true about some of the religious people, the bible bashing headmaster at my school did not like it if the atheist kids do not want to say the prayers or sing any of the hymns he said it was disrespectful not to take part, butthe jewish kids were let off>:(

You must have gone to the same school as Ricky_Barby
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Spot on OP. Every Muslim in the world supports the publication of a tract calling for my death and eternal damnation. (I'm an atheist)

Well if any Muslim wishes to contest that I am listening.

You live in a country full of citizens, politicians, and a head of state who support such a publication.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You live in a country full of citizens, politicians, and a head of state who support such a publication.

Many of them support the Bible even more so and the Bible really isn't much better than the Qu'ran.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Many of them support the Bible even more so and the Bible really isn't much better than the Qu'ran.

The Bible has historical references such as Romans, Pharaohs, Israelites, Pontious Pilate and a narration of what happened by the Apostles. The Quran is the unerring word of Allah and us often wrote in present tense.

See if you can spot the difference.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    The Bible has historical references such as Romans, Pharaohs, Israelites, Pontious Pilate and a narration of what happened by the Apostles. The Quran is the unerring word of Allah and us often wrote in present tense.

See if you can spot the difference.

The Bible contains some Grade A hate speech, although most Christians in the Western world interpret the Bible in a more moderate manner. The same can't be said in the likes of Nigeria an Uganda though.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    The Bible contains some Grade A hate speech, although most Christians in the Western world interpret the Bible in a more moderate manner. The same can't be said in the likes of Nigeria an Uganda though.

I would think all holy books have hate speech in them.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silent enablers who agree with the extremists are more common in Islam than utopians would believe.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

The earliest Christian doctrines were established at the Council of Nicea 1,700 years ago, Christianity has been enshrined by doctrines since then and it still bound by them today.

Islams doctrines are Quran and Hadith there has been no attempt to change the ideology in 1,400 years.

Regardless of country using ancient words to make modern laws is wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The earliest Christian doctrines were established at the Council of Nicea 1,700 years ago, Christianity has been enshrined by doctrines since then and it still bound by them today.

Islams doctrines are Quran and Hadith there has been no attempt to change the ideology in 1,400 years.

Regardless of country using ancient words to make modern laws is wrong.
    you are so right this is the 21st century we need modern laws for the times we live in NOT ancient laws.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you can say it is true. There is no such thing as God - he did not create the world in seven days and he isn't looking down on us from a place called Heaven !

No I really can't and neither can you whether you think it or not. I think the second sentence is completely irrelevant and meaningless to most people in the world who are given to a religious or spiritual frame of mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Both are outdated and shouldn't be taken literally. They were written by priests and clerics, thousands of years ago. They weren't written by God or Allah.

Possibly stoning was a suitable punishment thousands of years ago. Now it's not. Now people are imprisoned. It would be like still living in hay huts when bricks and mortar exist.

I'm of course not suggesting prison for infidelity or anything ridiculous.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All those old religious texts are full of contradictory BS nonsense.

May as well worship Beowulf for all good it will do.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think both the bible and the Koran contain some scary bits. The bible also contains some lovely bits. I'm sure the Koran does too.

If we are being asked to compare and contrast Islam and Mohammed then - In terms of the earthly figureheads i.e. Jesus and Mohammed, I am not a Christian but Jesus wins hands down.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It was the Bible I was talking about. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    I think both the bible and the Koran contain some scary bits. The bible also contains some lovely bits. I'm sure the Koran does too.

If we are being asked to compare and contrast Islam and Mohammed then - In terms of the earthly figureheads i.e. Jesus and Mohammed, I am not a Christian but Jesus wins hands down.

I like Jesus, and I like Mohammed. But which is better? There's only one way to find out...
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I like Jesus, and I like Mohammed. But which is better? There's only one way to find out...

A cage fight between the two of them and see who wins ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just came across this on youtube JESUS VS. MUHAMMAD!! (Qur'an Challenge II): http://youtu.be/RwluC6GoKLE
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For me nothing beats Dave Allan and the pitched battle between the Pope and Archbishop of C.

If Dave Allan was still alive he's be dead by now :p as he would have had a go at Islam. Although his humour was primarily affectionate and came from his childhood. I still think he'd have had a go.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    but you cannot defend what my headmaster did in making people say prayers and sing hymns against their will as he's was taking ways there freedoms.

Prayers are meaningless unless you mean them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Prayers are meaningless unless you mean them.

To me they are totally meaning less as i'm an Atheist.As is singing hymns or RE.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both are outdated and shouldn't be taken literally. They were written by priests and clerics, thousands of years ago. They weren't written by God or Allah.

Possibly stoning was a suitable punishment thousands of years ago. Now it's not. Now people are imprisoned. It would be like still living in hay huts when bricks and mortar exist.

I'm of course not suggesting prison for infidelity or anything ridiculous.

Tell that to the Saudi Arabian Royal family and it's clerical authorities.

It just turns my stomach to see Western leaders crawl around these barbaric dark-age savages just because they have oil (made from trillions of fossilised organisms - very ironic because IIRC the Quran makes no mention of evolution).