Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I truly believe there are episodes out there somewhere. Where they are & who has them, I have no idea, but I'm hopeful that they will come to light one day.
    This thread is always fun to read, with the rumours upon rumours of new finds.
  • Bruin ParkerBruin Parker Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I agree. This thread is the reason I even look at the Digital Spy site.
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Love this thread.

Keep posting the rumours. It raises our hopes and that's better than a certain knowledge there is none existing.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished The Smugglers recon. I have to say it's a nice little story but I can see why it isn't really well liked as there is a lot of fighting / suspense which just doesn't work well with stills and audio. I now really want this to be found as I think it will be like Enemy of the World, and with video will be much more fullfilling.
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Seems more likely as we know there's a missing Episode 3 to be accounted for from the set that was recovered.
    Rooks wrote: »
    So I saw reports on Twitter that someone had "Web 3" for sale and it sold last night for an undisclosed sum. I think many had debunked it as being fake, which seems 99% likely as this person just happened to have the only missing Web episode that's a bit too co-incidental to me. Stranger things have happened though.

I'm a little curious on this missing episode, episode three. When Philip Morris found WoF & EotW he stumbled on a complete Enemy and 5 of 6 episodes of Web sitting there collecting dust. So episode 3 was simply not there wasn't it -? It wasn't a case of it was there but the condition was beyond repair -I think that's right on this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It just seems a little odd that you would have two almost complete stories sitting there. It makes me wonder if episode 3 is out there, the best place to look for it is still back in Nigeria (or the last place this copy of the story was before being transferred to Nigeria). Having said that I'm sure Morris is well aware of this and done his best to try and track it down.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Just finished The Smugglers recon. I have to say it's a nice little story but I can see why it isn't really well liked as there is a lot of fighting / suspense which just doesn't work well with stills and audio. I now really want this to be found as I think it will be like Enemy of the World, and with video will be much more fullfilling.
    I agree. From the short Australian censor clips that survive, it looks like a well-done adventure story. And there's the Captain Avery aspect that ties it in with Curse of the Black Spot.
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    I'm a little curious on this missing episode, episode three. When Philip Morris found WoF & EotW he stumbled on a complete Enemy and 5 of 6 episodes of Web sitting there collecting dust. So episode 3 was simply not there wasn't it -? It wasn't a case of it was there but the condition was beyond repair -I think that's right on this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It just seems a little odd that you would have two almost complete stories sitting there. It makes me wonder if episode 3 is out there, the best place to look for it is still back in Nigeria (or the last place this copy of the story was before being transferred to Nigeria). Having said that I'm sure Morris is well aware of this and done his best to try and track it down.

I thought he did find episode 3 with the others but it was too degraded. Could be wrong though.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Thought he'd said that the can for episode 3 was empty, but could be wrong....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was probably mistaken... all the articles I can find merely say 3 is still missing.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    He talks about it in an interview with DWM;
    “They weren’t actually at the station they were sold to, they were at a relay station. In Nigeria they have an internal bicycling system. We had the privilege of working with the Nigerian Television Authority, who have been a great help to us in determining what they had of their own recordings and overseas recordings. Fortunately for us, I was at a station, and I saw a piece of masking tape on a shelf. I looked up and it said ‘Doctor Who’. And I thought, ‘That looks interesting!’ I pulled a film can down and I saw the story code: ‘Doctor Who. PP’. I thought, PP, let me have a check. I checked on my list and realised this was an episode of The Enemy of the World. So I pulled that can down, I saw there were six cans, and I thought, okay, there are six cans, so it’s possibly complete – but we’ll have to check that the contents match the cans, as cans get reused, or people put things in the wrong place. Then I counted another set of cans, which was Episodes 1 to 6 of The Web of Fear, except Episode 3. Episode 3 was not amongst them. So I checked those, they were complete, and I thought ‘Well, that’s not too bad!’”
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Smugglers soundtrack CD is great fun! Exciting, dramatic, mysterious, Love it. I have a few of the recons, and The Smugglers is the only one I tried watching. My attention wandered very quickly, and Mrs Chuff nodded off to sleep. Recons are not for me, I think, while soundtrack CDs most certainly are for me. For years, received wisdom is that The Smugglers is crap. I would very much refute that comment based on the soundtrack, just as I would refute that Evil of the Daleks is the best thing ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Smugglers soundtrack CD is great fun! Exciting, dramatic, mysterious, Love it. I have a few of the recons, and The Smugglers is the only one I tried watching. My attention wandered very quickly, and Mrs Chuff nodded off to sleep. Recons are not for me, I think, while soundtrack CDs most certainly are for me. For years, received wisdom is that The Smugglers is crap. I would very much refute that comment based on the soundtrack, just as I would refute that Evil of the Daleks is the best thing ever.

