My counsellor called me lazy - fair enough?

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Okay he didn't exactly tell me that I'm lazy, he said 'I put it to you that you're lazy.' I struggled to shake this one off and it did seem rather an unusual thing for a counsellor to say. Maybe he had a point though. Perhaps I make too many excuses for never doing anything and laziness is the issue. Bugged me though.

He did admit that on several occasions he's been close to losing his patience with me. Looking at it from their position, their job is all about seeing people make changes in their life it must be frustrating to have a client who doesn't seem to make much progress.

Comments

• duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seemed to have answered your own question.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he's a kind of anti-counsellor?

I thought they weren't there to tell you what's what and of their opinion but to listen and guide.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Okay he didn't exactly tell me that I'm lazy, he said 'I put it to you that you're lazy.'
    Were you in court at the time?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps he doesn't think you're lazy, but wanted to get you thinking about why you're not trying to make progress. It would appear that he has succeeded.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay he didn't exactly tell me that I'm lazy, he said 'I put it to you that you're lazy.' I struggled to shake this one off and it did seem rather an unusual thing for a counsellor to say. Maybe he had a point though. Perhaps I make too many excuses for never doing anything and laziness is the issue. Bugged me though. .
    So he made you look at something from a different perspective and come to the conclusion that you might, in fact, be lazy ie doing what he is paid to do.
    Sounds like he knows the ropes.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lazy in what respect, and who is this counsellor dude to harsh your buzz ?

Unless you are in the Mafia, then I withdraw my previous comments and am quite prepared to kiss your Don's ring
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay he didn't exactly tell me that I'm lazy, he said 'I put it to you that you're lazy.' I struggled to shake this one off and it did seem rather an unusual thing for a counsellor to say. Maybe he had a point though.
    Perhaps I make too many excuses for never doing anything and laziness is the issue. Bugged me though.

He did admit that on several occasions he's been close to losing his patience with me. Looking at it from their position, their job is all about seeing people make changes in their life it must be frustrating to have a client who doesn't seem to make much progress.

BIB Answered your own question. Why in that case does it bug you? Why should a counsellor waste their valuable time? Do you expect counselling to be an agreement with you deal? Sounds only like you have a good counsellor.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Okay he didn't exactly tell me that I'm lazy, he said 'I put it to you that you're lazy.' I struggled to shake this one off and it did seem rather an unusual thing for a counsellor to say. Maybe he had a point though. Perhaps I make too many excuses for never doing anything and laziness is the issue. Bugged me though.

sounds very unprofessional of him to me
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair councillor's aren't there to wrap you cotton wool , they will at some point start to challenge you and get you to start helping and thinking for yourself
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

why, it sounds like he was doing his job
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why though? Admittedly it depends on the OP's situation.

But I was once told by a therapist that I seem to be drawn to negative situations and it's almost like I 'want' my life to be difficult.

I hated them. I was angry beyond belief. But you know what? They were right. It wasn't a conscious choice but the decisions I was making were indeed usually bad ones. It was only when I realised that, could I actually start making steps to make, you know, better ones!

Maybe the OP is lazy and realising this would help. (I am also chronically lazy, I have to make such an effort to not let myself be!)
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sounds unprofessional about it?
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Why though? Admittedly it depends on the OP's situation.

But I was once told by a therapist that I seem to be drawn to negative situations and it's almost like I 'want' my life to be difficult.

I hated them. I was angry beyond belief. But you know what? They were right. It wasn't a conscious choice but the decisions I was making were indeed usually bad ones. It was only when I realised that, could I actually start making steps to make, you know, better ones!

Maybe the OP is lazy and realising this would help. (I am also chronically lazy, I have to make such an effort to not let myself be!)

Mmmm, yeah, interesting psychological insight, that some seemingly complex mental health issues can maybe be put down to something as prosaic as mere laziness.
    My sis-in-law suffers from Agoraphobia and hasn't left the house in yonks, her own mother says she's just a lazy mare, and loves the all attention from the rest of her family. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Mmmm, yeah, interesting psychological insight, that some seemingly complex mental health issues can maybe be put down to something as prosaic as mere laziness.
    My sis-in-law suffers from Agoraphobia and hasn't left the house in yonks, her own mother says she's just a lazy mare, and loves the all attention from the rest of her family. :confused:

Wow, how's that attitude working for her? And from her own mother! There's the problem in a nut shell.
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there are some bad ones. I had counselling about 10 years ago due to my constant OCD and fear of contamination. The woman basically said all my problems were a)because I hated being gay and b) because i didn't use my brain in my job and had no ambition. I never went again.

Last year I decided to do something as my OCD was getting bad again. Saw a really nice counsellor and she was totally different and made me feel so at ease.

I have a friend who has had the same problems with counsellors, there are some very good and some very bad I'm afraid. A counsellor is not there to tell you you are lazy or anything else, they are there to listen and to help.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »

Which is why I said it depends on the OP's personal situation. I wasn't aware he had complex mental health issues that could be mistaken for laziness.

To the second bit, as a former agoraphobic myself, that is awful for your sister in law and how incredibly nasty of her mother to say that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris1978 wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some bad ones. I had counselling about 10 years ago due to my constant OCD and fear of contamination. The woman basically said all my problems were a)because I hated being gay and b) because i didn't use my brain in my job and had no ambition. I never went again.

Last year I decided to do something as my OCD was getting bad again. Saw a really nice counsellor and she was totally different and made me feel so at ease.

I have a friend who has had the same problems with counsellors, there are some very good and some very bad I'm afraid. A counsellor is not there to tell you you are lazy or anything else, they are there to listen and to help.

Of course there are. The OP has admitted they are lazy. Do you expect a counsellor to let a client do nothing to improve their own situation, which is why it would have been brought up. What is the point in that? They need to bring any complaint up with the counsellor, don't you think? That may be far more productive.
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not there to blow sunshine up your bum.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people are lazy, me included.

Life is a struggle, the only way to succeed is to get off your arse and reach up for something better. No matter how hard it might seem.

The worlds seems full of people who just want to drift along, and hope something better falls in their laps.

Most people won't win the lottery, or be a finalist on some talent show. You can either drift along and pick the low hanging fruit, or reach up to the sky......
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    truth hurts
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Were you in court at the time?

:D:D:D
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people are lazy, me included.

Life is a struggle, the only way to succeed is to get off your arse and reach up for something better. No matter how hard it might seem.

The worlds seems full of people who just want to drift along, and hope something better falls in their laps.

Most people won't win the lottery, or be a finalist on some talent show. You can either drift along and pick the low hanging fruit, or reach up to the sky......

Some people seemingly just get lucky, though.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd say it would be unprofessional for a counselor - who are paid to shut up, sit and listen non-judgmentally.

If it was a psychotherapist or psychologist it'd be a bit different though. They're supposed to ask somewhat loaded questions to get the job done.