Options

Which region produces the best players and why?

catchphrasecatchphrase Posts: 22
Forum Member
I was looking at the birthplace of some of the better footballers produced in England over the years and it seems clear that some of the best players ever come from London, Merseyside and the north east.

It also became apparent that the west Midlands have not produced a really good player since Duncan Edwards.

Can someone please explain why this is?

Comments

• Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Lineker and Peter Shilton are from the Midlands and both count as very good England players.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,251
    Forum Member
    The North-West by a country mile.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Gary Lineker and Peter Shilton are from the Midlands and both count as very good England players.
    As was World Cup winner Ray Wilson.
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    I presume that Barcelona produces the best talent at the moment but going back about 15 years or so I remember compiling an amazing team from Newcastle born players ... Gazza , Waddle , Bruce , Beardsley errrrrrrr ..... Bobby Charlton :)
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ZicoZ wrote: »
    I believe that Barcelona produces the best talent at the moment
    I believe the op was on about birthplaces not clubs.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereabouts in England is Barcelona exactly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume that Barcelona produces the best talent at the moment but going back about 15 years or so I remember compiling an amazing team from Newcastle born players ... Gazza , Waddle , Bruce , Beardsley errrrrrrr ..... Bobby Charlton :)

Is there no escape from the Barca fanboys?

The OP is clearly talking about regions in England. Not Spain. Not the canteras of Spanish clubs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok ok I admit I only read the TITLE !

Did you miss the bit about Newcastle ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the chimp wrote: »
    I believe the op was on about birthplaces not clubs.

I would imagine there quite a few decent Barca born players around !?
  • Options
    redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »

Hate to be pedantic, but as someone born betwteen notts and derby, both of these came from leicester which is of course the EAST Midlands, plus of course Viv Anderson, Tony Woodcock, Des Walker
  • Options
    redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trevor Francis?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is that it ??
    I still think my shout for Newcastle is a strong one .
    I'm sure I missed some more big name Newcastle boys , though .
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be pedantic, Gazza and Waddle are from Gateshead.

As is Andy Carroll.
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually got a question similar to this posted in The Guardian's Knowledge column a few months back, "What small town can claim the most internationals in one squad?". Granted it's not the same question but it may be of interest to you, even if most of the answers were from outside of England...

Second question down. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/18/gods-footballers-players-religion

North-East is certainly a good shout, as is Merseyside. Have their ever been any top players from Cornwall? Cornwall certainly seems to be a bit of a weak spot in footballing terms, I really hope Truro City do get in the Conference South next year.

Slightly off-topic again, but perhaps Netherlands as a whole. How does a country of just over 16,000,000 keep coming out with such great players? If only we knew their secret!
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Ashington would be a good call, as it says on the Guardian site, home to "The Colliers" Ashington FC, a good Northern League side.

I do wonder if the locals just got behind their local team instead of following ones in a different country, with the players we know Ashington can produce, they'd have the potential or rising through the leagues.

You do get a good crack with the fans at a Colliers game. I sometimes pop along after I'd moved up here.