The recons are fairly good. The only one I've drifted off during so far was The Massacre, but it's a fairly dull story anyway. They have the surviving footage inserted so it's as close to seeing it as we're going to get.

People thought Enemy of the World was crap, until it was found.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The recons are fairly good. The only one I've drifted off during so far was The Massacre, but it's a fairly dull story anyway. They have the surviving footage inserted so it's as close to seeing it as we're going to get.

People thought Enemy of the World was crap, until it was found.

I thought Enemy was fine on CD. Plenty of twists and turns, new characters and new locations. The Massacre really grabbed the attention, and I thought it was properly dramatic and powerful.

Abominable Snowmen and Evil of the Daleks ... yawn ...

The soundtrack CDs are a great way to discover stories we're (probably) never going to get to see. The recons have passed me by, though. I can't sit and look at still photos for very long, regardless of how good the soundtrack is. The recon on Web of Fear DVD was a mighty challenge, and Mrs Chuff was amazed to have remained conscious throughout it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Enemy in recon form also. It seemed a welcome change of pace from all the Bases Under Siege, and I was so pleased when we got that one back.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have all the missing episodes on cd and have so far avoided the recons but been looking at the recons for the daleks masterplan on youtube and dailymotion and I think its really good. Tempted to watch the massacre and marco polo next. One question. Where do they get the images from for daleks masterplan? As far as I know there are no telesnaps existing for this story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have all the missing episodes on cd and have so far avoided the recons but been looking at the recons for the daleks masterplan on youtube and dailymotion and I think its really good. Tempted to watch the massacre and marco polo next. One question. Where do they get the images from for daleks masterplan? As far as I know there are no telesnaps existing for this story.

Telesnaps exist for all missing stories except one episode which if memory serves is one of Marco Polo. Watching the recon for Marco Polo, each episode has images so you don't notice. Again I could be wrong on the serial, but 100% all the Hartnell episodes are served by either actual DVd released episodes/animations or recons.

Dalek Master Plan has telesnaps for all episodes, and 3 of the 12 exist in the archive. They are all on the Lost in Time DVD boxset. The only episode/recon which may not be available is episode 2 of The Underwater Menance. This is found, but as yet unreleased as they are animating the two missing episodes for a DVD release which keeps getting pushed back. I'm 99.9% sure a recon was made before the discovery so you can "watch" it entirely but LC won't recon existing episodes so if it wasn't released before the discovery, it won't have a recon.
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telesnaps exist for all missing stories except one episode which if memory serves is one of Marco Polo.

Sorry, but no.

There are no tele-snaps known to exist for Marco Polo 4 or the two missing episodes of The Reign of Terror from Season 1.

Galaxy 4, Mission to the Unknown, The Myth Makers, The Daleks' Master Plan, The Massacre and The Celestial Toymaker from Season 3 are all without tele-snaps.

There are none in existence for the two missing episodes of The Invasion or the five from The Space Pirates from Season 6.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So where are the images from for the daleks masterplan recons? I am puzzled by this.
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So where are the images from for the daleks masterplan recons? I am puzzled by this.

AIUI, they took images from other sources and then got creative in Photoshop, or whatever graphics software they used.

So the images could be from other Doctor Who episodes, of actors in roles from other series entirely, publicity photographs, or even composites from several different sources.

I imagine with Daleks being involved they also used 3D modelling software to generate completely new images.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but no.

There are no tele-snaps known to exist for Marco Polo 4 or the two missing episodes of The Reign of Terror from Season 1.

Galaxy 4, Mission to the Unknown, The Myth Makers, The Daleks' Master Plan, The Massacre and The Celestial Toymaker from Season 3 are all without tele-snaps.

There are none in existence for the two missing episodes of The Invasion or the five from The Space Pirates from Season 6.

They might not be telesnaps but they are images from the serial in question. I've just finished the Hartnell era, and all of his are well represented.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telesnaps exist for all missing stories except one episode which if memory serves is one of Marco Polo. Watching the recon for Marco Polo, each episode has images so you don't notice. Again I could be wrong on the serial, but 100% all the Hartnell episodes are served by either actual DVd released episodes/animations or recons.

Dalek Master Plan has telesnaps for all episodes, and 3 of the 12 exist in the archive. They are all on the Lost in Time DVD boxset. The only episode/recon which may not be available is episode 2 of The Underwater Menance. This is found, but as yet unreleased as they are animating the two missing episodes for a DVD release which keeps getting pushed back. I'm 99.9% sure a recon was made before the discovery so you can "watch" it entirely but LC won't recon existing episodes so if it wasn't released before the discovery, it won't have a recon.

The reconstruction of The Underwater Menace does exist; I have it and have watched it. I will chunk it in the bin as soon as the actual release comes out on DVD, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve finished all of the Hartnell era for the first time so these are my wish list in order I’d like them back

1. Marco Polo

Great story, great production, not at all represented by video.

2. The Myth Makers

I liked this far more than I thought I would.

3. Mission to the Unknown / Dalek Masterplan

Got to be high on the list really. It may sag slightly in the middle but it’s a tremendous story.

4. The Smugglers

An enjoyable romp which will only be more enjoyable with video of the fights.

5. The Crusade

Only 50% missing, but I love this story.

6. The Savages

Felt slightly flat to me.

7. Galaxy 4

We have one episode back already, the story is only OK so fairly low down.

8. The Celestial Toymaker

Same reasons as Galaxy 4, but it’s a worse story.

9. The Tenth Planet

Mainly complete, we have the regeneration already and in fairness it’s a fairly dull story with far to much space talk.

10. The Reign of Terror

Fairly complete, not overly exciting episodes which are missing.

11. The Massacre

Quite probably the most boring story in the Hartnell era. It’s nearly all talking which means video shouldn’t be important, but it was a chore to watch. A story where the travelers made no impact and had very little of importance actually happen to them. Even the fact the Abbot looked like the Doctor went nowhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love The Savages and the musical score is gorgeous. Think it would be surprisingly enjoyable if it were found.

The Massacre would be worth finding just to have that great Hartnell soliloquy about all his companions leaving him. Surely one of his most important acting moments, tragically lost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love The Savages and the musical score is gorgeous. Think it would be surprisingly enjoyable if it were found.

The Massacre would be worth finding just to have that great Hartnell soliloquy about all his companions leaving him. Surely one of his most important acting moments, tragically lost.

It was very middle of the road for me. Not bad, but not great. Hartnell's soliloquy was great and he nailed it which is surprising considering it came from the era where he made the most fluffs.

From what I've seen so far of series 4, Pat's stories will be much better candidates for return, seeing as we only have the poorer episodes complete (mostly).
  • Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I officially declare this thread -

Dead.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I officially declare jake to be... a grave digger :p

This thread is as dead as people want it to be - you don't see me complaining about the empty whoonie inn anymore do you? I don't post very often these days, but my point is that a lot of the "old guard" on this forum have moved on and no longer post, some of whom were contributors to this and the whoonie thread among countless others (glad my spoiler thread remains active though!). Times change.

In other news, did anyone here read the mysterious tweet sent by bbc worldwide recently? "We hope to release more classic Doctor Who in future, we will let you know when we have any news."